shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you help me pick out a Radiant stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkles31

Rough_Rock
HELP!! My boyfriend and I are looking for a loose radiant shape stone for our engagement. We have gone to a few jewelry stores but have decided to buy the stone online. We are looking for something along the lines of the following:

Shape: radiant
Carat: 1.7-2.0
Color: H - I (open to suggestions)
Clarity: SI1 - SI2, must be eye-clean (open to suggestions)

As far as depth, table, crown, measurements etc., I''M NOT SURE WHAT TO LOOK FOR. I have read other postings regarding the details to look for but I am still a tad bit confused.

Can anyone here help us pick out some stones?????? Links???

Thanks all - I really appreciate it
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey sparkles
35.gif
welcome to ps and congratulations on the engagement!
36.gif

for a fancy shape like a radiant, you are going to have to have a stone (or three)
3.gif
brought in. that means a vendor will have the stone of your choosing shipped to them, and subsequently you, to look at. finding a good vendor is key. they will know what to look for and can narrow the search very quickly for you. there are several reputable vendors here on ps. i have personally dealt with www.whiteflash.com and can recommend them highly. best of luck!

sparkles31

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I was actually looking at Whiteflash. Below is one of the radiants we are looking at on that site. Are we on the right track?

Price: $8,078.00
Report: EGL
Shape: Radiant
Carat: 2.00
Color: H
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 73.2
Table: 71
Girdle: M-
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 7.12-6.82X4.99
Length/Width: 1.04

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''re welcome
2.gif

you know that there''s a chance that an egl graded ''h'' could actually be lower (like i-j) right? it''s not always the case, but just something to be aware of.
as far as the numbers go, i would check out dave atlas'' site www.gemappraisers.com in the left hand column click on ''old aga cut grade charts and rules'' and then select radiant from the drop down menu. you will find some good guidelines there.
2.gif

sparkles31

Rough_Rock
Ok here are a few more that I need input on, which would you choose?:

#1 #2 #3 #4

Shape Radiant Radiant Radiant Radiant
Carat 2 1.7 1.71 1.72
Color H G G I
Clarity SI2 SI2 SI2 SI1
Measurements 7.12-6.82X4.99 6.68-6.64X4.62 6.96-6.70X4.42 7.07-6.92X4.44
Table % 71 66 69 75
Depth % 73.2 69.6 66 64.2
Polish Good Excellent Very Good Very Good
Symmetry Good Good Good Good
Girdle M- TK STK-TK F M-TK
Culet None None None None
Fluorescence No No No No
Certificate EGL GIA GIA GIA

sparkles31

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/9/2006 12:11:49 AM
Author: belle
you''re welcome
2.gif

you know that there''s a chance that an egl graded ''h'' could actually be lower (like i-j) right? it''s not always the case, but just something to be aware of.
as far as the numbers go, i would check out dave atlas'' site www.gemappraisers.com in the left hand column click on ''old aga cut grade charts and rules'' and then select radiant from the drop down menu. you will find some good guidelines there.
2.gif

I did not know that. I will check out that website. THANKSSSS, I would be lost without this website!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hello, welcome to PS!!!

If there is one thing I have learned here, it is not to simply look at numbers when judging a stone. You need to see them with your own eyes- they are the best judges.

Hopefully one of the radiant experts like Nicrez or David (from Diamonds by Lauren) will chime in here. But Belle is right, EGL grading is much different than GIA, just be aware of that...

Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely agree that with Radiants it is best to evaluate them by the eyes and use the numbers as a starting point. With the EGL grading, it is possible that the grading may be higher than the diamond deserves but also you might find one that is accurate via appraisal etc and find a bargain!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
You really need to see a radiant to judge it Two radiants with the same l/w & depth numbers can look completely different. I have a radiant e-ring and I was amazed at how different radiants could look. That being said, I''d be tempted to bring in #2 and #3 if they are eye clean. I found that I could see inclusions more easily in the radiants than in the rounds. I was also more color sensitive in the radiants.

What type of setting are you considering?

sparkles31

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/9/2006 8:42:05 AM
Author: IslandDreams
You really need to see a radiant to judge it Two radiants with the same l/w & depth numbers can look completely different. I have a radiant e-ring and I was amazed at how different radiants could look. That being said, I''d be tempted to bring in #2 and #3 if they are eye clean. I found that I could see inclusions more easily in the radiants than in the rounds. I was also more color sensitive in the radiants.

What type of setting are you considering?
When you say "bring in an e-ring," do you mean order it and then return it? Is there a place where you can actually go see e-rings or do you just talk to a rep?

I was looking at micro pave settings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results