shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t provide Sarin report?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DoctorDan

Rough_Rock
Should one be wary if an e-vendor''s supplier is unable to provide a Sarin report? The particular diamond I am interested in is GIA certified and the company with which I am dealing is reputable, with a money-back guarantee.

Is this kind of thing usual, or should it be reason to purchase a different diamond?

Another way to look at it would be: how often is information on a Sarin going to make that much difference in an otherwise satisfactory diamond?

Thanks!
Dan

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
push--you may get them to find a way.............

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
dan, have you seen the stone? if yes, and you *love* it, then don''t worry about the sarin!! if you haven''t seen the stone, then a sarin would be helpful in determining whether or not it is well cut, and has a chance of displaying good optics. just remember, your eyes are the best judge............

DoctorDan

Rough_Rock
No, I have not seen the stone; I was hoping to get it appraised this week and get engaged this weekend, which makes the timing a bit awkward, especially since this coming weekend is the only weekend for the next month or so I will be able to see my girlfriend.

Plus, I''d like to have the best chance of getting a stone right, appraised, and not having to use a money-back guarantee.

Thus, not seeing a Sarin makes me a little wary.

Any opinions? I won''t blame anyone for their opinion!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
can you share the vendors name and all the specs you have?

DoctorDan

Rough_Rock
Sure, why not, Abazias:

Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 0.50
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 74.9
Table %: 71
Symetry: Good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: STK-
Culet: N
Fluorescence: N
Measurements: 4.25-4.23-3.17

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
give us all you''ve got dan, more is better at this point........

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What exactly do you expect the Sarin report to say about a princess cut ? There is not much left to read in those numbers without a standard to speak of... so, I wouldn''t worry about it, especillay since there is an appraisal on the way.

It doesn''t seem that sarin reports are provided very often by default. At least judging by how many other posters had to ask for one. Shops that select diamonds by cut seem to provide them at least for some stones, otherwise... it''s just the lab report, as far as I know.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
do you already have this diamond?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2005 1
6.gif
1:13 PM
Author: DoctorDan
Sure, why not, Abazias:

Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 0.50
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 74.9
Table %: 71
Symetry: Good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: STK-
Culet: N
Fluorescence: N
Measurements: 4.25-4.23-3.17
well that all looks pretty nice --its a little deep but thats kind of the norm with princesses--your girdle will be nice and sturdy and in know thin girdles can be a problem with princesses..........get it sent look at it hard under lots of light and you will know

DoctorDan

Rough_Rock
I thought crown/pavilion might be important in evaluating the cut

In all honesty, I just want the numbers in order to see that they aren''t way, way off based on those AGA charts

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I got lucky; you might, too. Still, for me, it was a learning process, and I did ask the vendor to call the diamond in based on the other known elements of the diamond, and without having sarin in hand. But, before continuing the deal, (having learned more while going forward) I said to the vendor...if it doesn''t conform to having a good HCA, I''m gonna pass. Turns out, it had those characteristics, since he was able to measure it once he had called it in, and I did go forward.

Heading the process off at the pass early as possible is the best idea. I really only thought to review those details with my e-vendor "after" I asked them to call it in. Does your e-vendor have sarin? If you want to consider this particular diamond, and have it called it in, can they do this assessment.

The benefit of Pricescope is right here, on cut. Use the benefit. Read the end of Garry''s study published in these set of threads right here. Right now, we pay a marginally higher cost for diamonds that are well cut. Once GIA moves in this area, the cost for the extra benefit of a well cut diamond will be that much higher. Get in while the getting is good.

Are there other options right now, without calling the diamond in, that either this particular vendor, or another one, can get you that cut info? Otherwise, if you''ve got the time to go through the processes, go step by step. But, my advice, don''t ignore the steps. Sounds like you''ve got a deadline you need to keep!

Very best of wishes!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2005 171 PM

In all honesty, I just want the numbers in order to see that they aren''t way, way off based on those AGA charts
Perhaps, but the all important angles (there more than two for a princess cut) are not provided by Sarin. AGA grades do not predict brilliance... and do not guess the precise look of the stone like Garry''s HCA does for rounds.

So there isn''t much to loose, I would think. It is still probable to end up with a brilliant stones even though the crown height is not dead on AGA''s. There are quite a few other things at play there, an dit''s not just me saying so.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2005 1
6.gif
6.gif
1 PM

well of course they are but at least you know the rest is good--no warning bells from any of that..............

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
dan, with a *really* quick look, in your size range, i found this......from excel i don''t know what price you are getting for your stone, but this one looks good. *be sure to look at the imagescope for it!!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would want to see the Sarin on this stone or I would keep looking. My stone is on the deep side, but it also has a GREAT crown and ideal pavilion angles. I personally think that you need to see the Sarin AND an ideal scope or some other image to examine the light leakage. Although some vendors cannot get the necessary reports on this stone for you, others can. The stone you found sounds like a list diamond, so if you know it''s available I''d call it in to another vendor like White Flash who will give you all the reports and discuss the diamond. While it''s true that you really do have to see the diamond with your own eyes, I must admit that almost all diamonds look nice on their own and the only true way to compare them if you''re not an expert is to have the diamond side-by-side with another stone. With my diamond, I notice how spectacular it is on a daily basis, but when I go into a jewelry store or am close to someone else with a nice princess cut stone it''s amazing how much better my stone is than the average. My point? If you''re buying sight unseen or don''t know a ton about diamonds, get all the reports you can.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hi, again, Dan, Ok these guys are quicker than me, and better than me. Ana''s probably got it right, and maybe for the type you''re getting, sarin isn''t critical after all.

Well, you have my support, anyway. Best wishes still....

DoctorDan

Rough_Rock
I got the diamond, just gonna go to the appraiser and see what happens; I feel good about it.

Thanks for the advice!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Garry, yes I might have just kept quiet, or asked about the shape before commenting. I sort of assumed round, when I wrote, and by the time my post appeared, much had already been written, including describing the shape, and more, the fact that such data wouldn''t help much.

Sounds like the Doctor is going forth, and we should all wish him well.

Methinks my exhuberance sometimes gets in my way. Thanks for watching after, as I do wish to cause no harm!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results