shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t decide what e-ring to get!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock

I've narrowed it down to:

1)round solitare w/ a plain e-ring and wedding band
2)round center stone w/ prong-set diamonds on the e-ring and wedding band (like AmberGretchen's except 3/4 eternity: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/theyre-done-the-wedding-set-of-ambergretchen.34051/=)

I've already decided that I like the look of a matching e-ring and wedding band, so I've pretty eliminated the plain e-ring w/ a diamond band possibility for now. My boyfriend has told me that he wants to buy the ring soon (yipee!), so I need to make a decision within the next two weeks or so. Darn this indecision! :) I think part of the problem is that I haven't been able to see a thin prong-set e-ring in stores despite going to about a dozen jewelers. Thanks so much for your help!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Well, which one''s more "you"? Can you picture yourself wearing that much bling on your finger every day (with the prong set)? I have bead set diamonds on my band, and am planning on going with a plain platinum band as to let my e-ring "shine", but if I were to go the matchy route...diamonds on the band for sure.
30.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
It''s hard to narrow down, isn''t it?! Sooooo many lovelies!

My vote is for shared prong... I just LOVE that style. If the melee are small, the center stone (while surrounded by sparkle) will still *POP* !

It''s a popular style here on PS, but in my Real Life, I have never seen another set like mine.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too like the shared prong look. Just make sure the ering and wedding band won''t rub against eachother. Some people here have had issues with that.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
kaleigh, I''m going to have my boyfriend mention that problem to the SP people when he orders it, but unfortunately I''m not sure what else we can do. The main problem I''ve heard people have is that the prongs on their center stone get scratched, which is something I think I can live with. So far I haven''t heard any reports about the prongs on the smaller diamonds getting scratched though. I really hope that won''t be a problem!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I like the plain look, but that''s just my opinion. I''ve actually changed my setting a few times and have had a channel set set (replaced because the diamonds kept falling out - bad manufacture I guess) , a tiffany style solitaire in wg (placeholder, sort of), and now an x prong set in plat (this is the one forever). (well, I say that now!)
reasons:
1) The plainer it is, the less likely I am to ever get tired of it (I am fickle!) or for it to go out of style.
2) You can augment with a diamond wedding band, if you want, although you mentioned you want it to match.
3) Something classic about the plain solitaire appeals to me for historic/timeless reasons - women have been wearing them for a hundred years or more and will be wearing them a hundred years from now (I;m referring to the Tiffany solitaire I guess, but there are tons of variations/ modern updates to the solitaire that are equally beautiful!)
4) With a solitaire, there is only one diamond to worry about coming loose or having prongs checked - seems to be a common concern with the little sidestones
5) Really lets your centerstone shine
6) Is probably cheaper, saves some $ for the wedding/honeymoon!

Good luck with your decision - you cannot go wrong, either are great options.
If you are interested in a white metal, I''d go for platinum personally - after having both I think it is worth it.
Gail

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
peony,
Last I heard SP was working to solve that problem. You just don''t want diamonds rubbing against diamonds, that where the damage ocurs, good luck. I love Isaac, and bought my eternity band from him as well as my diamond studs. Have your boyfriend work with him he is a nice guy.
1.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the plain solataire and w-band. I think you will always love it and it''s timeless. The "Tiffany" setting has stood the test of time and will always be classic, versatile, and simply gorgous.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I think going with a plain band and e-ring solitaire makes sense for the first set if money is a concern. Better to get the best cut and biggest size center now. Then, on an important anniversary upgrade the setting. Unless you know that the ring you get now will be the one forever. I know my tastes have changed over the years. I have fancy rings, gemstone rings and I came full circle to the plain solitaire setting. Just totally classic and elegant. Some of us just take longer to realize that simple can sometimes be the best answer in the end
23.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am kind of liking solitaires more and more these days, after all this diamond encrusted micro-pave we have been seeing and all the halos and the eternity rings...I am finding myself more interested in looking at solitaires online, I love the idea of a solitaire paired with a diamond eternity band, yum.

Otherwise, I still do love the eternity style like my own rings, but prong set and not shared, but I'm kind of over everything else.
9.gif
I hope that we get a new 'trend' soon!!

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your comments thus far! I''m still pretty stuck on the idea of trying on a shared-prong e-ring in person, but I''m not sure where I could find one here in Chicago (I think SP operates out of NY). I feel like I''ve been to almost every jewelry store in the city, even in the diamond district. The only shared prong rings I found were pretty thick (4mm) and weren''t set with a diamond.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope this post is not going to make WF mad
2.gif

On a previous thread, you were looking at two diamonds from them... and they also make shared prong rings. So.... do you think it would be possible to get to see one of their settings empty and return it (either to be set if you like the look or to have the diamond set in something else)?

I have no idea if they (or any other seller) would agree and how the cash flow could be organized etc. It can't hurt to ask
20.gif

This is the ring I am talking about:

tmb_big_DSCN1451.jpg.jpg

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Peony,

I can understand your dilemma both options will be stunning. If you have very small fingers go with option 1 (i know a girl who''s ring is smaller than a 3 and this is what she has and it looks great on her). But my personal favorite is option 2. Or you could let your BF surprise you if you like both equally.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Peonygirl

In Chicago, have you tried Goldin''s jewelers on Erie? They are not truly retail like CD Peacok or Tiffany''s. It''s one of those place where you have to be buzzed in by security twice and they bring you things to view rather than cases around. My e-ring came from there and they had fabulous service. If you ask for Randy and describe what you''re looking for he can tell you whether they have it or not. It might be an option for you to view the shared prong look.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Aww Poenygirl we are in the throws of the same dilemma! I am very fond of both but not sure which I love best, I know that which ever I get now this will be it forever. Would you ever consider upgrading? As I have been looking at solitaires I have noticed that they are not a whole lot cheaper then a eternity band about 2-6 hundred less but when you consider the over all cost that is not a huge difference. Unless it changes the stone you are purchasing to go in the ring.
Have you been to Diamond Scassi? They are in Chicago and have Shared Prong semi mounts, though the head is diffrent. Perhaps a day trip there could help you make your decision?
HTH!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results