color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

SparkliesLuver|1435250934|3894147 said:
Hm. It does look pretty good in that picture, Chrono!
It's the 22kt YG ring pictured.

S

SparkliesLuver

I think it actually just might, but you sure know better than I do!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

In this pic Chrono I don't see that the window is obvious. The spinel seems to glow. Jerry told me that faceting a stone actually darkens a stone. So there is a potential the color may change a bit with added facets from a re-cut. Such a nice color- I would leave it as is. But I have no doubt you know more about these things than I do.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Both of you understand my hesitation well; the window isn't obvious unless I zoom in, plus putting it into an enclosed setting makes the colour richer and the cut issues less glaring as well. Given the $150 cutting fee, shipping both ways and all, it might be best to leave it as is. I bought the spinel for far less than that! Then, there is the question of how the colour will be affected too. Decisions, decisions...

S

SparkliesLuver

My gut on this one tells me to leave it as is, Chrono. Initially I was behind your plan, but seeing this picture kinda changes things. Does it look this way any other time?

I'm not so sure I'd take a chance on it darkening in the setting and from faceting. I think I'd be okay with one of those but probably not both.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is a very pretty stone to begin with, which is why it caught my eye. It looks like this quite often. The only lights where it appears silvery white is under LEDs. Beautiful colour outdoors and under fluorescents. I'm definitely leaning towards leaving it alone. I suppose this is proof that colour trumps precision cut for me, as per the recent poll.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's a crude Iphone pic I took in the rain of my newest spinel.

009_6.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LisaRN|1435253130|3894172 said:

WOW! It's gorgeous. Deets, please.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:

Um, ditto! :D

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1435253489|3894176 said:

I am glad you like it Chrono! :) It is a 3.06 carat round, Tanzanian spinel from Tan. It's eye clean but I can see a small iron stain inclusion and a few bubbles under a 30x loupe, but nothing near the surface. AIGS calls the color "pink".

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Really beautiful new acquisitions in this thread, keep 'em coming!!! :appl:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wanted this spinel- dana_1.jpg but it was out of my budget due to my other purchases. So when I saw Tan's spinel, I thought it was very close to what I had wanted, although I am sure Dana's is much nicer.

S

SparkliesLuver

I think I posted that stone before and Chrono questioned if it'd be eye clean. Not sure if that matters to you, but I like the one you have, Lisa!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would not necessarily assume that Dana's spinel would be better, as Tan still has some great, well cut stones from time to time and it looks like yours is one of them.

Chrono: one picture is not quite enough to judge, but that said, your spinel looks pretty. I'm wondering though, whether without a cut it would fit in the setting? Weren't you saying earlier that it was a bit too big for the setting, thus another reason to consider the idea of a recut? If it will fit with some tweaking, you have nothing to lose by setting it as is, and seeing what its like. You can always change your mind and have it recut at a later date.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Minou,
This bench is very good; he can make stuff fit that others won't even touch. :dance: The width is perfect and it is a tad long but when I eyeball it, it looks like it might fit.

Lisa,
It looks like Tan still has good deals on gems. Yours looks very well cut too.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

Just because of curiosity and great Jim McCormick I have two garnets on the way to Finland. Rhodolite has extinction. Jim made very clear that issue, but colour and his offer were too irresistible. Paler Malaya suits well to my summer "activities". On winter, I think, it is too pale.

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/star-star-sold-star-star-3-dot-10-cts-top-red-rhodolite-garnet-with-video

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/2-dot-64-cts-beautiful-pad-like-malaia-garnet-with-video

_31503.jpg

_31504.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Confection10|1435334656|3894782 said:
Just because of curiosity and great Jim McCormick I have two garnets on the way to Finland. Rhodolite has extinction. Jim made very clear that issue, but colour and his offer were too irresistible. Paler Malaya suits well to my summer "activities". On winter, I think, it is too pale.

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/star-star-sold-star-star-3-dot-10-cts-top-red-rhodolite-garnet-with-video

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/2-dot-64-cts-beautiful-pad-like-malaia-garnet-with-video

I like!!! Great choice

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

From the pics I like both of the stones you chose. Please post pics when you get them. :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hope you love them! Please post photos and comments on your feelings once you receive the stones, I would be eager to hear your thoughts. :)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

1.47ct 6mm amethyst purchased from and set by Jeff Davies.

My camera couldn't capture how bright and sparkly they are.

_31916.jpg

_31917.jpg

_31918.jpg

_31919.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Confection - have your stones arrived yet??

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

They arrived yesterday. Here is some quick shots.

_31920.jpg

_31921.jpg

_31922.jpg

_31923.jpg

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

Lovely amethyst, rizeco :clap:

Some more...

_31924.jpg

_31925.jpg

_31926.jpg

_31927.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous studs Ricezo!! Good idea to have it set by JD!

Beautiful new additions Confection. I especially love the deep red.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks ladies! I am so happy with them!

Confection - the garnets are beautiful, I really like the pale one!

BaileyC

Rough_Rock

LisaRN, your new spinel is sooooo pretty!!! It looks like a fabulous cut and the color is perfect IMO. :love:

ricezo, those amethysts have such vibrant color! They look great on you and are the perfect size. :appl:

Confection10, both your stones look great against your skin tone…as does your engagement ring - that’s a beauty! :dance:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

009_6.jpg

What a fabulous stone Lisa!!! Congrats :appl:

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you, Acimon, rizeco and BaileyC. Both are very nice IRL, but in totally different way. Some shots (just noticed I haven't cleaned my halo lately, sorry...)

_31962.jpg

_31963.jpg

_31961.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Ricezo they look gorgeous on your ear. Confection lovely purchase, are they keepers?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I was out of the house for a few hours killing time while some legal work was being done that required my absence. I was sitting on the steps at Tiffany soho with my iPad. Suddenly,or at least after I pressed the right combination of keys, this 6.14 carat chrysoberyl popped into my lap! 8.2 x 10.8 x 7 mm

_31966.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results