carat
color
clarity

Cat Lovers can sign petition to save cats

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1408056853|3732594 said:
Is there anyone who would welcome a shooting range next to their home? It destroys the peace and lowers property values as well.
This is an area where people work hard to make their farms havens [for people and animals] and an outdoor range is an assault on the senses and well-being of living things.
The properties here are residential but the range is owned by people who don't live in the area. It's a business.
It may be legal, but that doesn't make it right.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here (which I will only do because you Jimmianne, the OP of this thread, made this post, which I consider to be an invitation for respectful discussion at this point).

It IS legal (as you've stated), so WHY isn't it "right"? The owners of this range bought the property (presumably) in good faith, determining that it me their needs (e.g., was large enough, not in a highly populace area, etc.) so that they could run a (presumably, again) safe establishment. I absolutely DO appreciate what you're saying--I would no more enjoy a tap dancing school going in upstairs from me!--but I'm afraid this is a case of NIMBY.

Please understand Jimmianne, I am not *for* a gun range (OR *against* for that matter, as I can see that this may be a valid hobby for people who wish to hone and practice their skills in a controlled environment), but I believe the people who purchased their land for a purpose that is "legal" should be permitted to carry out their business in an area that doesn't not prohibit it. One course one action may be to attempt to change the zoning (is that the right word in this context), but this will likely only apply going forward.

(Edited in an attempt to more clearly state the point of the last paragraph.)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
And this is exactly why I urge folks to do their own research:
http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/the-truth-about-the-goathouse-refuge/Content?oid=3428178
Granted, this could just be speculation (or yet another side to the story), but hoarding approximately 300 cats is likely going to contribute to animal overcrowding, stress, illness, etc. I have no doubt that a shooting range in close proximity could further complicate the issues, but perhaps the Goathouse has other (serious) issues that need to be addressed. Again, I applaud the woman for saving cats, but sadly, it sounds like the refuge has grown beyond what they are capable of handling.
Also, I found an update from the beginning of August where the Sheriff investigated and determined that the noise level from the shooting range was in fact above what the county noise ordinance allows and the gun range has been silent ever since (not sure if that's still the case?). The range is investigating options (earthen berms, planting trees, etc.) in an effort to reduce the decibel level.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^I think the Goathouse Refuge needs lifting up, not tearing down.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1408024243|3732242 said:
I am a fan of cats...

Here's the thing momhappy: Saying something, doesn't mean it's true.

You SAY your a fan of cats. Yet ALL of your posts complain about them, show no empathy for them, or any love of them. So really, the reason why people keeping saying to you "you aren't a fan of cats" is because your walk... it doesn't match your talk.

Now maybe you WANT to love cats. But I've got to say, I've known cat hatters that are more cat friendly and cat advocates than you are in your tone, and messaging on these boards.

In fact most of the time when you SAY you are a fan of cats... it is to PREFACE a completely ANTI-CAT post. It's like someone saying, "I don't mean to offend..." then going on to say something offensive.

Just because they SAID they don't mean to offend doesn't mean that's true. If they really didn't MEAN to offend... they would have just stayed quiet.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Andelain|1408046675|3732523 said:
CJ2008|1408044915|3732484 said:
Andelain|1408038461|3732409 said:
I lost my beautiful Blackfoot a few weeks back. ;(

Oh, no Andelain! :(( Was that the same kitty you had a thread on recently?

So sorry...

Yes, it's in here, [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dust-for-my-sick-kitty-please.198007/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dust-for-my-sick-kitty-please.198007/[/URL] . I still haven't gone back and answered the kind posts in there bacause it makes me cry.

I'm sorry for your loss Andelain. ((HUGS))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1408055408|3732585 said:
Andelain|1408038461|3732409 said:
Yssie|1408038257|3732407 said:
Momhappy, I must apologise for my earlier response to you. I'm far too late to edit, but it was needlessly rude. My only excuse is that I've got unhealthy cats on the brain at the moment and I suppose I'm overly quick to bite anything on the topic.

Posting from my phone and hoping autocorrect doesn't mangle it...

Yssie, just so you know, I'm still sending up lots of dust for your kitty. Really hoping they get to the bottom of her problem soom. And I can relate to the hurting reaction, I lost my beautiful Blackfoot a few weeks back. ;(

My ancient tiny black kitty, Mr.Picky, died two weeks ago. I share your sadness. When they become ill we hold them even closer and then when they are gone it hurts more. I would like to think that the pain is part of being an excellent steward for our dear cats.
I am sorry for your loss, Andelain.

I'm sorry for your loss Jimmianne

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, I am sorry about Mr Picky too. When it doesn't hurt as much perhaps you can share some of the wonderful memories you have of him. Love the name. (((Hugs))).

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Gypsy.

I will now look into adopting another black kitty [adult]. I didn't know that it's hard to find homes for black cats until I asked about adopting a special needs cat in honor of Mr.Picky. Seems everyone wants a kitten and no one wants a black cat.

in response to comments on hoarding; Siglinda is a woman with a kind heart. Where would these cats go if not for her? The shelter here is a kill shelter. She has spent a lot of money on this big operation and has devoted her life to helping cats and other animals. She has a vet who comes every week and a staff of people who clean and feed. The cats roam her fenced acreage until they find forever homes. I'm not sure this qualifies as a hoarding situation.

peace and kitties to all

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1408075461|3732783 said:
momhappy|1408024243|3732242 said:
I am a fan of cats...

Here's the thing momhappy: Saying something, doesn't mean it's true.

You SAY your a fan of cats. Yet ALL of your posts complain about them, show no empathy for them, or any love of them. So really, the reason why people keeping saying to you "you aren't a fan of cats" is because your walk... it doesn't match your talk.

Now maybe you WANT to love cats. But I've got to say, I've known cat hatters that are more cat friendly and cat advocates than you are in your tone, and messaging on these boards.

In fact most of the time when you SAY you are a fan of cats... it is to PREFACE a completely ANTI-CAT post. It's like someone saying, "I don't mean to offend..." then going on to say something offensive.

Just because they SAID they don't mean to offend doesn't mean that's true. If they really didn't MEAN to offend... they would have just stayed quiet.

You are entitled to your opinions about me, which is fine. I am an animal-lover. Period. Do I like cats? Yes. Would I own one? No. I've posted that many times before, so there's no surprise. I like rubies too, but don't want a ruby ring (I'd rather have diamonds ;-) ). For me, I have learned that dogs are a better fit for me and my family, but that doesn't imply that I don't like cats.
I posted the article not to trash the refuge, but to offer up an additional perspective. After all, if you're signing a petition, you ought to know that this is about more than just saving cats. I actually remember seeing this place on the Today Show and it looked awesome. These cats obviously need somewhere to go and this woman has been kind enough to help. However, I also know how difficult it can be to manage large quantities of animals and it's certainly concerning if the number of animals coming in, is much greater than the number going out (for adoption). Maybe some successful fundraising could help to alleviate some of the problems?
Anyone can choose to do what they want with the article - it's not meant to sway anyone's opinions, advocate for anything, etc. I have nothing invested in it either way, so there's no agenda on my part. I truly do wish the refuge the best and I'm sorry to those here who have lost their cats - losing a pet is so hard, so hugs to you:)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, I'm so sorry for your loss. I will be happy to sign the petition. I know how frightened animals get on the Fourth of July. I can't imagine them having to live next to a shooting range and deal with it for many hours every day.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1408103131|3732886 said:
Would I own one? No.

momhappy, there's something you seem to have forgotten. No one OWNS a cat, many of us SERVE one! :rodent:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1408075773|3732784 said:

Thank you, Gypsy. It still makes me cry. ;( ;(

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Andelain|1408216943|3733820 said:
momhappy|1408103131|3732886 said:
Would I own one? No.

momhappy, there's something you seem to have forgotten. No one OWNS a cat, many of us SERVE one! :rodent:

:lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Andelain|1408217059|3733821 said:
Gypsy|1408075773|3732784 said:

Thank you, Gypsy. It still makes me cry. ;( ;(

I totally get it. ((HUGE HUGS))!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results