shape
carat
color
clarity

Canon camera lovers - advice please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I am in the market for a new digital camera to replace my Canon Powershot SD550. This time I would like something a little more sophisticated that will enable me to improve my photography skills, but I do not want a big bulky DSLR with separate lenses. We travel a lot and I would prefer something fairly compact. I used my son''s Panasonic TZ5 and hated the lack of an optical viewfinder. In the bright southwestern sun there were times I couldn''t see the LCD screen at all. I would prefer to stay with Canon. I like the looks of the new S90 but it doesn''t have a viewfinder so I am considering the G11. Any other Canon lovers out there who have suggestions for me?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 6:50:27 PM
Author:Sundial
I am in the market for a new digital camera to replace my Canon Powershot SD550. This time I would like something a little more sophisticated that will enable me to improve my photography skills, but I do not want a big bulky DSLR with separate lenses. We travel a lot and I would prefer something fairly compact. I used my son''s Panasonic TZ5 and hated the lack of an optical viewfinder. In the bright southwestern sun there were times I couldn''t see the LCD screen at all. I would prefer to stay with Canon. I like the looks of the new S90 but it doesn''t have a viewfinder so I am considering the G11. Any other Canon lovers out there who have suggestions for me?
My vote for what you saying is the S90, although if the lack of a viewfinder is a deal killer, the G11 might be the way to go (I don''t know anything about that camera though.)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for chiming in TG! I am tempted by the smaller size of the S90 and it is supposed to have good low light performance. Did I read somewhere that you are using a DSLR now that you have a little one?

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I have been happily using Canon D-SLR''s for years. I use a Sony TX1 for my compact camera and am not very familiar with compact Canon cameras.

I can offer a site with a G11 review. This is the conclusion page but there are another 20 pages preceeding it.
G11 review

Here''s a site with a S90 review.
S90 review

I know the Canon G series has been pretty well regarded among camera users looking for a little more than a point and shoot.

Treefrog

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the helpful links Treefrog! After visiting Best Buy I am leaning toward the G11. It is larger than the S90 but it still seems compact enough and I love the articulating screen. I just thought I would see if anyone on Pricescope owns either of these cameras, but they are both fairly new models.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad has the Canon G10 (older version of G11) and he LOVES it. He was just trying to talk me into getting one but I''m going to get a cheaper, smaller one-the SD940. The pictures the G10 takes are fantastic-really on the level of a DSLR. He also has a Canon DSLR of some sort...I forgot which one but he loves that, too. He uses the G10 when he doesn''t want to lug around the big DSLR.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2009 11:45:40 AM
Author: Sundial
Thanks for the helpful links Treefrog! After visiting Best Buy I am leaning toward the G11. It is larger than the S90 but it still seems compact enough and I love the articulating screen. I just thought I would see if anyone on Pricescope owns either of these cameras, but they are both fairly new models.
Good. I usually suggest trying the actual cameras out but I forgot. I''m glad you did that.

Yes, they''re both pretty new. I check the forums on that dpreview site periodically and people loved the G10 (and I suspect G11 as well now that it''s out). Anytime some of those people were prevented from taking a DSLR into some type of event, they mostly seemed to resort to the G10. From what I gather, it has most of the controls of a DSLR but without the interchangeable lenses. This is pretty much along the lines of what thing2of2 said.

Treefrog

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
DH has Canon DSLR's - the 5D Mark II and the Rebel xsi, but I find them heavy and the whole changing lenses thing is a faff when all I want is to take family pics rather than 'art'... so I tend to use the Canon G10 which I love. Great quality pictures and easy to use, is very like using the DSLR but without the hassle - also small enough to fit in a handbag (or diaper bag in my case!).

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sundial -

I''ve just ordered an S90 for my new point & shoot. I have a Nikon D40 DSLR which I use when portability isn''t an issue, and the quality of those photos made me decide to upgrade my P&S as well. I too love an optical viewfinder because I spent so many years composing with one on my film cameras. But I''ve found that with P&S cameras, the viewfinder is actually kind of awkward to use because the cameras themselves are so small. From everything I''ve read, the S90 comes closest to solving the issues I have with my current point & shoot - the necessity for flash indoors or whenever there isn''t bright, bright light. I really like to do candid portraits and a flash just wrecks those, plus it gives everything a hard, artificial color cast. I also ordered a special grip to make the camera easier to hold one-handed. That was the other issue I have with my current P&S. It''s really slender, but that also makes it hard to hold still.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thing2of2, Treefrog, and Pandora thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on the G10! It is helpful to know that others find a camera that size a good take-along choice and that they've had positive experiences with the G series. The G10 is still available and some reviewers even seem to prefer it over the G11, but the G11 is supposed to have improved low light performance and there's that wonderful articulating LCD screen.

Rainwood I appreciate your comments as well. I have read great things about the S90 and if I had a DSLR and this was my second camera that would be my first choice. However since this will be my one and only I am probably going to buy the G11. I understand that the optical viewfinder is somewhat limited but at least it gives me some flexibility in strong sunlight.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Sundial,

It''s been a while. Hope all''s well.

I don''t know anything about the other model, but I am extremely fond of the G11. Its auto mode is highly sensitive and accurate. Even though I have a Canon DSLR (EOS Rebel Xsi), I''m tempted to get the G11. Someone described it as "the professional''s point and shoot," and I agree. I''ve been doing a lot of macrophotography (in low light at that) and actually prefer the G11 to the DSLR.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Harriet it is good to "see" you! I''ve been off the forum for a while, but everything is good. I hope you are doing well. I appreciate your thoughts on the G11 and I am ready to pull the trigger just in time for Christmas. My husband and I have booked another cruise for next spring (Egypt, Israel, Turkey, Croatia, Venice, and the Greek Isles) so I need a good camera to take along. I am just used to a simple point and shoot so it will be fun to learn how to make the most of this camera.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this your first cruise since we last ''spoke?'' The itinerary sounds fascinating. Please tell me that you won''t be sailing with Oceania, though.

As for the G11, I have to say that I don''t know how well it zooms, since I use it only for macrophotography. I''d be interested to hear what you think.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2009 5:02:53 PM
Author: Harriet
Is this your first cruise since we last ''spoke?'' The itinerary sounds fascinating. Please tell me that you won''t be sailing with Oceania, though.

As for the G11, I have to say that I don''t know how well it zooms, since I use it only for macrophotography. I''d be interested to hear what you think.
Yes Harriet my last cruise was in June of 2007 so I am looking forward to going and all of the ports will be new to us. We are sailing with Regent Seven Seas again. They were offering some good deals for 2010 when we booked last summer.

I am looking forward to taking the G11 out to play. The 5X zoom is better than my old Canon but not as good as my son''s Panasonic at 10X, but his doesn''t take very clear photos when the zoom is fully extended. Anyway I''ll keep you posted when I get a chance to use it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d like to try Regent or Crystal the next time. They''re both part of AMEX''s Black and Platinum programmes, so I''d expect them to be top-notch. I''m excited for you. From my apartment, I can see the cruise ships sailing out of the port of Miami and always get wanderlust!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results