shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat Owners - Cost to Spay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
I adopted two kittens this past summer and it''s time to get the female spayed. What is a reasonable cost? My current vet quoted $350, which seemed really high to me. I called another local vet and was quoted $200. I''m surprised with the big difference. I assume this surgery is pretty standard and I''m wondering what I need to be concerned with when shopping around. Supposedly both places use laser, which is one option I definitely want.

Any advice?

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
$90 ASPCA. I got both of my cats done there. It shouldn''t be over that, ever.
35.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cannot remember how much we paid as we had three cats fixed at once, but I think our female cat was about $80-120ish range. I had to call quite a few vets to find that low of a price. Unfortunetly there are other fees they add on like exam fees, etc., so for all three kitties, we ended up with a $500 bill.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think the higher-cost spay usually includes things like pre-surgery bloodwork and pain meds. While these things are certainly nice for kitty, in a young, healthy female cat they are not absolutely necessary. If you''re concerned about the cost almost any city will have low-cost spay/neuter, either through your local SCPA or some other organization - try googling your city and low-cost or free spay-neuter, or call around and see what you can find out.

And good for you for getting your kitty fixed - its really the very best and most important thing you can do as a pet owner, both for you and for them. I assume the other kitty is already fixed or will be soon?
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
$45 here thru the local humane society.
Its income based but the cut off is very high.
You get a coupon and list of vets that accept it.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow-it''s expensive to get this done in the US. In Ireland, it cost roughly €110 which includes work up before, pain meds during op and sending them home on pain meds after and a check up a couple of days later. I would definitely try and get it done through your spca and give them a bit extra as a donation. That''s what people used to do when I worked in our spca as they were saving so much money getting it done there that they didn''t mind leaving a bit extra for the society.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Cost to save unwanted litters: priceless

Here the cost is around $70 for a male to be neutered but I am not sure for females
$350 however sounds a lot high though.

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone.

Yes, the male kittie is already neutered and he was only about $85. I was just shocked at the high price for the female. I''m going to investigate a little further with some other local places. I think my vet goes a little overboard with the "suggestions". I was talked into getting them both vaccinated for feline leukemia even though they are both indoor kitties. Each time they went for the vaccination (2 for each cat), they added on a "wellness exam" for $40 each cat even though they had each been there 3 weeks prior. $160 extra for vaccinations that were only about $40 total for each cat!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was $100 at animal control, and that was only because it was 'complicated' (she was already in early pregnancy
8.gif
). The vet's quote was more than 3x that amount...ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results