shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''''t decide between 2 diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

d2891

Rough_Rock
Hi,
This is my first post here, but I''ve been reading for months. This really is a wonderful resource. Thank you to those of you that take the time to post such valuable information.
Here''s the issue, I''m on a budget and am trying the decide between the following 2 diamonds off the internet:
----------------------------------------------------
Shape: Round Brilliant
Carat weight: 0.42
Measurements: 4.86-4.89 x 2.96 mm
Cut: Ideal
Color: F
Clarity: SI1
Characteristics: Crystal, Cloud
Depth %: 60.6%
Table %: 55.4%
Crown Angle: 32.5 deg.
Crown Height: 14.4%
Pavilion Angle: 40.9 deg.
Pavilion Depth: 42.9%
Symmetry: VG
Polish: EX
Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted
Culet: 1.2%
Fluorescence: None
$702
--------------------------------------------------------
Shape: Round Brilliant
Carat weight: 0.41
Measurements: 4.83-4.90 x 2.93 mm
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Characteristics: Twinning Wisp
Depth %: 59.9%
Table %: 58%
Crown Angle: 33.4 deg.
Crown Height: 13.8%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8 deg.
Pavilion Depth: 42.8%
Symmetry: VG
Polish: VG
Girdle: Thin to medium, polished
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
$643
----------------------------------------------------------
I''m told that both diamonds are eye clean. The color and carat sizes are close enough to each other that I wouldn''t notice a difference between the two. I care most about cut and would like the best cut stone. Both score well on the HCA (0.7 and 0.9 respectively), but I just can''t decide between the two. Any opinions or insights?

Thanks in advance,
George

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Need more info:
they from the same vendor?
Do you have ideal-scope images?
H&A images?

To be honest I dont really like the crown angle on either one.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
My gut says the second one. The crown angle is much more shallow than the norm that we see here, but the HCA doesn''t seem to punish for that, and that is what the HCA is good at -- looking at the combo of the crown and pavilion. I didn''t have time to run the numbers, but are those HCA using the angle and not the %? It is much more accurate with the angle, so make sure you''''ve run it with angles and ignore the % since you have the angles.

d2891

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies. Yes, they are both from the same vendor (Blue Nile). I don''t have any ideal-scope or H&A images (I don''t think I can get them from Blue Nile). I was concerned about the crown angles as well, but wasn''t sure how big of a deal it was. Also, the HCA scores given were calculated using the angles and not %. The AGA cut grade for both diamonds was a 1B. Any further suggestions?

Thanks again,
George

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''d be split, too.

At first, I thought I''d be an relatively easy fan of #1...for $60, you''re getting an F over a G; since I''ve been reading here, I''ve gotten a soft spot for Fs. I picked a G for my wife, though.

Then I ran the numbers. Though both HCA scores are similar, and I wouldn''t readily recommend a .7 over a .9, or vice versa, counter-intuitively, the .9 and stone #2 does score for 4 "excellents," including 1 for spread, as over option #1, with 3 excellents. I like the 4 Exes.

I''d consider going to a shop that has both Gs and Fs, looking at them, and seeing if you can tell one whit bit of difference. If you can''t, the choice could be easy again, and you could consider going for #2 more readily, especially given your prediliction of cut above all. But, I''m guessing there is an inherent difference between F & G, that you will see it, and you''re back where you are.

Sorry to not be helpful at all, but I hadn''t heard these comments, and maybe something here will clarify something for you.

Best wishes, and happy holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results