shape
carat
color
clarity

Cataloguing your collection

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been low level sick the last couple of days. Not enough to stay in bed but enough to not want to go into the office. So this afternoon as I was feeling a bit brighter I took the opportunity to finally photograph, catalogue and “cost” my jewellery collection.

I managed to put together a PPT and an Excel with a number for every item, a description, cost of purchase (sometimes estimated if I didn’t have the paperwork). I then arranged all my certificates and receipts in the same number order. I have 97 pieces of jewellery, excluding costume, which is shocking and scary (how did I end up with this many bits of stuff?!).

What surprised me is that it was SO enjoyable. I think I must be such a geek to have had such a great time doing something so ostensibly dull! I have such a feeling of satisfaction knowing it’s all in order and if anything was to happen to me my family would be able to easily work out what is what. I now just need to update the will!

Has anyone else done this or am I the only nutcase?

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love that you enjoyed this. I have to do this myself.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
This would be a very useful thing for me to do---I have my jewelry scattered all over, in very unusual places. I don't like using traditional jewelry boxes/organizers (weird, right?) so I have a handful of studs in a coupe glass, other more regularly worn items in a small crystal bowl, a few dbty bracelets in a small crystal box, etc.

Itemizing everything would force me to at least assess my "system" to see if I could find better homes for my things. It worked very well in our last home where my dressing area had an entirely different setup but I haven't bothered changing things based on my current needs.

Additionally, it would create a catalog of what is what & what is where & what it's worth---which is what It is actually meant to do! :)

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I keep an excel log and also photos of all my jewelry. I log the value and who I want to pass it down to etc. It gives me piece of mind in case something happens to me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great idea @Ionysis ! I really need to do this for myself! I have way fewer pieces than you but it would be worthwhile to
document them since my DH doesn't even know what I have (and where its at)!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I keep an excel log and also photos of all my jewelry. I log the value and who I want to pass it down to etc. It gives me piece of mind in case something happens to me.

I think I should probably do this next part too. I’d like to have already put a name next to each piece as I hate the thought of my loved ones fighting about inheritance. And I’d like each of my daughters to receive equal value. The only challenge is that it would also be nice to have them choose what they actually LIKE and, perhaps, would wear. But they are too young for that yet. I thought at least if each piece is documented and has the cost attached they could then choose the pieces they like best and then work out if the “value” is equitable. Maybe I am overthinking it!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
What a great idea @Ionysis ! I really need to do this for myself! I have way fewer pieces than you but it would be worthwhile to
document them since my DH doesn't even know what I have (and where its at)!

Same issue I had. My husband doesn’t have a clue what is what and I didn’t want a ton of money wasted on valuers and appraisals, because as the years go by you lose paperwork and forget the details of the stones etc.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done.
I just did the pieces I’m supposed to sell and went “into shock” at both the number of items and conservative resale value.
And selling has been put on hold, USPS who handles shipping within the US from Australia as well as “to” Australia is on hold with shipping, so I can’t receive or send anything to the US unless I use Fed ex and their prices are :shock:
Everything will go to my daughter in any regard.
What I actually enjoy most is cleaning my pieces. I do it in spurts. Often just bracelets or watches or rings. Tend to do my earrings less often, I find them fiddly to clean.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
This would be a very useful thing for me to do---I have my jewelry scattered all over, in very unusual places. I don't like using traditional jewelry boxes/organizers (weird, right?) so I have a handful of studs in a coupe glass, other more regularly worn items in a small crystal bowl, a few dbty bracelets in a small crystal box, etc.

Itemizing everything would force me to at least assess my "system" to see if I could find better homes for my things. It worked very well in our last home where my dressing area had an entirely different setup but I haven't bothered changing things based on my current needs.

Additionally, it would create a catalog of what is what & what is where & what it's worth---which is what It is actually meant to do! :)

I used to have stuff everywhere too. Then I mislaid a couple of sentimental pieces I didn’t wear often enough to keep tabs on and decided I needed to properly arrange it all and keep things in one place. I confess I do still have a couple of little pots / trays that I plonk items on though. Especially in kitchen and bathroom areas. Good job my kids are old enough not to interfere with things. My husbands wedding ring was lost forever when my then 3 year old daughter decided it was a good toy to play with!

I helped my mom do this some time ago with her collection. I don’t have a big collection of my own yet but it was a really fun experience putting things down in an excel file for her, taking pics etc. I think it’s a hugely valuable exercise that everyone should do!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done on getting this job done! I’ve just been looking through my Ma in law’s jewellery box and it’s a bit horrifying how it’s all lumped together. It has taken hours of cleaning and louping to sort the good stuff out and I have no idea where it came from or if it has a history. It would have been SO useful if she had written even a tiny amount somewhere. Not to mention that we can’t find a couple of pieces specified in her will, it’s all so disorganised they could be anywhere…….:oops2:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really need to do this, I have a list of all my loose gems and diamonds but it needs updating (haven't done that in a while)
I need to do one for my jewelry as well.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm working on mine, in fits and starts. I take a photo or two of each piece, look up any receipts or other info. I can find, write in any other important details, staple it together and put it in a folder that goes in the safe. That's as far as I've gotten so far.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Excel spreadsheet is a wonderful idea for your valuables. I am not a computer person, but I also took an inventory of our personal assets, during quarantine, such as art, oriental carpets, crystal, fine dishes, furniture etc. (Don’t be impressed, no Monet, Tiffany, Noguchi or Faberge in the lot. Just stuff bought traveling and dead relative hand me downs.) I went from room to room, wrote down the description,took measurements,and noted date of purchase and cost. I took a photo of each item with a Quarter coin for size reference and got prints made . I then matched purchase receipts, and estimated values based upon similar items recently sold on the internet or auction. I organized the items based on type( I.e. furniture, rugs, art, glass, ) and used photo album sheets and pocket sheet protectors to hold photos and receipts and internet valuations and put them in a binder for future reference. Everything is in its place, photo, receipt and current estimated value). It took a very, very long time, but it made me realize I have a lot of stuff, not worth a lot, but the sentimental value is priceless. Nonetheless less when I am no longer around, my girls will know a bit about the stuff and what to keep, what to sell and what to donate.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Omg I just counted. Haven’t added up the costs yet but I am SHOCKED that I have 113 pieces of fine jewelry…. And even more pieces of costume jewelry. Do I have a problem or have I simply found something I’m really good at? LOL

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Omg I just counted. Haven’t added up the costs yet but I am SHOCKED that I have 113 pieces of fine jewelry…. And even more pieces of costume jewelry. Do I have a problem or have I simply found something I’m really good at? LOL

Let's call it the latter, and say you're in very good company!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results