shape
carat
color
clarity

Career change mid 40ies

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Hi lovely PSers

Well, I am at a point where I need a change. I like my job, but not so much the place I work at and it is most difficult to find something else in the very same field. After a long, long consideration I realized what it is I want. I like using my head, I like being an advocate, I like old masters and I like working with my hands. The combination of it all: I would like to go into conservation and restauration. It need a long training and it might be difficult to get in. But I might try anyways. Has anyone made a career change at mid 40?

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Yup. I have retrained a number of times by either attending night school or teaching myself. My only word of advice - do it now. Time goes by so quickly that a year from now you will be in the position of having done nothing (but wishing you had and wondering where the last year went) or you will be one year into your retraining journey. Good luck.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I started my new job at 43 after retaining & a period as a stay at home mother. I don’t regret it one bit even though at the time it was not a choice but a necessity due to marriage breakdown.
I wish you all the best with your future endeavours & look forward to hearing of your successes! You can do whatever you want in life - just make sure you enjoy it!
I’ve just started University at 47…. I feel like I’m struggling but my marks don’t reflect that (at this stage…). If I can do it anyone can!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH changed careers in his early 50s. To something entirely different. He enjoyed it very much but when he got recruited back into his field it was an offer he couldn't pass up. But he definitely enjoyed the change while it lasted and he loves his job now.

One thing I can say about Greg he gives his all to his work and he is thoroughly engaged in whatever it is he does. He is a true gem to all he works with :) and yes I might be biased but that is the truth.

It is never too late to change fields/careers. The only requirement is enthusiasm for learning and the energy to make it work.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Yup. I have retrained a number of times by either attending night school or teaching myself. My only word of advice - do it now. Time goes by so quickly that a year from now you will be in the position of having done nothing (but wishing you had and wondering where the last year went) or you will be one year into your retraining journey. Good luck.

I‘m afraid ist would be a year from now since I would need to go through an assessment to be admitted and this will be in May and then Uni would start in September. But it gives me time to sort out a few things. And if I would indeed be admitted then… WHY NOT?!
Thank you all so so much for the kind words!

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I went to nursing school at 38, graduated at 41 and I've now been a cardiac critical care nurse for 14 years. I've never once regretted it (though Covid era nursing has taken its toll). It's wonderful to pursue something you love and put it into practice. At 55, I am thinking about what's going to be best for me in the next few years and I'm considering certifying as a postpartum doula. I remind myself we're never past being able to learn and grow!

Also, as @Tartansparkles says, time is going to march on whether you choose this new path or not. When I was making my decision about nursing, which I had always wanted to do, I wondered about graduating at 41...and then I had that lightning bolt of, "But (heaven willing) I will be 41 in 3 years whether or not I go to school." I'm very grateful that I did the schooling and have had work I love.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seriously considered a full change and weighed the pros and cons of how many working years left, salary, job market, training cost, etc. In the end, I did not go the route of a full career change but a diverging path. This did not require going back to school or classes and instead I altered my resume to highlight the path I wanted to take. I took a paycut but have never been happier. Despite the stress, I love doing what I do every single day (and it still pays all my bills with extra).

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
So I told my husband about my plans yesterday and he is all in and will support it! I could - if I get admitted, let’s not get too excited yet - study part time which would allow me to still continue working (much less than now but still), which I feel would be good and important for me.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I told my husband about my plans yesterday and he is all in and will support it! I could - if I get admitted, let’s not get too excited yet - study part time which would allow me to still continue working (much less than now but still), which I feel would be good and important for me.

Go you & good luck! I think sometimes we fall into our busy careers in our 20's & onwards, but as we age & mature, our desires & needs change. By then, we are established, successful & earning good money, which makes the prospect of retraining frightening & often impossible.

It's a brave person who takes the leap of faith & I'm sure it'll be the best thing you ever do.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Not yet but I fully intend to. After over 20 years in Finance and a variety of very interesting roles I’m not quite done in that field just yet. But after the kids are off to college I really want to take a different route. My latest career decisions have been based on opening new avenues for the future and I haven’t regretted it at all so far. My problem is I fear I’m a little old these days for more true “studying”. I certainly don’t think I could handle a PHD or other higher Ed qualification. I just don’t have the academic discipline I did in my youth.

In fact I would love to move towards working with my hands in a more creative and vocational job after I leave banking. Furniture restoration, joinery, property renovation, even starting a small holding, things which I’d do for love of it not the salary.

But it’s easy to contemplate assuming you have achieved a measure of financial security already. If you’re embarking on a whole new career / lifestyle without that safety net it’s got to be much more frightening. I have such admiration for people who are willing to follow their dreams and take a risk. It’s courageous and wonderful.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Not to be a wet blanket here but I would definitely consider and look into the possibility of age discrimination in the field you're considering.

I have not experienced it myself but I do know a few people who have and it is real, widespread and awful, though I don't really understand why it's an issue.

One possible reason (which I've just pulled from my personal experience, nothing verified) could be that people just tend to feel more comfortable supervising those younger than them than those who are much older than them so that's who they favor for hiring. Who knows...

Anyway, if I was going to do something new, I'd lean heavily toward trying to work for myself. Good luck!

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But it’s easy to contemplate assuming you have achieved a measure of financial security already. If you’re embarking on a whole new career / lifestyle without that safety net it’s got to be much more frightening. I have such admiration for people who are willing to follow their dreams and take a risk. It’s courageous and wonderful.

I agree it is an easier move if you aren't doing it for the salary. If you are already comfortable financially and can take the hit in pay, then doing what you love despite less money, is a much easier leap.

I have not experienced it myself but I do know a few people who have and it is real, widespread and awful, though I don't really understand why.
Yes, it is real, particularly in some types of jobs, however, there are some managers (me included) who prefer to hire people who are a bit older. Maturity counts for a lot when you are looking for an employee, as well as reasonable expectations. Those are things that a lot of young people don't have yet. Of course some do, but it's easier to see in someone a bit older. So honestly, as a manager, I would rather have a new employee in their 40's, than one in their 20's. It may not be the right attitude, but I got there through experience with my new hires over the years.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
@Lookinagain, I agree and don't know why anyone wouldn't value experience but apparently a lot of people who make those calls do not. Also, the forties isn't that bad as far as I've heard but heading into the fifties, hmm... So maybe something for OP to consider, unfortunately.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@seaurchin yes, you're right. I think a lot depends on the willingness of people to learn new things and I do know that some employees (definitely not all) get to a point at a certain age that they resist learning to do things new ways. But I've found that it is usually someone who has been in a job a long time, not necessarily someone starting somewhere new. BUT and it's a big but, I think some people doing the hiring look at their older, long term, employees who are change resistant and assume all older people don't want to learn new things and I think that is often a mistake. I'd gladly hire someone in their 50's. People work well into their 60's (or longer) these days. if I can find a good employee who would stick with their job for 10 or 15 years, I'd be very happy. And I think most older people who do change jobs/careers aren't doing it to "job jump" to make more money or status, so it's more likely that they will stick around longer.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I appreciate all your thoughts! I have worked many years and I am lucky to be in a financially secure situation which makes this decision a lot easier. Age discrimination might be an issue - it’s a risk. However- I want to train in a profession that would give me the chance to also work independently as in terms of self- employed. This is a long term goal of mine but hard to do with my current profession. I already work in the particular field but not in that profession. So I would have a certain network.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Not to be a wet blanket here but I would definitely consider and look into the possibility of age discrimination in the field you're considering.

I have not experienced it myself but I do know a few people who have and it is real, widespread and awful, though I don't really understand why it's an issue.

That’s a really good point. It’s definitely real in many fields and with many managers. Sadly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results