shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat''s eye--chrysoberyl?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for sharing my excitement about my little mystery! It''s now in the hands of Harriet, who has access to a refractometer, so with any luck we''ll know soon whether it''s in the chrysoberyl family, at least.

My current guess is that it''s a color-shift chrysoberyl rather than an alex. The color change/shift is really pretty subtle. It may just have to go visit Rich so I can know for sure.

Chrono, was it hard to find your cat''s eye alex?

Rich, you wrote: "There are chrysoberyls (which are not alexandrites) that have different perceived appearances under fluorescent and incandescent lighting. This is a color "shift" due to the lighting rather than a true color change." Can you explain the difference between a color shift due to lighting and a true color change? Is it just a matter of degree, or is there something else going on with the physics? I thought the color change of alexandrite WAS due to lighting. Did I misunderstand?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not particularly, unless I was just lucky that Brad of the GemTrader happened to have several I could choose from.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/20/2009 6:16:08 PM
Author: glitterata
Thank you all for sharing my excitement about my little mystery! It''s now in the hands of Harriet, who has access to a refractometer, so with any luck we''ll know soon whether it''s in the chrysoberyl family, at least.

My current guess is that it''s a color-shift chrysoberyl rather than an alex. The color change/shift is really pretty subtle. It may just have to go visit Rich so I can know for sure.

Chrono, was it hard to find your cat''s eye alex?

Rich, you wrote: ''There are chrysoberyls (which are not alexandrites) that have different perceived appearances under fluorescent and incandescent lighting. This is a color ''shift'' due to the lighting rather than a true color change.'' Can you explain the difference between a color shift due to lighting and a true color change? Is it just a matter of degree, or is there something else going on with the physics? I thought the color change of alexandrite WAS due to lighting. Did I misunderstand?
I think color shift chrysoberyls go from brown to yellow. Alexandrite goes from green to purple, or some reddish color. Someone correct me if I''m wrong.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very interesting mystery. If you lack sun in England you could visit us in Florida. Today it was about 80 and very sunny. But I hope your friend is able to figure out the mystery for you.

9.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so excited for you glitterata! What a great find!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Well, Harriet kindly tried to test it for me but was unable to get a clear reading--she thinks the setting was interfering with the instrument. So I will probably be sending it to Rich to get an answer to this mystery.

Harriet offered another vote for enstatite or possibly synthetic alexandrite.

Whatever it turns out to be is fine with me--I''m just bursting with curiosity!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glitterata - I may have this wrong but I think colour shift is when a gemstones moves to the next colour on the colour wheel or a similar toned colour but a colour change jumps across the colour wheel.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, Glitterata dear. I could take a probe specimen and X-ray it for its diffraction. ;-)

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I really appreciated the attempt, Harriet. As for the offer, I don''t think I''m ready for quite that level of scrutiny...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rich,
I don''t blame you. I can''t wait for you to get your hands on the stone and annouce to everyone what it really is.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The package was processed through the sort facility yesterday at 8:02 PM and is on its way to Sarasota. Should be there tomorrow.

Oh, the suspense!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooooooooooooooh I love a good mystery! I can''t wait to hear the outcome!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It was processed through the sort facility in Tampa 12 hours ago. Took them 12 hours to update the tracking site.

Ooooooo the suspense, the suspense!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So...Rich should have it either today or tomorrow?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I was hoping today, but today''s almost over. So maybe tomorrow.

Then I''ll try to wait patiently for Rich to test it. Hard to imagine, but he may have other things to do besides test my little mystery stone!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I've got watchers posted on the lookout in a three mile perimeter around Sarasota.

So far, no mystery stone.

You can cut the tension with a knife...

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It arrived at the Sarasota post office at 4:09 AM and sorting was completed at 8:47. Soon Rich''s watchers should spot the letter carrier carrying it to Rich.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Whee! Can''t wait to see what Rich finds out about it.

trishy

Shiny_Rock
this is so exciting!!!im gonna be late for work... ohhh the suspense

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it should arrive today. But maybe the mail will be late? Hopefully it will get there by 5pm. And then maybe we''ll know by tomorrow!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha ha, I love this thread! I can''t wait to find out what it really is. Another wonderful find glitterata!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Well, according to the post office tracking site, it''s been out for delivery since 9:17 AM but not yet delivered. (Or if it has been delivered, the site hasn''t been updated to show that yet.)

I have high hopes that it will be delivered any minute now.

And once it has been, I promise I will be VERY patient until Rich has time to test it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might have to be patient but it doesn't meant we have to be as well.
31.gif
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, can''t find the drum.
25.gif
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmming!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Close but no cigar for me.
Thanks, Rich!
36.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Brilliant news Rich!

Ooooo well done Glitterata! I''m very very very pleased for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results