carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Haven't been on PS forever. But looking for inspiration and ideas for a Jeff White Rubellite that has been sitting with Joe Escobar for almost a year now. I can't seem to make up my mind. Initial thoughts were to get step cut half moons. It's an oval, approx 9.5x6.5. Any suggestions?

_35866.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I recently picked up this pretty tourmaline from Select Gem (Jason Brimm)
1.55ct dimensions are 7x6x4

Even though I've been buying way too many gems this year, this is the first one I'm actually itching to get into a setting.
Based on the dimensions, is it possible to find a stock setting? Or do I have to go the custom route?

Edited because I foolishly forgot to add the picture. :doh:
image_4161.jpg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Ooof that is one gorgeous colour...congrats!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooooh... I have drooled over that one when I saw it on FB. Congrats with this purchase.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought that was such a beautiful stone when he posted it - I would love to see any photos you might take to compare with the vendor photo.

As to the setting, you likely would have to go custom, unless you wouldn't mind asymmetry in appearance.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux|1451933532|3970492 said:
I thought that was such a beautiful stone when he posted it - I would love to see any photos you might take to compare with the vendor photo.

As to the setting, you likely would have to go custom, unless you wouldn't mind asymmetry in appearance.

Thank you for the info on setting it. That's exactly what I needed to know. I plan on getting some pictures outside but I feel like it's been perpetually cloudy here. :nono:

acinom and theredspinel, thank you for your nice comments. I felt like I won the lottery, when I snagged this baby (not a paraiba lottery but whatevs). :D

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_71125|1451927700|3970445 said:

Even though I've been buying way too many gems this year, this is the first one I'm actually itching to get into a setting.
Based on the dimensions, is it possible to find a stock setting? Or do I have to go the custom route?

image_4161.jpg

I loved this stone when I saw it, congrats on snagging it! I'm excited to see your in-hand pics!

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock

elle 71125 your new tourmaline is so beautiful. It's my favorite shape and I just love love love the color. I have seen some stock castings in cushion 7x6 but there are not many choices. I just checked Adwar castings and they have 5 options and if you search on "cushion semi mount 7x6mm" on eBay you will find a bunch of halos. Yvonne Raley's latest Edwardian ring holds a 7x6 roval and would work for cushion too (you would have to order it as a semi mount and have it set locally) I have a few 7x6 cushions so I've been looking around at options as well

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I always check LT and DB to see if any setting might work for a stone, too. I've lucked out here and there!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

A little new to me bling... :bigsmile:

saph-smtanz.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Andelain|1452041618|3971344 said:

saph-smtanz.jpg

Gorgeous. I love the color!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_71125|1451938373|3970579 said:
minousbijoux|1451933532|3970492 said:

Thank you for the info on setting it. That's exactly what I needed to know. I plan on getting some pictures outside but I feel like it's been perpetually cloudy here. :nono:

acinom and theredspinel, thank you for your nice comments. I felt like I won the lottery, when I snagged this baby (not a paraiba lottery but whatevs). :D

Overcast daylight often makes stones look their best - give it a try please! :praise:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

elle_71125|1452115717|3971813 said:
Andelain|1452041618|3971344 said:

saph-smtanz.jpg

Gorgeous. I love the color!

Thank you! A sapphire and a Tanz make a great pair!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arialle

Rough_Rock

ilovegemstones|1452219807|3972413 said:
Tiny ruby eyes so this qualifies for the CS section but I mainly posted this in SMTB. My late 1800's diamond and ruby fox stickpin conversion ring. Here is the link:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-diamond-ruby-fox-stickpin-ring.218671/#post-3972410#p3972410']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-diamond-ruby-fox-stickpin-ring.218671/#post-3972410#p3972410[/URL]

The ring is so beatiful :) I especially love the ruby eyes~

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a 5.87 carat pink spinel precision cut by Jerry Newman. The cut is sublime, but at first I was not sure what to think of the color because I typically do not like "earthy" color gems. It shifts from the color you see in this picture to a new copper penny color. I put it away for a few weeks to see what my impression was when I took it back out. Decision made- I love it!
021_1.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LisaRN|1452372127|3973301 said:
This is a 5.87 carat pink spinel precision cut by Jerry Newman. The cut is sublime, but at first I was not sure what to think of the color because I typically do not like "earthy" color gems. It shifts from the color you see in this picture to a new copper penny color. I put it away for a few weeks to see what my impression was when I took it back out. Decision made- I love it!
021_1.jpg

Gorgeous :love:
And it's huge...any plans on setting it yet?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is beautiful...not my usual color scheme either but can see why you decided to keep...it's a stunner.

Hard act to follow given this is the other extreme in size but I've been looking for an inexpensive stack ring setting to mix/match my baby stones for awhile. Those 1/4-1/3 carat gems that I collect for color without breaking the bank. I love how these can be worn different ways and sit against each other on the backside.

The first three stones to be set were my baby paraiba and cobalt spinel and a diamond...with more to follow. For size perspective, the diamond is 3mm (the other two stones are approx 1/4 carat, forget the dims).

stackrings_pariaba_spinel.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

:love: The color, lilmosun. The color. Love them! I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of these. (By the way, may I ask where you got your cobalt spinel?)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lilmosun|1452389306|3973472 said:
That is beautiful...not my usual color scheme either but can see why you decided to keep...it's a stunner.

Hard act to follow given this is the other extreme in size but I've been looking for an inexpensive stack ring setting to mix/match my baby stones for awhile. Those 1/4-1/3 carat gems that I collect for color without breaking the bank. I love how these can be worn different ways and sit against each other on the backside.

The first three stones to be set were my baby paraiba and cobalt spinel and a diamond...with more to follow. For size perspective, the diamond is 3mm (the other two stones are approx 1/4 carat, forget the dims).

stackrings_pariaba_spinel.jpg

Love the vibrant colors! Can't wait for the "more to follow."

S

SparkliesLuver

:lol: :) Love it, Niel! Can't wait to see your pictures.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I just had a danburite set. It is 6mm.
img_3435.jpg img_3452.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Neil- Wow!

Vesper- Love your ring and the danburite. So unique and pretty!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Thank you. It feels decadent having a stone hanging from your finer.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Oh wow what a unique setting vesper. Love it!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Sparklieslover and Lisa! My next stack rings will be a red mahenge (old stock). After that I have an indicolite, a couple of color change garnets and maybe do another diamond one. Now that the casting is done, creating new rings will be inexpensive so I will probably do it over time - for those rainy days when I just want something new.

Sparklies - just saw your question- The cobalt spinel was a random find at a gem & mineral show. I didn't even realize it was a prized Luc Yen spinel, as I never looked for one - one of those stones I always assumed was out of reach. Then I got home and decided to do some research on my "cobalt spinel, vietnam" (how it was labelled). Both the mine (scribbled on the back of the box) and vendor are mentioned in GIA articles on Luc Yen bright cobalts. Unfortunately, the vendor's name escapes me now but I remember it being the only one as it stood out in a tray of spinels...so much so that I bought it immediately without asking any questions other than price :doh:

Niel - Beautiful...I hope that if I am ever looking for a stone, I have your help.
Vesper - what a fun setting!

S

SparkliesLuver

I cannot wait to see the remaining stack rings, lilmosun! They sound wonderful. :D Thank you for answering my question - that's much appreciated. Lucky you for stumbling upon something so magnificent! Wow. How cool of a story.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_71125|1451927700|3970445 said:

image_4161.jpg

I finally got around to taking a couple pictures outside (no judging, it's been freaking cold out there lately). :errrr:
Please ignore the speckles you can see on the gem. It's just a bit dirty. I looked at it under my loupe and it's nice and clean.

image_4189.jpg
image_4190.jpg
image_4191.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results