shape
carat
color
clarity

careers in the diamond industry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
I apologize if this isn''t the correct forum for this, but I felt there are so many extremely knowlegeable people here... so I wanted to throw this out to those of you....

I have been researching diamonds for many, many, months now and I find everything about them extremely fascinating. It appeals to my detail oriented nature I guess. I have been considering a career change for quite some time now and wonder whether this is an industry I should look into a little more closely.

It seems as though the standard path would be to go to the GIA school (but probably have to go to CA for that?). I live on the east coast so that isn''t really much of an option right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on the best way to get into the industry if I were to pursue it. Could anyone give me an example of the typical jobs that are available to people after they first get out of school for this. What kind of opportunities exist?

Right now I work in financial services and am looking for a change! Appreciate any advice you can give. Sorry again, I know this isn''t a "career advice" site... but I have just found many of you to be so helpful I thought maybe some of you would have some advice.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TLS:

There are several possibilites. As you mentioned you could go to GIA school. I know of one poster on this site who is doing exactly that (but I was told in confidence and will not reveal who). That would get you into diamond grading.

There are several other areas that may be more easily entered.

Jewelry fabrication and repair if you have detail skills. There are schools for this as well, and you could find out by just taking your first several jewelry classes at a local technical school.

Sales, working up to store owner; and truth be told the big money is in the sales end if done right (and I propose that an honest salesperson can make just as much or more than the dishonest ones).

Entry level sales is never a good paying job - but with the knowledge you picked up here you already know far more than almost any sales rep I ran into. The problem will be finding a jewelry store or internet company that values knowledge and wants someone arround who knows what you do. Many store owners have chosen to stay ignorant on certian things.

If I had to look for a job tomorrow - I think that selling diamonds would be really interesting in the right environment (if I could find it). I do have some sales background. The key would be finding a place that is accepting of the internet and people who have educated themselves.

Perry

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Perry - this is great information. Both Jewelry fabrication and sales are interesting to me. Not sure whether or not I have the artistic ability for Jewelry fabrication, but that is a really interesting thought. Diamond grading sounds like a good beginning too.

I definitely have to look into this further. No point in spending the rest of my life in my current career that feels like a prison! That salaries are probably low I bet for any of these entry level type jobs, that might be the only issue. I would love to find out more about those salary ranges - I will have to try and do some more research on these.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
One thing that I would love to do in the jewelry industry is to be a diamond and colored stone buyer for a company. That would be awesome for me. Unfortunately, there are no decent jewelry stores where I live, and I don't want to work for a "bad" store with a not so good reputation.

I think some of you internet vendors need to move to Maine so I can work for you!!
31.gif

edited to add: something I would love to do is open my own jewelry store...but I don't have any type of business background or the guts. Maybe if I had a partner...they could do the business end and I could be the jewelry end. Anyone interested lol!

TLS

Shiny_Rock
I am with you on that - I wish they would move out my way too!

Being a buyer would be really interesting too I bet, but I am sure involves lots of travel...

other than possibly the bad pay for people starting out, are there any other known negatives that one might want to be aware of? Other than the wonderful people I have met on this website it seems like there are (as with all industries) some bad apples in the bunch. At least I have had a number of bad experiences so far at B & M stores and that is why I am opting to go online at this point for my own diamond purchase so that I can deal with someone who can back up their diamonds with sarin numbers etc and to also go with a company that cares about quality.

Are there any other known things those of you in the Industry wish you had known about prior to getting in? Just curious? every industry has some stuff, so I am curious on this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results