carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 12:48:49 PM
Author: Lovinggems
Shame about the ruby LTP, hope you find the right stone to go with the side traps in the future!
I do have that step cut spessartite coming . . .
3.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 1:24:35 PM
Author: D&T
bummer on the Ruby- can you report on ebay? or give neg feedback? and state your case about the glass filling on your description. You can usually leave feedback even if you cancel.
I''ve already emailed her and told her that she needs to state more obviously that these are fracture filled/glass filled stones.

Since the transaction has been canceled, I don''t see anywhere that I can leave feedback, sadly.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2009 2:06:54 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Shame about the ruby LTP, hope you find the right stone to go with the side traps in the future!
3.gif
It''s still not here?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 2:22:02 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 9/4/2009 2:06:54 PM

3.gif
It''s still not here?
Nooooooo - it was sent out on Monday!!!!
29.gif

Should be here by tomorrow, and if it''s not - I''m going to probably go postal. Or be a little peeved. Or something.
3.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
LTP, Bummer on the ruby and yay! on the spess. Please post pictures when it arrives.

Everyone, nice projects!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So after playing around with the semi bezel idea, I finally decided to send my Barry tsav (see avatar) to Sally for a mixed metal lotus or christie setting(18k yellow head, and the rest in silver). I decided the tsav was already dark enough, and I didn''t want to risk even a semi bezel for fear it''d get any darker. And of course, I love Sally''s work!

I''m sending the stone as soon as she sends me some instructions. In the mean time I''m going to keep waffling between the Lotus and Christie, lol.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2009 5:30:27 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
So after playing around with the semi bezel idea, I finally decided to send my Barry tsav (see avatar) to Sally for a mixed metal lotus or christie setting(18k yellow head, and the rest in silver). I decided the tsav was already dark enough, and I didn''t want to risk even a semi bezel for fear it''d get any darker. And of course, I love Sally''s work!

I''m sending the stone as soon as she sends me some instructions. In the mean time I''m going to keep waffling between the Lotus and Christie, lol.
woot! fantastic! I''m waiting to receive mine back... not sure how long that will be...lol

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

I''m glad you are leaning toward the lotus or Christie, MTG. Frankly, I would LOVE to see it in a Lotus, but whatever you decide, I''m sure will be gorgeous!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2009 5:40:00 PM

I''m glad you are leaning toward the lotus or Christie, MTG. Frankly, I would LOVE to see it in a Lotus, but whatever you decide, I''m sure will be gorgeous!

This might make me sound crazy, but one of the main reasons I''m thinking about not doing the lotus, is because I feel like it will make my pad-lotus ring a little less special, lol. Crazy right?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 5:43:11 PM

Date: 9/4/2009 5:40:00 PM

This might make me sound crazy, but one of the main reasons I''m thinking about not doing the lotus, is because I feel like it will make my pad-lotus ring a little less special, lol. Crazy right?
No, no, no! I totally understand. But, thinking about it, no one you know (unless you know a lot of PSers in person) will likely have anything like it, so if you like it, go for it!

Do you have a pic of the Christie handy, MTG?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2009 11:56:29 AM

Date: 9/4/2009 11:53:32 AM

Date: 9/4/2009 11:39:58 AM

Date: 9/4/2009 11:34:29 AM
What did you find out about the seller''s background? Do you mind sharing it here so that others learn more about him/her too?

History of selling treated rubies and none of her customers are any the wiser, but for some reason pierreone lucked out on her sapphire being the real deal.

The treatment is disclosed in a very flowery inconclusive text, buried in tons of excessive text on all of her auctions is this:

NOTE
... 99% of all ruby is heated up to 2000 degrees to enhance the red color and remove secondry colors of green and blue , during the process microscopic fractures within the stone are healed leaving microscopic traces of residue. This is commonly refered too as glass filling and it is a process which has become generally accepted by the worlds gem trade. You can be almost certain most heated ruby will have traces of glass filling. The amount obviously depends on the size of the fractures within the original raw stone. Those with very few fractures are the most sought after and prized as they retain most of their value. These are beautiful gems at a fraction of the price of unheated ruby. It is these top quality gems i search for and offer for sale.

... The cost of top unheated ruby is very high at around $3000 per carat which takes it out of the purchacing capacity of most people and you need to beware anyone selling unheated ruby at a bargain price. Genuine sellers of unheated ruby don,t sell it cheap and why would they when obtaining the market price is no problem. It just doesn,t happen so be careful and always ask for certification.

... i use the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) Type 2 grading scale for all my rubies. The GIA are probably the most internationally recognised institution for the grading of all gemstones.

Heating is NOT commonly referred to as glass filling as she states. Heating is heating and glass filled is glass filled, which are 2 different procedures. That said, it is implied at all her stones are fracture filled. Good catch, Lauren.
What''s worse is the certification. Why would you offer certification for heat alone on a fracture filled stone?
32.gif

It''s intentionally deceptive, and I''m hating the fact that the store has such high ratings - 99.5% with only 1 neg feedback this year.
Lauren,
As soon as I saw that stone, I suspected fracture filling. Only insist on certs from reputable and known labs. Not all labs are the same, and I''ve never heard of that one. I''m glad you cancelled the purchase. Those rubies are all over ebay and sellers claim gentle heat only. Very deceptive.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock

That is a tough one. I think the Christie really lets the light into the stone.

Just wondering, what made you decide to do a yellow gold head?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2009 9:01:29 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

That is a tough one. I think the Christie really lets the light into the stone.

Just wondering, what made you decide to do a yellow gold head?

I just love the way it looks in Barry''s gold gem holder in the avatar. And I think rich gold and deep forest green look so regal together :)

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Cool, that is a good color combo. I think you would see more of that contrast from the Christi head. The lotus head has really thing prongs and you don't see much of the setting top down (although the profile has a lot of gold). But the lotus is one of my favorites.

Tough choice!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Sorry about the ruby, Lauren!

Lots of pretty projects going on....WOO HOO!!!!

Here is my Julia Taylor key pendant design. She''s working on it now. It will feature a little heart shaped pink tourmaline dangling on it.

Lori

LORIKEYPENDANTBY JULIA.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2009 11:20:25 PM
Author: loriken214
Sorry about the ruby, Lauren!

Lots of pretty projects going on....WOO HOO!!!!

Here is my Julia Taylor key pendant design. She''s working on it now. It will feature a little heart shaped pink tourmaline dangling on it.

Lori
lori- that looks awesome!!! and to add a little gemstone in there, is very creative and an added wow factor! can''t wait to see that one
36.gif

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am a little sad! My supernova from Barry was sent to the wrong shipping center so now it is delayed (no fault of Barry''s, it is USPS mistake)
8.gif
Anyways, just wanted to vent because I was really looking forward to its arrival today!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lori - that''s going to be FABULOUS!!!! Love it!!!!

LG - sorry about the delay due to USPS. I hope it gets to you soon!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Julia got my stone and should be starting on my project very soon
36.gif
I purposly didn''t post a picture
28.gif

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/5/2009 4:36:09 PM
Author: LamborghiniGirl
I am a little sad! My supernova from Barry was sent to the wrong shipping center so now it is delayed (no fault of Barry's, it is USPS mistake)
8.gif
Anyways, just wanted to vent because I was really looking forward to its arrival today!
1236085wkxe7kohyk.gif
ugotmail.gif

What's wrong with the post office!!!? Ugh!!

Can you tell I'm a little bummed out too. That was one of my favorite stones on his last drop and I'm DYING to see your photos of it!!
3.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, hopefully the post office for me and Jstar since we shipped our stones off to Sally today! My tsav and her spinel and garnet are on their way! Wish us luck that they get there safely :)

I still don''t know which setting I want, I wanted to get Sally''s take on it first. Who knows, maybe she''ll come up with a awesome new design for ovals!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and Gene is sending me this lovely grossular. He laughed when I jumped on it. Says he feels like he''s supplying crack to an addict.

1.38ct.GrossularGarnetAsscher6.61mm.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/12/2009 11:46:08 AM
Oh, and Gene is sending me this lovely grossular. He laughed when I jumped on it. Says he feels like he's supplying crack to an addict.
Gene is hilarious. Do you attend "Asschers Anonymous" meetings? LOL!! That looks just like the one Lori got, close in size as well, very nice.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/12/2009 11:46:08 AM
Oh, and Gene is sending me this lovely grossular. He laughed when I jumped on it. Says he feels like he''s supplying crack to an addict.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I love your asscher collection
21.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have this little beauty coming my way next week from Michael. Gotta love a 1/2 price sale!!

cmsCushionTanzanite2.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif

cmsCushionTanzanite.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results