shape
carat
color
clarity

Cathedral setting snagging on everything!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

misskansas

Rough_Rock
I recently got engaged about 6 weeks ago and opted for a 4mm white gold cathedral setting (radiant cut diamond). Every since I got it, I''ve been snagging it on everything! My ring constantly has lint it, scratches everything/people, and it''s driving me insane! I thought I made the right choice, thinking having my diamond sit up higher would really make it sparkly, but now I''m starting to regret it. Two weeks ago, I even had to get the prongs tightened, as I''d snagged my ring on something, and the diamond was rattling around!

Does this happen to anyone else? Will I ever get use to it? I''m considering getting a new setting, but we really have no room in our budget with the wedding ahead of us. So any suggestions, advice, encouragement, comments, etc, etc are appreciated! And if any of you ladies have found a way to stop this problem, it would be greatly appreciated!

1.gif

justageek

Shiny_Rock
Hm. I don''t think it will get better...

I believe it was wallermama whose ring scratched her, DH, and kids. I think she had a trusted jeweler shave down her prongs so that it would stop snagging. Have you talked to a jeweler about it? I''m sure they could give you more options that would allow you to keep your current setting.

What parts of your ring are snagging?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it has something to do with the square stone? I have a very similar setting on my 1.77RB, and (heh, knock on wood!) I have only knocked it hard twice in 3 months, and it rarely ever snags anything at all. Maybe you should get your prongs inspected and see if there''s a rough spot on one or something. Good idea to have it checked for maintenance purposes anyway.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.76 carat round set HIGH (9mm off finger) in a cathedral, and it''s fine, HOWEVER, when it was first made and had split claws, they caught on everything, and 2 days later, a prong broke off. There must be a space between the diamond and prong that is allowing for it to catch/scratch...It has nothing to do with the type of setting,or how high it''s set, it''s the prongs that are most likely the cause.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
My first e-ring setting was a platinum cathedral for my princess cut, and for weeks it snagged or scratched everything, pus DH and me! Over time it got better so you wil get used to it.

Any pictures of this gorgeous ring of yours??
31.gif

misskansas

Rough_Rock
I''ve attached a picture so you guys can get an idea of what the prongs look like.

Basically, I think it''s the prongs that are getting caught on everything, not the stone, since it''s a radiant cut diamond. Thanks for the advice so far, maybe is should take it back to store and see what options I have.

Snagger.jpg

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I agree it''s not the stone or setting you chose, but a prong issue.
Here''s mine, currently I have a 1.3 center stone w/ a taller setting and I''ve never had a problem w/ a prong snagging, it''s 9 yrs old and they''ve never even needed to be tightened.

ringablingmine.jpg

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely get your prongs checked! If it''s snagging that often, there might be a loose prong. When I said it might be the shape of the stone, I meant that perhaps the radiant let things line up more with the prong(s) to get snagged, whereas a round stone might (or might not) sort of send stuff around and past a prong. It only makes sense to me probably.
41.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had an asscher in an X prong catherdal and had no problems. I would take it to the jeweler and have them fix the problem.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also agree that it is more likely a problem with how it is set than the setting itself. Maybe the prongs are not all the way down against the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results