shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat rescuers - advice please

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So today my DH texted to ask if I thought a pair of cats might get on with our 18 year old super sweet, slightly shy male as his workmate told him about a pair of 7 year old Burmese brothers who are going to be euthanised this weekend if they don't find a new home because they're peeing inside (so it's their fault even tho the owner isn't doing anything to try and fix it or spend enough time with them :angryfire:). So obviously I said we had to take them in.
I grew up with Burmese as my parents bred them so I love the breed and know some of their quirks but I've never really dealt with neglected cats that have issues so would love some advice. They live with a chug now so are used to dogs and our two are good with cats (if a bit impolite with shoving their noses right up the tailend :rolleyes:).
This is what I know to do:
I've got a Feliway diffuser already. We will be getting them all new bedding of their own (they don't even have that now!!) and toys etc. We will be keeping them in our spare room while we work out getting them settled in and part of the family. We'll set the room up to have lots of safe spaces for them that are high up as well as multiple litter trays away from their food and water.
We will take them to the vet for a check up asap and get as much history from their current owners to find out the cause of their peeing issue as well as checking their vaccinations, microchip etc.
The spare room is our existing cat's pug-free space so we need to work out alternatives for him so he doesn't feel too put out (probably our room haha). He's in great shape for his age and is a chilled sweet dude so we are super keen to make sure he's not at any risk from them.
What have I missed? Our existing cat's safety and happiness is our top priority in all of this so we're also committed to finding a good new home for the new cats if they can't live with him.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have any advice but I want to thank you for giving these boys a chance. I can’t believe the gall of people, putting down cats because of their own negligence. :angryfire:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i can't think of anything else except take your time with the introductions (which i'm sure you already planned on) but wanted to also thank you for giving this pair a place to land. =)

it's disappointing to see people taking their cats to a kill shelter or vet to be put down because they've become inconvenient. :/ people suck.

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always keep new additions separate until a vet checks them over for any possible disease that could pass on to my others.

Find out what they are eating and transition them to a good food. Transition will help avoid tummy upset. Good food may help all sorts of issues.

Remember to get a couple of different scratcher options.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done you.
We have always used baby gates on doorways when first introducing new cats to others. It’s important that they get the opportunity to see each other and smell each other but with a barrier in place.
I imagine the poor cats will be traumatized as it is. Poor poppets.
So I would take it slowly the first few days if they are obviously stressed and upset, basically just going in to the spare room to change litter, food and water, speaking softly and gently all the time and let them settle. After a few days start spending more time in there just chatting away and encourage them to come over with super tasty treats like sardine or roast chicken. Then start with the door open but barricades in place so the other cat and dogs can see and smell each other.
Make sure all intros are done outside the spare room, for the time being don’t let any other pets into the room so the cats feel that is their safe place.
Expect hissing and a few spats and don’t separate unless it gets physical. If it gets physical, go back a few steps and try again slowly.
Most times given time and patience everything can be ok.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh of course! How could I forget the slow introduction - we have baby-gates across the spare room door already to stop the pugs getting into the room. So we’ll make sure the new cats can see and sniff everyone else in the household and vice versa until they’re all happy. Thank you all for your advice :kiss2:
We didn’t want any other cats yet cos of our old dude Finn, but was just so heartsick and angry at the thought of them being put down for stress peeing (which it turns out had stopped and the current death sentence is because of one instance of it!! :angryfire:) that we couldn’t say no.
We might be getting them tomorrow night instead of the weekend I thought we would be getting them! :eek2: Will post pics when they get here.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thank you @foxinsox!!!!! It's more than wonderful you guys are taking these cats in and from the bottom of my heart thank you. So many people treat animals as discarded garbage and disposable beings and it brings happy joyful tears to my eyes when someone like you steps in to save lives of those who are treated so cruelly and inhumanely.

I agree with what has been posted so far.
Take to vet to make sure they are healthy and the urinating outside the litter box isn't from a medical/physiological reason.
Slow introduction. The Feliway spray cannot hurt. Clean litter boxes, good food, nurturing love and security.

Lots of love and nurturing might break them of this habit if it's behavioral. Never underestimate the power of love and comfort and feeling safe and secure.

Please keep us posted and wishing you so much good luck. Thank you for doing this!!!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox You are a wonderful, caring person! Let us know how it goes.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: no cats yet after being told the owner wanted them gone before the weekend. She decided that "but they're my pets" when told they had a home lined up ready to go :rolleyes::(2 she's split with her partner though and isn't home with them very often. The partner doesn't care about them and told DH's workmate today that they crapped in his wardrobe so we might get them today or Sunday. So frustrating! Thankfully the workmate is the partner's BIL so can literally just go and get them, we're not negotiating access with complete strangers. But honestly, I still can't wrap my head around how indifferent these people are to their animals.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: no cats yet after being told the owner wanted them gone before the weekend. She decided that "but they're my pets" when told they had a home lined up ready to go :rolleyes::(2 she's split with her partner though and isn't home with them very often. The partner doesn't care about them and told DH's workmate today that they crapped in his wardrobe so we might get them today or Sunday. So frustrating! Thankfully the workmate is the partner's BIL so can literally just go and get them, we're not negotiating access with complete strangers. But honestly, I still can't wrap my head around how indifferent these people are to their animals.

Oh gawd how awful! I feel for you and the kitties. I went through a similar situation with a neighbor I was friendly with who asked me to please help her find homes for her 3 cats (she was very ill and didn't have much longer to live). Well I pulled out all the stops and actually found an amazing couple who were willing to take all 3! And then last minute she changed her mind and wanted to take 2 of them with her to Montana where she was going to die. At her sister's home and her sister was just a horrible individual. I do not say that easily or often. So trust me when I say the sister is evil. Anyway it was just a nightmare. The whole awful situation. J dying and the 3 cats being separated and not knowing what the fate of the other 2 would be. Long story short the couple involved were able to fly here and adopt the one cat she was willing to let go of and when she died and her sister was about to toss the other 2 goodness knows where the couple was able to arrange transport from Wyoming to where they live. It wasn't easy and every step of the way it was a huge struggle but the cats are safe and sound and happy now. So it was all worth it. Anyway just sharing to let you know I get it and I know if you can make this situation right you will. Sending you buckets of good luck and good thoughts and big (((hugs))).

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the dudes are here and both current hiding under the spare bed - which is fine and what we expected! What we didn’t expect was that they’re actually a Siamese and Havana Brown pair, not Burmese at all :lol-2: they came with a stinky litter tray :roll2:o_O (what!!) but also their vet record books which gives us their breeder’s name, prefix, DOB and vaccination records which good.
For now we’re just letting them settle into their room. One is much shyer than the other so he’ll take a bit longer to settle in but they’re a bonded pair of brothers so I think they’ll be ok. Next weekend we’ll take them to our vet to be checked and chipped.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent news. I’m sure with a bit of time, love and a safe environment they will be able to blossom. It’s more than likely that their toilet issues come from neglect and insecurity.
:appl:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent news. I’m sure with a bit of time, love and a safe environment they will be able to blossom. It’s more than likely that their toilet issues come from neglect and insecurity.
:appl:
That’s what we figure too. The woman we got them off was annoyed that they slept on her pillow and didn’t seem to think that she could always shut them out of her room. Piece of work that one :roll2:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw thanks @bludiva! I think we’re just doing what any good person would do in this situation. I feel so badly for these cats that they’re so scared and uncertain.
Overnight update - we left a side light on and set up a time lapse camera. Both cats came out from under the bed for good parts of the night and some food has been eaten. The Havana Brown, Enzo, was still out and sitting on a chair when we went in this morning and told me vigorously of his opinions. Less growling more chatting tho! The Siamese boy, Jethro (o_O) is firmly ensconced under the bed again. He’ll take longer I think but his brother is the brave one for them.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update on the dudes - both coming out to chat and hang out for smooches and pats. We’ve started letting them casually into other parts of the house. Getting Barry to not bark furiously at them might be a challenge or just a matter of time :roll2: so that’s a work in progress. Got some pictures 9E120402-A4A6-4D61-B7DC-96BD50CF651F.jpeg
CC5B92A0-E5C4-40EE-B581-08B0981A7524.jpeg
16709A61-FAE9-4F3D-A059-5822C82A5F3D.jpeg D2EFF7B9-45E4-4A2D-B520-E3BE21BBD9BB.jpeg
The handsome chocolate fellow is Enzo who we think suits George. His fancy name is Rabzania Daredevil.
The elegant chap with points is Jethro who we think is more properly a Theodore. His fancy name is Rabzania Dark Cloud.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are so cute! :kiss2: So glad they’re feeling more at home.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update on the dudes - both coming out to chat and hang out for smooches and pats. We’ve started letting them casually into other parts of the house. Getting Barry to not bark furiously at them might be a challenge or just a matter of time :roll2: so that’s a work in progress. Got some pictures 9E120402-A4A6-4D61-B7DC-96BD50CF651F.jpeg
CC5B92A0-E5C4-40EE-B581-08B0981A7524.jpeg
16709A61-FAE9-4F3D-A059-5822C82A5F3D.jpeg D2EFF7B9-45E4-4A2D-B520-E3BE21BBD9BB.jpeg
The handsome chocolate fellow is Enzo who we think suits George. His fancy name is Rabzania Daredevil.
The elegant chap with points is Jethro who we think is more properly a Theodore. His fancy name is Rabzania Dark Cloud.

Oh my gosh, so gorgeous.:kiss2: LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So update on the big smooches. We’ve not succeeded in integrating them with our lovely but idiotic and barky pugs which has resulted in some peeing incidents and George starting to stress groom himself :cry2: and attack his brother. Turns out their previous home had non-barking dogs.
We thought we could work through the peeing but when we found out that he was pulling his own fur out and attacking Theo, we knew it wasn’t working. Luckily my DH’s parents have fallen in love with both boys, and while they also have two dogs, theirs are not barky and short sighted pugs. And they recently had to put their lovely old Tonkinese to sleep so have been missing having cats for snuggles.
So last week after some long discussions on what the right thing for the dudes was, we moved them to DH’s parents. And they’re settling in like they’ve always lived there! No peeing, no more stress grooming, lots and lots of purrs and chatting from both cats. So we’re hopeful that this is actually their forever home. DH and I have both been pretty sad to see them go but knowing they’re in a home that works for them makes up for our sadness.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So update on the big smooches. We’ve not succeeded in integrating them with our lovely but idiotic and barky pugs which has resulted in some peeing incidents and George starting to stress groom himself :cry2: and attack his brother. Turns out their previous home had non-barking dogs.
We thought we could work through the peeing but when we found out that he was pulling his own fur out and attacking Theo, we knew it wasn’t working. Luckily my DH’s parents have fallen in love with both boys, and while they also have two dogs, theirs are not barky and short sighted pugs. And they recently had to put their lovely old Tonkinese to sleep so have been missing having cats for snuggles.
So last week after some long discussions on what the right thing for the dudes was, we moved them to DH’s parents. And they’re settling in like they’ve always lived there! No peeing, no more stress grooming, lots and lots of purrs and chatting from both cats. So we’re hopeful that this is actually their forever home. DH and I have both been pretty sad to see them go but knowing they’re in a home that works for them makes up for our sadness.

Awww.....I'm sorry it didn't work out with them in your home, and I know you'll miss them, but good for you both in being so persistent in finding the right situation for them! And yay for your in-laws for opening their home!

It says lovely things about you all that you've had such compassion for them and determination to help them.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @OboeGal but really I feel like we’ve done what any decent person would do for them. I couldn’t bear the thought of them being killed for the previous owner’s laziness in working out why they were peeing. They’re just the nicest friendliest and sweetest animals so we really couldn’t not do our best to find them a good home when it became obvious that our dogs and them just weren’t gelling. We had some good encounters but then the pugs would seem to completely forget they’d met the cats and bark like idiots at them.
And after seeing DH’s dad with the cats, it was only too easy to suggest they might be a better match. Both parents loved the cats but his dad is especially soppy with them which is adorable

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great update! I'm sorry you weren't the perfect match for them but it sounds like they were meant to find you as an introduction to their forever home.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great ending to this saga. I’m so happy you took them in because their owner sounds like a piece of work. Having my own pair of yappy, half blind pugs, I can totally understand why you moved them to your FIL’s house. It seems like they are big animal lovers too. :kiss2: And may I say what a gorgeous freaking pair they are. :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purrrrrfect update and so happy they are in their furever loving home!:appl:
Good job @foxinsox.

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
Aww, amazing work and so happy they found their forever home (and im sure there are others in need if you and hubby decide you need more cats) :)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, amazing work and so happy they found their forever home (and im sure there are others in need if you and hubby decide you need more cats) :)
Oh we shall! Tho we have decided to hold off on more rescues until my beloved old man Finn passes on. He’s going strong at 18 so we might be waiting a while. He tolerated the dudes but wasn’t too happy about them so it’s not fair to him if we bring interlopers in.
02F8D972-B128-4E64-BEB5-AF3C05E82C94.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh we shall! Tho we have decided to hold off on more rescues until my beloved old man Finn passes on. He’s going strong at 18 so we might be waiting a while. He tolerated the dudes but wasn’t too happy about them so it’s not fair to him if we bring interlopers in.
02F8D972-B128-4E64-BEB5-AF3C05E82C94.jpeg

OMG I am melting from Finn's preciousness. What a gorgeous baby.:kiss2: He doesn't look his age at all. What is his secret? :halo:
He looks a little like our Francesca. Please hug him from me. I wanna hug and kiss your Finn so badly.
742469s3709nw4fb.gif

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I am melting from Finn's preciousness. What a gorgeous baby.:kiss2: He doesn't look his age at all. What is his secret? :halo:
He looks a little like our Francesca. Please hug him from me. I wanna hug and kiss your Finn so badly.
742469s3709nw4fb.gif
thank you @missy - he’s a complete lovebug. Always purring and snuggling close. He’s taken to the pugs like they’re other cats and curls up with them to sleep which is adorable. His secret is lots of cuddles and sunshine :mrgreen2: pats and cuddles to Francesca. I absolutely adore black cats :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You and your DH and his parents have the biggest heart. Their new kitties are beautiful and so wonderful that they are full on family members so soon. What a great fit. Bless you @foxinsox

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results