shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t decide on 3 stones... please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jrhee

Rough_Rock
Finally narrowed the search to 3 stones but can''t decide which one to buy..

1. 1.82 ct, E color, Ideal Cut, VS2

2. 2.04 ct, F color, Good/Very Good, SI
The jeweler thinks that the SI was in error. Under the microscope, this looks more like a VS2. However, the F color looks closer
to a G than an E

3. 2.02 ct, F color, Ideal, VS2 - 4$ more than #2 but the color looks a bit better than #2

-help!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
go with the one that one that looks the best to you. there reallly isn''t enough information to offer any more advice. if they are really that close in contention, decide what is most important (color, cut, clarity..price...) and go from there. good luck!

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
1. You didn''t mention whether the diamonds you are considering are ROUND, PRINCESS, or something else

2. Between 2 F color stones, one might look whiter than the other as a result of better cut. A well-cut stone has the ability to make a stone look whiter.

3. Diamonds are priced on SLAB ranges. For example, the price per carat for a 1.7 or a 1.9 carat stone will be SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than a stone that is over 2 carat. If the magic number of 2 is not what you are looking for, then I suggest you to look for stones less than 2 carat to save some BIG bucks.

4. E,F,G colors can be differentiated only when they are placed to next each, i.e., on comparision. If you look at a stone by itself, I don''t think you will be able to guess what color it is. Since that is how people will be looking at your ring, F or a G should be good enough, and spending your money on E is not what I would recommend.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I would stick with #2 or #3. Nice to have 2 carats. As for the cut you said #2 is good/very good but #3 is ideal. I have an ideal H & it''s very bright white. Everyone oohs & aahs over it. Well it is from Tiffany & is 1.85 carats. So for me it was worth the premium. I wonder if the ideal cut of #3 is making it look brighter than that of #2. That $4,000.00 extra is for the jump in clarity from si1 to vs2 & also for the ideal cut of #2. $4,000.00 is a lot of money, have you considered going down in color like G-H ideal cut to save that money? I would be very hesitant to get #2 being only a good/very good cut & you can see a color difference. #3 just seems so expensive. Color is a very personal thing but to the average joe once mounted & on a finger can''t tell the color difference between an F-H. Just my .02

jrhee

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input...

Do you think that it''s weird to have the same color stones (F) be different in color? How imortant do you think the cut of ''Ideal'' versus ''Very Good'' is?

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Yes it''s possible for the same color stones to look different. Some roughs are more yellow, brown. Also within colors there are ranges. I had an H 1.50 that looked warmer than my current H 1.85 from the side. The cut also makes a difference. I doubt my H would look as bright white if it weren''t ideal. By the way you should look at the F''s without comparing them side by side because in the real world you wouldn''t be comparing them side by side, you''d be looking at it by itself on your girls finger.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results