shape
carat
color
clarity

Car buying advice and negotiating tips!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's why you likely won't keep it 10 years.
See, when you drive into ANY car dealer with a 911, good color combo, in good shape with very low miles, you've got a strong hand. Makes trading up rather easier than with other cars.
A lot of the advice given here about car buying in general just does not hold water when we're talking about the 911.

the lighter colored interiors do show a lot more wear over time.
Porsche used to make "Supple leather"- I don;t know if they still do- but that stuff looked old after a year.
The "regular" leather is stiff, which does wear well, but it dulls over time. In cars I've seen, both darker and lighter colors suffer this.

If you can find a super low miles CPO, and you're virtually never upside down on the car. At least that's what I've always done.
I bought my last 911 from a Porsche Dealer with 900 miles on it, it was 2 model years old, with a $120,000 sticker- I paid about $75k- and it came with a 5 year new car warrantee.
I kept it for 4 years, and 30,000 miles and sold it on eBay for $45k
Total cost, $30k spread over 48 months =$625 a month. To drive a loaded 911.......not too shabby

But I totally understand why you want to e the "first owner"

OH- ilander HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT
I love your car......does the doggie get to ride?

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
I need a ride too DeeJay!!! I hope you can find your color combo soon because we are going to have to go for a spin before the winter weather takes over.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1349893959|3282852 said:
Here's why you likely won't keep it 10 years.
See, when you drive into ANY car dealer with a 911, good color combo, in good shape with very low miles, you've got a strong hand. Makes trading up rather easier than with other cars.
A lot of the advice given here about car buying in general just does not hold water when we're talking about the 911.

the lighter colored interiors do show a lot more wear over time.
Porsche used to make "Supple leather"- I don;t know if they still do- but that stuff looked old after a year.
The "regular" leather is stiff, which does wear well, but it dulls over time. In cars I've seen, both darker and lighter colors suffer this.

If you can find a super low miles CPO, and you're virtually never upside down on the car. At least that's what I've always done.
I bought my last 911 from a Porsche Dealer with 900 miles on it, it was 2 model years old, with a $120,000 sticker- I paid about $75k- and it came with a 5 year new car warrantee.
I kept it for 4 years, and 30,000 miles and sold it on eBay for $45k
Total cost, $30k spread over 48 months =$625 a month. To drive a loaded 911.......not too shabby

But I totally understand why you want to e the "first owner"

OH- ilander HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT
I love your car......does the doggie get to ride?

That's what I started out searching for, but then I looked more carefully at the body styles changes in this new generation and decided to go the 2013 route. Good advice about the interior... I need to think that over. I have to order one I will likley go with the darker gray, but if I can find one already in the US with a black interior that seems like the reasonable thing to do at this point.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OneFifty|1349894274|3282854 said:
I need a ride too DeeJay!!! I hope you can find your color combo soon because we are going to have to go for a spin before the winter weather takes over.

OneFifty!!! You are close enough that you can go with me to the dealer to pick it up when the time comes! How much fun would that be? You and I could be DANGEROUS here in the KC metro area!!! :cheeky:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, now I am REALLY P!SSED OFF. The color I want is a $5,500 upcharge! I finally sat down with a dealer and put together a custom quote and it turns out the color I want was NEVER offered as a 911 color. The one I saw in meteor was a special order. They can MAKE it for me for an EXTRA FIFTY FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS. I know I said that already, but ARGH!!!

Not sure what to do here... must think things through...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, that is BAD news Dee Jay!!!! Never, ever would I pay that. It is NUTS!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1349824058|3282446 said:
Since Rockdiamond asked, here's my baby. Plus it doesn't take much to prod me into showing pics.

I've had her almost two months now. 2009 Boxster base model, 255 hp, PDK.

Her name is Scarlett. :bigsmile:

Gorgeous, love it iLander!!! :love: :appl:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was so :angryfire: when I finally got the real skinny on the color!

Anyway, there is a *possibility* that I might be able to pick up a car this weekend given that I'm now going with a stock color and the dark interior. I say *possibly* because we haven't agreed on a price and I would have to fly to where it is to buy it and then ship it back here. I could drive it back, but it would be about six hundred miles and I'm not sure I want to subject myself to a ten hour first drive!

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
I would be angry about the color too. Especially since you saw one in the color you like. Bait and switch for sure.

That happened to be when I bought my car too. I liked the darker gunmetal gray color, but I ended up going with the newest model year rather than the prior year sales and they changed the color of the gray. So, now my car looks more silver than gray. It didn't bother me after I got over the initial annoyance. It would definitely bother me more if I was buying a beautiful sports car. I'm sure you know, but make sure you are getting what you want in this situation with no regrets!

Oh, and I am totally in with the pick up at a dealer.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dee*Jay|1349926109|3283106 said:
I was so :angryfire: when I finally got the real skinny on the color!

Anyway, there is a *possibility* that I might be able to pick up a car this weekend given that I'm now going with a stock color and the dark interior. I say *possibly* because we haven't agreed on a price and I would have to fly to where it is to buy it and then ship it back here. I could drive it back, but it would be about six hundred miles and I'm not sure I want to subject myself to a ten hour first drive!

I love the dark interiors.
Mine was black, and really did hold up and you felt so nice inside...
No Problem on the 600 miles DeeJay- I got your back.
Just tell me where to pick her up, and I'll have her to your front door in .... say about 6 hours :naughty:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1349890239|3282812 said:
You won't have to do much arm twisting on this end:)

2013 BMW335is vert.
I kept wanting to love the M3....but it was to rough. This car is 95% as quick- same tranny- but far smoother.
this car is perfect to fill the need for speed combined with the need for TWO car seats.....and both DW and I are CRAZY about red leather......
I LOVE that interior color RD! :love: :love: :love: I think red makes a car really unique, the kind of car that is treasured for decades. Look at the old '60's mustangs and other muscle cars; sooo much better with a red interior! :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
DeeJay,

Sorry to hear about your color problem! :(( This is typical of Porsche, though. Here's a column about James May from Top Gear and his attempt to customize his Boxster S. He wanted a custom color interior, with the standard black steering wheel. Porsche charged him extra for the standard wheel!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/james-may/james-may-added-extras-2005-10-01

They're not one of the most profitable car co's in the world for nothing. :sick:

My DH has a black interior on his 911 and it's like a black hole in there. On the one hand, I don't care for it because I dislike black interiors (on any car) very much. On the other hand I wouldn't mind taking the doggies for a ride (as RD mentioned) in it, since it's pretty durable, like a black leather couch (we had one for 15+ years, we couldn't kill it, and ended up giving it away) that lasts forever. I am fairly paranoid about my saddle interior (that's what Mercedes calls that color, not sure what Porsche calls it) so I paid extra for some kind of sealant/insurance on it. But I love that I can see the design details, they just disappear in DH's black interior.

If I were you, I'd go to the dealer and sit in the different colors, even if it's not your model. Then I'd order one that was standard for the 911. But then again, I'm a cheapskate. When you got resell/trade the car, you won't get your money back for custom details (it's like houses), only bigger engine size in Porsche-land. My DH's car has all silver Porsche emblems, throughout (wheels, steering, hood, everything) which had to be a custom order (or aftermarket, we can't tell). We didn't even notice it, much less pay for it.

That being said, the cars I eventually came to dislike were the ones that I purchased in my second or third choice for color. It REALLY bugged me after a while. :(sad

As for keeping it 10 years, I think you'll be surprised how much you like it. In the past, when we've sold Porsches, we missed them dearly. I love my little red roadster, and I really hope to keep her for many, many years.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David, my new baby will most likely get delivered to Chicago and I need to get it to Kansas City. I'll call you with the exact address. And what a good guy you are to do this for me! ;))

iLander, that steering wheel story is too funny! And coincidentally, the steering wheel is the single thing that made me reject a choice that the dealer found for me on Tuesday. Not only did it have the paddles and the mutl-function triangular buttons on the wheel, but it also had a crescent of silver across the center strut of the wheel that says "PDK." I *K*N*O*W* it's a PDK. I paid the extra $4,080 for the damn PDK. I don't need to be reminded of it every second! I just want the regular Model 840 steering wheel. The PLAINEST steering wheel that Porsche makes. THAT'S ALL.

And I hear you on the black hole-ness. But after hearing that the light color of my colleague's car didn't wear well, and also the dealer telling me that you have to be careful with the light grey and tan seats if you have jeans on because that color could transfer (???!!!???) I am going with the vortex of color. I hope I learn to like it!

Anyway, there is still a slim possibility I can get one this weekend if the dealer in Michigan will trade with my guy in Chicago and they can get it on a trailer TODAY, but most likely I am looking at the 27th(ish).

And beside the definition of "WRONG" in the latest edition of the Werriam-Webster is this picture of a 911 WITH A ROOF RACK. I've seen this car twice in one week...

roof_rack.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for sticking with me through this BTW.

Insert Dee’s whiney princess voice: But I don’t want THAT GRAY, I want a DIFFERENT GRAY. And the black interior is too DARK… all that supple black Porsche leather cacooning me in darkness… WHINE!!!!!

Talk about the epitome of a first world problem!!! I’m kind of glad most of you don’t know where I really live because you would probably come here and smack a little of the princeness right out of me. And deservedly so. Let me be clear: I KNOW how VERY VERY lucky I am to be able to be in this position. (Can you tell the Catholic guilt is starting to creep in here… :cheeky: )

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1350051601|3283804 said:
Thank you all for sticking with me through this BTW.

Insert Dee’s whiney princess voice: But I don’t want THAT GRAY, I want a DIFFERENT GRAY. And the black interior is too DARK… all that supple black Porsche leather cacooning me in darkness… WHINE!!!!!

Talk about the epitome of a first world problem!!! I’m kind of glad most of you don’t know where I really live because you would probably come here and smack a little of the princeness right out of me. And deservedly so. Let me be clear: I KNOW how VERY VERY lucky I am to be able to be in this position. (Can you tell the Catholic guilt is starting to creep in here… :cheeky: )

Oh, pish-posh!

My husband told me this story years ago when we first got married: a man was standing beside his wife's casket at the funeral. A friend said to him "That sure is a beautiful red dress you're burying her in". The man said "Yes, she's been thinking about a red dress for years. It sure was expensive, but I felt she finally needed to have it".

Do you see the point?

You only live once (actually I think it's probably a few times, but we're not getting into that right now :bigsmile: )!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh pish posh- about sticking around- I love living vicariously through you DeeJay
Plus it's an opportunity to post some fun potos....
This was "The Black Squirrel" - our beloved '04 cab- black on black. Taken on part of the Blue Ridge Parkway about 2 days after we picked her up- in New York City. We did not stop heading south till we ran out of road...Key West.
Stayed the night, then turned around. A wonderful week.
dsc00472.jpg

The interior was very inviting-the chrome accents, and nature of the textures made it a cozy cabin.
I really miss it......the steering wheel in particular- amazing. Perfect feel in the hands. dsc00473.jpg

You've got to plan a nice long drive once you get her DeeJay....

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Rock, the Carrera is a twin to DH's! :cheeky: I love the black on black, it's very masculine, just gorgeous!

Did you have a radar detector for that NYC to Keys drive? I'm thinking of getting one, can you recommend? I've made that drive, and it's supposed to be about 25 hours . . . :naughty:

Yes, DeeJay, we can keep this up for days, so whatever you want to say, we're here for you. It's because we are just too lazy to sign up with an actual Porsche forum. :D

portia

Brilliant_Rock
DeeJay, sorry to hear abvout the color snafu. I know how it is to get your hopes up about something just to be let down. You know, you're going to have so much fun driving it that you'll quickly forget about that. And... it's going to be freaking GORGEOUS!!!! :love: :love: :love:

RockDiamond, what a beautiful car! I love the black on black (and love the name, too). Very sleek and cool! Your driving trip sounds like so much fun. That's something my family would do. My parents go on car rallies (Colorado Grande, California Mille, etc etc) and my dad would plan family car rally weekends. Such great memories!!

BTW, DeeJay, if RockDiamond opts out I am in Chicago and known for my Porsche driving abilities. :naughty:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks guys, Black on Black was very masculine- but the leather and general feeling was warm and inviting.

ilander- I had one built into my BosterS- a few cars before the Carrera.
It was amazing.
Totally discreet- a little knob on the dash. I beat so many tickets with it.
I recommend the ones that are installed by Porsche dealers.
- and also to never contest a speeding ticket yourself.
hopefully it's out of town from where you live- better yet out of state- then find a local lawyer specializing in traffic violations and hire them.
One of the bad things about the radar detector is that you start to feel....bullet proof- and all of a sudden you get tagged another way- plane, a car pacing you- they can still get you .

My dream to do a German pickup of my next 911 and drive the Autobahn.....but we digress.......

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks iLander and David for making me feel better!

David, that is a BEAUTIFUL car! I love the black on black! The only thing that keeps me from getting a black 911 is that I am very bad about getting my cars washed and I think an obviously filthy 911 is a sacrilege.

Portia, be careful what you wish for!

So now I’ve got my guy in Chicago working his region to see if anyone will trade with him, and a guy in KC wording this region for a trade, but nothing so far. I had NO IDEA how political this trading of cars among dealers was!

And speaking of radar detectors... this topic has been on my mind (ha!). Where would one buy a good one? If I ask my dealer for a radar detector will they actually put it in for me? How much are they? (Probably less than a ticket—or a whole slew of tickets, LOL!)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They do around here- I'll bet they do where you are.
When a Porsche dealer does the install ( they'll also provide the detector)- they'll also guarantee it ( not against tickets- but that it works, and doesn't screw up you electric system)
The radar detector in my BoxsterS was dealer installed and amazing.
They put the switch and indicator light in spots that looked perfectly inline with what the factory would do- and it detected forward and rear.
Expensive- around $2k I believe- but well worth it, if you want a radar detector.
Which I can't have.
My last ticket was in 2007- but still, I just don't want to get another.

Funny story- I got pulled over the night after I got our new car.
The cop asked me for my license and I was fumbling through my wallet- "Do you even have a licence?" he asked.

Yes- officer ( I'd found it by that point)
I just got the car yesterday.

" Nice car. Trying it out, were you?"

I was fumbling again looking for the insurance card.

"Don't worry- I don't need to see the papers. Just drive home slowly ( live about a mile from where he stopped me)- but next time you get a new car, don't try it out with a cop right behind you ok?"

I could have hugged that guy......
Many NY cops will never let you go without a ticket once they pull you over.

Anyway, I stick to speed limit plus 9 on the highway nowadays.
That's basically how everyone drives around here

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David, that's funny bat the cop! I've already decided that if I'm ever pulled over and I don't get a ticket I will donate whatever it would have cost me to a worthy cause! And thanks for the info about the detector. I will be having that chat with my dealer!

Speaking of my dealer, the local guy has found a car and THAT dealer is actually willing to trade with him. I need him to confirm one more thing for me (the steering wheel) before I commit to having it shipped here.

Do you have any thoughts about 19" wheels vs 20"? I've heard pros and cons on both (the car that is available to me has 19"). I'll be interested to hear if you (or anyone else who may still be following this thread -- ha!) has a strong opinion one way or the other.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd go for the 19's for a number of reasons: I happen to like the way the look. The 20's are ....well a little too big for my taste.
Also, whee I live, I'm likely to have to replace a tire or three over the course of a few years- and the 19's are probably a bit less costly to replace.
But if I really preferred the wheel style, or the way size of the 20's looked in general, I'd go for them.

I forget- which specific model are you getting..... Carrera or the S? 2wd, yes?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback on the 19s/20s. I'm getting just the regular Carrera 2WD.

So the car the local guy has found for me has 64 miles on it. Should I be worried about that? I know that people take these things for test drives and all, but how hard was it driven for those 64 miles...?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1350574018|3287856 said:
Thanks for the feedback on the 19s/20s. I'm getting just the regular Carrera 2WD.

So the car the local guy has found for me has 64 miles on it. Should I be worried about that? I know that people take these things for test drives and all, but how hard was it driven for those 64 miles...?

64 miles? This you're worried about, 64 miles? :D Even if they drove it all in third gear, Porsche warranty is still good.

But Porsche buyers are notoriously picky, so I would squeeze some money out of the dealer for that. :naughty:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think they're going to budge on price for 64 miles......but hey, it's worth a try.
I would not let that aspect bother me, personally.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reality check on the 64 miles. I wasn't really looking for a discount (although I'll happily take one), but rather making sure it was OK. I have a vision of every 22 year old in town taking this car for a drive as if the hounds from hell were snapping right at the bumper. (As if I'm going to drive it any differently--HA!) Sixty four miles to 0-100 with the pedal to the medal and then standing on the brakes to test out that 93 foot stopping range. Over and over and over again... ACK.

And speaking of the way I drive... the car guy and I had a talk about installing a radar detector. Just like you said David--pretty much invisible with the rest of the components, and just a wire run under the bumpers. So much better than clipping something to the visor!

Soooooooooo... it seems like my guy has a car for me!!! The only thing I am having a slight twinge about is not getting the sport chrono package, but I think one more glass of wine and I'll be over that. And I'm going with the 19"s.

Portia, I'm so sorry to disappoint you, but the car is local to me. If, however, anything happens and I do end up with a car from the guy in Highland Park you and I will chat about getting it down here!

And iLander... um... you know I lurrrrrrves you, right? But given some of the discussions we've been having in other threads about your diriving, maybe you could be happy as a *passenger* in my new baby?!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1350606075|3288246 said:
Thanks for the reality check on the 64 miles. I wasn't really looking for a discount (although I'll happily take one), but rather making sure it was OK. I have a vision of every 22 year old in town taking this car for a drive as if the hounds from hell were snapping right at the bumper. (As if I'm going to drive it any differently--HA!) Sixty four miles to 0-100 with the pedal to the medal and then standing on the brakes to test out that 93 foot stopping range. Over and over and over again... ACK.

And speaking of the way I drive... the car guy and I had a talk about installing a radar detector. Just like you said David--pretty much invisible with the rest of the components, and just a wire run under the bumpers. So much better than clipping something to the visor!

Soooooooooo... it seems like my guy has a car for me!!! The only thing I am having a slight twinge about is not getting the sport chrono package, but I think one more glass of wine and I'll be over that. And I'm going with the 19"s.

Portia, I'm so sorry to disappoint you, but the car is local to me. If, however, anything happens and I do end up with a car from the guy in Highland Park you and I will chat about getting it down here!

And iLander... um... you know I lurrrrrrves you, right? But given some of the discussions we've been having in other threads about your diriving, maybe you could be happy as a *passenger* in my new baby?!

LOL! :lol:

Did you notice that at No Point did I offer to drive? :D

I'm not crazy! I know my limits. :bigsmile:

So, do we have this car yet? I want pics!! :cheeky: :love: :appl:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, glad we're in agreement on that "who gets to drive" thing! And ssorry to disappoint you (and me!), but no car yet. I'm actually in Georgetown for most of this week, but the local guy has a car for me that I *should* be able to pick up this weekend! :appl:

P.S. - And is it just ABSOLUTELY BANANAS that all of the sudden I am second-guessing my color choice?!? That was the big damn hold up in the first place becuase I HAD to have meteor/agate grey, and now I'm like, hmm... wonder what the GT silver (darker than platinum silver) would look like. I dare not say that to the car guy lest his head explode!!! :cheeky:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to seeing it, Dee Jay! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results