shape
carat
color
clarity

Cathedral setting - bridge height

b2k2

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am looking to get a cathedral setting made in yellow gold with a plain shank. I would like the wedding band to sit flush with the engagement ring. I have started to a have discussions with a local jeweller and am able to give alot of input into the design.

One part I am struggling with is what should the height of the bridge be for my wedding ring to sit flush? The engagement ring is going to have a depth of 1.8mm and so will the wedding band. Should the bridge height be the same or can it be less deep?

Thank you in advance

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has your jeweler provided you with any CAD drawings or are you still in the concept phase?

In any case, I'm attaching a generic diagram of a ring because I want to be certain we are both understanding "bridge" the same way.

Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 3.00.30 PM.png

Okay, so if this diagram comports with how you are using "bridge," then for a flush fit personally I think the bridge height should match the ER/WB band depth. I think it looks better aesthetically and is safer for the integrity and wear of the ER.

In theory, the bridge height could be lower than the band height (as it happens to be shown in this diagram) ... but if you were to wear a Wedding Band with diamonds, the WB diamonds could end up scratching/grinding against the metal gallery/rails of the ER, which you definitely don't want.

If you know you will be wearing a plain metal WB, or would be vigilant in yearly inspection of your ER, then IMO you'd be fine with having a lower height bridge.

b2k2

Rough_Rock
Has your jeweler provided you with any CAD drawings or are you still in the concept phase?

In any case, I'm attaching a generic diagram of a ring because I want to be certain we are both understanding "bridge" the same way.

Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 3.00.30 PM.png

Okay, so if this diagram comports with how you are using "bridge," then for a flush fit personally I think the bridge height should match the ER/WB band depth. I think it looks better aesthetically and is safer for the integrity and wear of the ER.

In theory, the bridge height could be lower than the band height (as it happens to be shown in this diagram) ... but if you were to wear a Wedding Band with diamonds, the WB diamonds could end up scratching/grinding against the metal gallery/rails of the ER, which you definitely don't want.

If you know you will be wearing a plain metal WB, or would be vigilant in yearly inspection of your ER, then IMO you'd be fine with having a lower height bridge.

Apologies for the late response .

Thank you for reply, very helpful. And yes, this is what I meant by bridge :).

I have seen alot of cathedrals with thin bridges and was wondering if wedding bands can sit flush or is there a risk the wedding band rubbing against the gallery?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely agree with @marymm. I think the bridge height should be the same as the wedding band to insure a seamless, flush fit.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I have had two cathedral settings, and neither have had a bridge that matches the height of the band. The total band height is split between the bridge and the cathedral. Here's my current engagement ring. The shank is 1.9mm, and I think my bezel band is around 1.7. It snuggles right under, and did the same on my previous setting. I personally think the head height would be too high if the bridge is the same as the band. I can take more pics if you'd like; I have my old solitaire setting around here somewhere too.

PXL_20230907_174509098.jpg PXL_20230907_170722637.jpg PXL_20230912_210633394.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Regardless, if they are being made as a set your jeweler should.be able to ensure a flush fit, either by raising the bridge, or modifying the heads etc.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@geckodani your wedding set is beautiful!

Fortunately, your wedding band is bezelled, so there are no potential rubbing issues.

If your wedding band was prong-set, however, can you see how the WB's diamond girdles would grind against the metal of your ER? That's not good for the ER nor for the diamonds.

If OP is going to have a plain metal band or a bezelled band, the bridge height could be whatever she finds pleasing -- but if she were to pair a prong-set wedding band with an ER with low bridge, damage would likely ensue.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock

Fortunately, your wedding band is bezelled, so there are no potential rubbing issues.

If your wedding band was prong-set, however, can you see how the WB's diamond girdles would grind against the metal of your ER? That's not good for the ER nor for the diamonds.

If OP is going to have a plain metal band or a bezelled band, the bridge height could be whatever she finds pleasing -- but if she were to pair a prong-set wedding band with an ER with low bridge, damage would likely ensue.

This is true, unless a spacer is worn. Was just sharing my person experience with cathedral settings.

And thank you for the compliment!

b2k2

Rough_Rock
I have had two cathedral settings, and neither have had a bridge that matches the height of the band. The total band height is split between the bridge and the cathedral. Here's my current engagement ring. The shank is 1.9mm, and I think my bezel band is around 1.7. It snuggles right under, and did the same on my previous setting. I personally think the head height would be too high if the bridge is the same as the band. I can take more pics if you'd like; I have my old solitaire setting around here somewhere too.

PXL_20230907_174509098.jpg PXL_20230907_170722637.jpg PXL_20230912_210633394.jpg

Thanks geckodani. Your rings are gorgeous. And thanks for the information, it is very helpful.

b2k2

Rough_Rock

I will be wearing a plain band most of the time, but I also have a prong set half eternity band which I worry will damage the ER if the correct height is not there under the basket. This is the issue with my current ER and need to wear a spacer, so trying to avoid that this time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results