carat
color
clarity

Cat Experts - Feral Cat?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1412741337|3764084 said:
Gypsy|1412739108|3764066 said:
I hope they don't put it down. I hope they just run some tests, neuter it, and release it into a feral colony somewhere safe.

Unfortunately when I asked the officer last week when she dropped off the trap, she told me that if the animal was completely feral they would have to put it down. I think I'll call tomorrow to see if I can get an update with them directly and tell them that if the animal has any chance I'd be willing to take it.

Yup. That's what I was afraid of.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, it's not possible to save them all, much as we'd like to. And God knows I want to.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
lulu|1412824208|3764651 said:
Unfortunately, it's not possible to save them all, much as we'd like to. And God knows I want to.

Isn't that the truth!

Well I called the shelter today. They confirmed that this cat is indeed NOT a domesticated cat and is, well, essentially a bat out of hell. They said he is just far too ill (severely emaciated) and far too aggressive for them to ever adopt him out, and since they don't know where exactly this animal came from and we are in a busy urban area, they do not do the neuter and release program, so this kitty is destined for euthanasia if he hasn't already been put down. It's sad but I am again thankful for all of your advice and for the fact that he won't have to starve to death but can rather be put to sleep humanely.

Tough life lessons lol!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
;(

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Horrible news, I wish you had trapped him yourself. I think sometimes the shelters are dead wrong because the kitty could have been dumped and scared to death and not able to fend for himself. Makes me ill to think about this. I have rescued a feral Maine Coon mix boy in the US and took him to my rescue group and I was the one taking him to his new indoor home, which he adored and never wanted to go outside again, stopped spraying (even though he was already neutered before he sprayed nonstop before), stopped being aggressive and even became buddies with the other kitty the adopting lady already had. Wished for a success story.

My sister also lost her cat in downtown Paris. The kitty sneaked out an open door that a non-cat lover left open exactly for this reason. She was found four weeks later lying half dead on the pavement and scared out of her mind but a good person took her to a vet where they were able to locate my sister based on her chip and after a week in the hospital she pulled through and became her old self. People do not realize that kitties dumped or lost can act like ferals when they are scared out of their mind. So sad.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results