shape
carat
color
clarity

can you tell the difference???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Hi - quick question. Would anyone be able to tell the difference between a 6.9 diameter and a 6.82 diameter for a RB. if you had to choose betwen 2 almost identical diamonds, both VS2, but one had more inclusions under the table clumped together than the other... which would you choose? what if the one with more inclusions had a slightly bigger diamater as mentioned above? would that even be the slightest bit noticeable?

How come some companies list diamonds as "ideal" when they fall out of the AGS range, for example 58% table....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO.

have you seen these or is the inclusions ''clump'' only a mark on the GIA cert ?

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
TLS,

As a general rule I tell people to disregard the inclusion position for anything VS2 or above. It just doesn''t matter. There are those very rare VS2 diamonds that have visible inclusions, but unless this diamond is an emerald cut it isn''t going to be visible - period.

Think of it this way: If the diamond was VVS1 with a single microscopic pinpoint would you care where it was located? What if it was VVS2 with 2-3 pinpoints? What about VS1 with a itsy-bitsy single crystal? VS2 is really the same - just a few more items to gander at with a microscope.

As to listing 58% as "ideal", my only guess is that they''re using a pretty relaxed definition. 58% ain''t the end of the world but it doesn''t command the same premium as you''ll find with a 53-57 table stone.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
hi - I appreciate your response. What about the diameter difference - would that even be remotely noticeable a 6.82 vs a 6.9 diameter? thanks again

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I seriously doubt any normal person will be able to tell a .07 difference.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
i am not normal... hehe kidding. I have become pretty obsessed with researching this though.....

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
I would ignore the diameter difference and focus on other data points:
- which meets your price target
- which has the better HCA score
- compare IdealScope images
- compare with your eye

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I''d say that buying strictly by numbers is probably not your best bet. Use your research to your advantage to learn the paramaters of a good stone, but if you have the luxury of viewing this stone in person, I''d say if it sings to you, that''s all that matters. The extremely minute difference in the two stones you mentioned should not be obvious to the naked eye, and if it is, then I think you should go send yourself off to gemology school cuz dang you''re better than the rest of us.
9.gif
J/K.
2.gif

~kmom
35.gif

TLS

Shiny_Rock
unfortunately it is online, so I can''t see them. I have been told though that visually they are identical. But one of the VS2''s seem to have a lot more inclusions (crystals under the table) than the other... in fact it seems to be a lot more than i have seen with VS2''s. I have no doubt that they are absolutely not visible to the naked eye, i just found it odd that for a VS2 it had so many crystals under the table... usually when I see those lovely magnified shots for a VS2 there isn''t that much to look at.

I would really like to find an eye clean SI1 because i hate the idea of paying for clarity i can''t see, but I am having a hard time finding what i am looking for . Maybe i have gone a little over the top with my obsession for an IDEAL, AGS O cut.

Has anyone compared an AGS 0 next to an AGS 1 and actually really found the difference to be that noticeable?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results