shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier has made me sick

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
So, as some of you know, I recently bought the 2.9mm Cartier Trinity at Heathrow airport. I love it. On my petite fingers it looks like the Classic. Bargain!

But now, I want the super-skinny 1.8 size...not instead, but AS WELL! To wear not with, but instead, on days I want to be very elegant but discreet.

AND, I already have a ring just like the super-skinny Cartier one that I bought 20 years ago in my hometown's jewellery quarter - not Cartier, but exactly the same size and look, 3-gold rolling ring. Russian wedding rings, as they're called in England.

Yet still I want the Cartier super-skinny. I'm sick...I'm sick...help me...

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1370717575|3461649 said:
So, as some of you know, I recently bought the 2.9mm Cartier Trinity at Heathrow airport. I love it. On my petite fingers it looks like the Classic. Bargain!

But now, I want the super-skinny 1.8 size...not instead, but AS WELL! To wear not with, but instead, on days I want to be very elegant but discreet.

AND, I already have a ring just like the super-skinny Cartier one that I bought 20 years ago in my hometown's jewellery quarter - not Cartier, but exactly the same size and look, 3-gold rolling ring. Russian wedding rings, as they're called in England.

Yet still I want the Cartier super-skinny. I'm sick...I'm sick...help me...

Pull yourself together girl. No sense in buying the same ring twice. Is there anything else you like in Cartier you could buy instead?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
But Doctor, you don't understand. The 1.8mm and the 2.9mm look so different!

Nah, there's nothing else in Cartier. Load of overpriced rubbish. :lol:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ahahaha, you gave me a big giggle, Smith! Funny girl.

Now you need to look at some vendor sites or auction house catalogs or SMTB here, and get crazed for something different. You're brain is stuck in a groove, needs to be jarred out. :bigsmile:

--- Laurie

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol Smith! Yes, you need to start window shopping so you get distracted by some other pretty that strikes your fancy!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
You've caught the disease, too!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have the same disease so I absolutely feel your pain!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I'm almost afraid to post this...but I bought an authentic Trinity on Ebay. I was positive I had to have it. It arrived Friday. I'm not in love with it.
I swooned over all of the pictures on here, trinities with solitaires, trinities with eternity bands, such gorgeous photos, it looked smashing on everyone. But not on me. I am underwhelmed. It doesn't work with my ering or five stone or baguette band.
I think a big part of why I don't love it is that I don't have enough room between the base of my finger and my knuckle.
I don't like it alone either. I'm returning it Monday. I'm glad you love yours Smith :)) Maybe my post will talk you off the cliff :cheeky:
Pics:

trinity_with_five_stone_band.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Woofmama - I totally respect your decision, but I gotta say, it looks pretty stunning in that picture! But definitely a good idea to return it and save your fun money for something you absolutely love.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, sorry you're disappointed Woofmama :(( I think it looks beautiful on your hand and I really like it with your band...but the only opinion that matters is yours! Sorry it didn't work out for you.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1370742703|3461866 said:
Woofmama - I totally respect your decision, but I gotta say, it looks pretty stunning in that picture! But definitely a good idea to return it and save your fun money for something you absolutely love.

Thanks for your feedback Rosebloom :)) The picture does look okay but it just doesn't feel right on my finger. I paid $685 for it, has the certificate and red box. I have so many pieces on my wish list so it's going back. I really wanted to love it :(sad
I do think all of the Trinities pictured on here look stunning! It just shows that not every piece is for everyone.

Thanks Junebug! Yep it's going back. I have at least seven other pieces I really want so the money is already spent :))

Edited to reply to Junebug.

Sorry to threadjack Smith.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
woofmama|1370743536|3461872 said:

Thanks for your feedback Rosebloom :)) The picture does look okay but it just doesn't feel right on my finger. I paid $685 for it, has the certificate and red box. I have so many pieces on my wish list so it's going back. I really wanted to love it :(sad
I do think all of the Trinities pictured on here look stunning! It just shows that not every piece is for everyone.

Thanks Junebug! Yep it's going back. I have at least seven other pieces I really want so the money is already spent :))

It's OK. In many cultures, the sick are ignored. :lol:

But putting aside my own Disease of the Rings, I am sorry to hear that you don't like the ring - especially since it was such a steal! I'd like to propose a reason that you may not love it: Wrong width. Is it the Classic width, i.e. 3.5mm for each band? That size looked rubbish on me and the 2.9mm looked much better. You say there isn't enough room on your finger, so maybe a smaller width? Or, if this one IS the 2.9, then maybe the 1.8 would look nice with your existing rings.

Had you ever seen the Trinities in real life, or other 3-gold rolling rings? It may be the wrong width, or it may be that this piece simply isn't right for you.If so, that's a pity! What project will you use the money for?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1370745100|3461880 said:
woofmama|1370743536|3461872 said:

It's OK. In many cultures, the sick are ignored. :lol:

But putting aside my own Disease of the Rings, I am sorry to hear that you don't like the ring - especially since it was such a steal! I'd like to propose a reason that you may not love it: Wrong width. Is it the Classic width, i.e. 3.5mm for each band? That size looked rubbish on me and the 2.9mm looked much better. You say there isn't enough room on your finger, so maybe a smaller width? Or, if this one IS the 2.9, then maybe the 1.8 would look nice with your existing rings.

Had you ever seen the Trinities in real life, or other 3-gold rolling rings? It may be the wrong width, or it may be that this piece simply isn't right for you.If so, that's a pity! What project will you use the money for?

I did get a great deal, which is why I wanted to love it so much. A smaller width could work but I don't think I'll pursue it. Maybe it's because I wore a plain wedding band for 14 yrs. Looking at gold just doesn't do it for me I guess. I want lots and lots of sparkle :sun: It's the 2.9 I believe, just for the record. But if I could find the pave trinity, at a rock bottom price, well that I could learn to love I'm sure!

I think the cure for your illness Smith is: the pave one!!!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Well, if we're talking about being healed forever, that would be a 2-carat D VS2 super-ideal AGS triple 000 MRB. But sine you can't get one of those for much under 50k, I'll have to resign myself to dreaming about how cool it would be to have the ultra skinny Cartier!

I can understand how you might not want the trinity if you wore another gold ring for so long - and hey, if there are other things that you want.... :Up_to_something:

ETA: Also, $635 is a LOT of money to pay for something you don't love. Maybe it's not that much considering the huge diamonds that people here buy, but it's still many hundreds of dollars. Only worth it if you completely adore the piece.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's sick to have two of the same thing in different sizes.... maybe that makes me a bad influence *shrugs* :twisted:

I've just bought a white jade necklace and a clear rock crystal quartz bead necklace - both items which I already had!
But the 'new' version are shorter, with fatter beads... so in my world, that makes them different.

I say life's too short to be fretting about what you're 'missing out' on, especially if the cost is quite small.

ETA: you could always circle a date on your calendar, and see how you feel about it then... it's not like Cartier are going to stop making them between now and fortnight's time. :wink2:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
LaraOnline|1370773020|3462002 said:
I don't think it's sick to have two of the same thing in different sizes.... maybe that makes me a bad influence *shrugs* :twisted:

I've just bought a white jade necklace and a clear rock crystal quartz bead necklace - both items which I already had!
But the 'new' version are shorter, with fatter beads... so in my world, that makes them different.

I say life's too short to be fretting about what you're 'missing out' on, especially if the cost is quite small.

ETA: you could always circle a date on your calendar, and see how you feel about it then... it's not like Cartier are going to stop making them between now and fortnight's time. :wink2:

Lara, you really understand! Maybe you also have the same disease :lol:

Very cool about your necklaces. I understand how small alterations can create an alternative look.

Wouldn't it be very glam to have two trinities in different looks? This purchase is not imminent, by the way. I'd be buying it at the end of the year when passing through Heathrow, so six months from now. I just got the idea this weekend.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this is a sickness, may God smite me with it.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Madam Bijoux|1370817326|3462292 said:
If this is a sickness, may God smite me with it.

Oh Madame B, no one (not even God) should smite you for loving quality gems. :appl: :wavey:

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Smith1942|1370814892|3462270 said:

Very cool about your necklaces. I understand how small alterations can create an alternative look.

Wouldn't it be very glam to have two trinities in different looks? This purchase is not imminent, by the way. I'd be buying it at the end of the year when passing through Heathrow, so six months from now. I just got the idea this weekend.

how is it any different than having the same pair of shoes in different colors!?

EDIT - 6 months?! Do it...you have time to save!

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Not to threadjack, but I recently came down with the same disease! I have a Cartier trinity, the regular size, and I desperately want the 1.8mm version. However, it doesn't seem to be available in the US and Cartier said they won't ship it to me from out of the country. Are you located in the US? Any ideas as to how I can get my hands on one??

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lovebug1031|1370878935|3462663 said:
Smith1942|1370814892|3462270 said:

how is it any different than having the same pair of shoes in different colors!?
!

Exactly what I was thinking. How many of us have more than one pair of black shoes? We need flats and heels and wedges.

I can see how you *need* more than one size. It makes perfect sense to me.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
LittleSparkle|1370977649|3463576 said:
Not to threadjack, but I recently came down with the same disease! I have a Cartier trinity, the regular size, and I desperately want the 1.8mm version. However, it doesn't seem to be available in the US and Cartier said they won't ship it to me from out of the country. Are you located in the US? Any ideas as to how I can get my hands on one??

Hi Little Sparkle, the ultra-skinny one is sold at the Boston store. I thought it might be 1.8mm but I think it's actually 1.5mm. I tried it on there about six weeks ago. For some reason, it never appears on the US website. It's on some of the other global sites, but not for sale.

iluvshinythings - you also have the disease!!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Ha. I knew before I clicked that you weren't done, that you needed more. MORE! :lol:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Heh heh, Jane! Well, I've spent a bit lately so I might have to dial it back a bit. Not sure if I'm serious about the skinny Trinity. I do have a pretty nice replica that has served me well for many years, and my jewellery collection is lacking two other things on which the money could be spent: A large gold pendant and some diamond drop earrings. Got my eye on the Tiffany Palm pendant and the double marquise diamond drops from Blue Nile, but might have to wait a few months!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Oh Smith....my world is crashing down. I have coveted a certain watch from Cartier for years. I have put other jewelry pieces before the watch and now CARTIER DOESN'T MAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!! First world problems right?! If you were in my area we could commiserate at least together over the watch and rolling rings!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1371125578|3464884 said:
Oh Smith....my world is crashing down. I have coveted a certain watch from Cartier for years. I have put other jewelry pieces before the watch and now CARTIER DOESN'T MAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!! First world problems right?! If you were in my area we could commiserate at least together over the watch and rolling rings!

Oh, what!!! And you were actually saving up and went without other pieces so you could get it? That is terrible! OK, here's what you do. Call Cartier and get them to search their global inventory for one that's in stock. After Tiffany has discontinued things, they often have a few languishing around so maybe it's the same with Cartier. And if they won't/can't do a global search, call all the English-speaking countries yourself, and get friends who can speak French/Spanish/German/whatever call the other stores. At the same time, write the US HQ and write to the Paris HQ. If you want one enough, they might just be able to dig one up for you, especially is it hasn't been that long since they were discontinued. The Harrods Cartier concession in London is very large. You could call them.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Too bad we don't have a jewelry exchange program, sort of like a student exchange! I would love to switch out my ultra slim Trinity for a thicker one sometimes!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1371169768|3465446 said:
SB621|1371125578|3464884 said:

Oh, what!!! And you were actually saving up and went without other pieces so you could get it? That is terrible! OK, here's what you do. Call Cartier and get them to search their global inventory for one that's in stock. After Tiffany has discontinued things, they often have a few languishing around so maybe it's the same with Cartier. And if they won't/can't do a global search, call all the English-speaking countries yourself, and get friends who can speak French/Spanish/German/whatever call the other stores. At the same time, write the US HQ and write to the Paris HQ. If you want one enough, they might just be able to dig one up for you, especially is it hasn't been that long since they were discontinued. The Harrods Cartier concession in London is very large. You could call them.

Nope I bought other pieces infront of it. I got my ering upgrade, my Cartier love bracelet, and a few other trinkets thinking the watch would be there. Now it is not on their website anymore. I see them on ebay and a few other watch stores. I'm not panicing just yet. I sort of having a feeling if it was meant to be it will be. If not the Tank is a staple Cartier watch that has been around forever and it will be my fall back. Not exactly what I want, but thus is life....still mad at Cariter though about it :praise:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results