shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you have internet without a land line or cable?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think in this day and age you should be able to get internet without a land line or cable... yes? I mean, I have internet service on my ipad and iphone pretty much anywhere I go so I would think there must be something similar that you can use in your home with a laptop. The closest I can find is "satellite" service through Hughes but I wonder if I'm missing something obvious...

If anyone has this or knows of it I would love some info!

As you can tell, technology is not my strong point!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a security system in your home, I think you have to have one of those in order to get it hooked up. (when our system was installed, this was the case)

DH was mentioning some sort of wireless option the other day. I think he said it is done without cable service or land line and is almost as fast as what we have?

FWIW, we have VOiP for our "landline" (security system needed this). We have no tv service (satellite, cable tv, etc) and no other phone line. Just the Comcast business internet. If it weren't for the security system, I could easily get rid of the Vonage and then we'd have nothing but internet at home.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
We have satelite out in the country, which is expensive. You can also root your phone to use it as a wifi hot spot, which is what my DH and sons do. We will cancel our satelite internet as soon as our contract is up and just use the cells to connect our computers to instead. You just need a good data plan for that.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1395172891|3636673 said:
If you want a security system in your home, I think you have to have one of those in order to get it hooked up. (when our system was installed, this was the case)

Our ADT system was installed with no cable, internet, or phone. It uses cell service. We have cable and internet together but I have tons of friends that have internet only. Look into AT&T Uverse if you have it in your area or I think Comcast is what my friends have.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have AT&T internet, no land line and no cable. Our internet router (that was really outdated, the repair guy totally laughed at it but it was what they sent us a couple years ago!) stopped working about a week ago and we just used our phones as hotspots since we have a huge data package for those anyway.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am actually having a security system installed but both of the companies I've talked to so far said it can be wireless. I was surprised by that!

My phone plan is unlimited data, so maybe that's the way to go. I will have to look into that some more.

ETA: I just read that your cell phone service provider can terminate your contract if they find out you are using it as a hotspot...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1395174115|3636683 said:
TooPatient|1395172891|3636673 said:

Our ADT system was installed with no cable, internet, or phone. It uses cell service. We have cable and internet together but I have tons of friends that have internet only. Look into AT&T Uverse if you have it in your area or I think Comcast is what my friends have.

Great to know!

Ours has been in since 2008 and it took a lot of looking and explaining (plus a different installer...) to even get them to hook the security system through VOiP.

I've been thinking about swapping security companies so this is great to know!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1395174696|3636692 said:
I am actually having a security system installed but both of the companies I've talked to so far said it can be wireless. I was surprised by that!

My phone plan is unlimited data, so maybe that's the way to go. I will have to look into that some more.

ETA: I just read that your cell phone service provider can terminate your contract if they find out you are using it as a hotspot...

I think some companies will let you add a hotspot to your plan. Not sure of the details, but might be an option.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
For a laptop, you can get a wireless internet card. My mom has one. It isn't as fast as having cable or dsl internet, but it works just fine.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I better clarify something: The space I'm converting to live in does not have cable currently (so it's not that I want to run the internet through cable and just not watch TV) and I don't know that there is an active land line either. So I'm trying to find something that doesn't require the *existence* of cable or phone lines (if that makes any sense).

OK, off to look at wireless laptop cards!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this a trick question? lol We have internet but not "cable." We have Dish TV and it's with a different company so they're not linked. Our internet is with comcast.

ETA - We have a wireless device by Netgear that allows all our wireless devices to work at all corners of the house.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha -- no trick question, I swear!

My understanding is that physical cable or phone line are the delivery mechanisms. So you can get internet through a cable line, but you don't have to use that cable line for TV.

I'm sure I'm not describing this very well! My problem is this space doesn't have either cable or phone lines and I'm trying to get internet without either of those physical delivery mechanisms.

Sorry for confusing people!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1395176138|3636723 said:

My understanding is that physical cable or phone line are the delivery mechanisms. So you can get internet through a cable line, but you don't have to use that cable line for TV.

I'm sure I'm not describing this very well! My problem is this space doesn't have either cable or phone lines and I'm trying to get internet without either of those physical delivery mechanisms.

Okay, I looked a bit more because we have tons of devices and misc electronics. We have an ASUS wireless router. Do you have something like that? Then we have a Netgear adaptor plugged into our desktop PC and then devices scattered all over the house that somehow work based on the ASUS router and its magic. lol (and all these worked before we had our dish installed. We haven't had cable or a landline since we moved here.)

ETA - maybe ours is hooked into the cable line. Too many cords...! Ugh. Do you have Comcast where you are? Can you ask them what they can provide?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC, what is the "source of information" for the router? I.e., is it hooked up to a cable or phone line (or outlet)?

I'm thinking of something totally free standing. For work I have a Jetpak that I can take on the road, but it's battery operated. Maybe there is something of the same/similar concept but that plugs into an electrical outlet so I won't be chewing through batteries at a rapid rate.

ETA: we must have been posting at the same time. I called AT&T and they want to run it through either the cable line or phone line but when I told them I had neither they didn't give me any other options.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
makemepretty, do you have a satellite receiver (or some other physical thing) mounted on your structure? I looked into Hughes but my building does not allow anything to be externally mounted.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1395177234|3636732 said:
MC, what is the "source of information" for the router? I.e., is it hooked up to a cable or phone line (or outlet)?

I'm thinking of something totally free standing. For work I have a Jetpak that I can take on the road, but it's battery operated. Maybe there is something of the same/similar concept but that plugs into an electrical outlet so I won't be chewing through batteries at a rapid rate.

ETA: we must have been posting at the same time. I called AT&T and they want to run it through either the cable line or phone line but when I told them I had neither they didn't give me any other options.

I shouldn't be giving out advice w/out looking more. I thought you had a cable outlet, but in a different room than where you wanted to use your devices. We have a double cable outlet with two plugs connecting that to the huge jumble of cords and routers under our TV stand. It's rather scary to even poke around in there (cords and dust bunnies)! I'm not sure what works, then... I can ask my DH tonight if you haven't gotten a response by then. He's the computer savvy one. I'm not so much...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
MC|1395177049|3636728 said:

Okay, I looked a bit more because we have tons of devices and misc electronics. We have an ASUS wireless router. Do you have something like that? Then we have a Netgear adaptor plugged into our desktop PC and then devices scattered all over the house that somehow work based on the ASUS router and its magic. lol (and all these worked before we had our dish installed. We haven't had cable or a landline since we moved here.)

ETA - maybe ours is hooked into the cable line. Too many cords...! Ugh. Do you have Comcast where you are? Can you ask them what they can provide?

A wireless router is only spreading what comes in through the modem. So you still have to get the internet into your house, somehow.

Dee*Jay- This is what I was talking about- http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/homefusion/hf/main.do

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm using Comcast internet & TV even if I don't use their TV service it only cost $10 less per month.

What? no cable or phone lines?.. :confused: DJ, do you live in the boonies?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
there are 3 options:
satellite
local wisp = wireless isp. puts an antennae on the roof and points it to a local tower or tall building with an access point. Then you run a wireless router to get internet in the house.
cell - phone, laptop card, usb dongle, router with built in cell radio.

wisp is the best option if you have one available.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1395183532|3636820 said:

I'm using Comcast internet & TV even if I don't use their TV service it only cost $10 less per month.

There are millions of people some right outside large cities whose phone lines will not support dsl and cable is not available.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
We bought a place in the country where cable still isn't an option and the house didn't have a phone line. When we went to get the internet hooked up they had to install a phone line. We only had one company that would supply internet out there, so our options were limited.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Is the problem the cable and phone lines are not available or that you do not wish to have them installed?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1395185845|3636857 said:
Dancing Fire|1395183532|3636820 said:

There are millions of people some right outside large cities whose phone lines will not support dsl and cable is not available.
Yes, But I think DJ lives in Chicago.... :read:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not exactly the boonies DF -- 1.75 miles from the Sears Tower!

There was never any cable in this space as far as I can tell, and I can't imagine where a land line comes in... believe me, the space is gutted down to the studs at this point so I would think I'd have seen it (but I suppose anything is possible I am missing it somehow).

The problem is this is commercial space I'm converting to a residence so not all of the "normal" things you think of in a home are readily apparently. E.g., the area that I'm going to put my bed in used to be the reception area. :cheeky: And the old offices? Welcome to the dining room! (Although to say "room" is kind of a misnomer because the only walls are to enclose the bathrooms. Basically I'm going to live in a 2800 square foot studio.)

That being said, I suppose I could have a phone line or cable installed, but I am just so surprised in this day and age that I can't easily go all wireless.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where we live? Yes.

Where you live? I have no idea.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How Kenny? Do you have your own hot spot? (I'm talking *internet* here my friend -- keep it clean for the kiddies!) Satellite service? Some other method I'm not thinking of sans cable or phone lines...?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1395188912|3636892 said:
How Kenny? Do you have your own hot spot? (I'm talking *internet* here my friend -- keep it clean for the kiddies!) Satellite service? Some other method I'm not thinking of sans cable or phone lines...?

We have Internet & TV, both from FIOS.
They offer Internet only.
Others do too, but we are in Southern California.

I assume what's offered else where may be different.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1395188027|3636878 said:
Not exactly the boonies DF -- 1.75 miles from the Sears Tower!

There was never any cable in this space as far as I can tell, and I can't imagine where a land line comes in... believe me, the space is gutted down to the studs at this point so I would think I'd have seen it (but I suppose anything is possible I am missing it somehow).

The problem is this is commercial space I'm converting to a residence so not all of the "normal" things you think of in a home are readily apparently. E.g., the area that I'm going to put my bed in used to be the reception area. :cheeky: And the old offices? Welcome to the dining room! (Although to say "room" is kind of a misnomer because the only walls are to enclose the bathrooms. Basically I'm going to live in a 2800 square foot studio.)

That being said, I suppose I could have a phone line or cable installed, but I am just so surprised in this day and age that I can't easily go all wireless.

While you've got it all stripped down like that, you might consider adding any wiring you'll want. Even if you don't want it right now you won't get a better time than with the walls open! (speaker wire? CAT5E (or 6) to central location so wired is option? Additional lighting/outlets/etc?)

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, we have a dish mounted on the roof but I've seen them mounted on a pole in a yard if they didn't want it attached to the house. We pay $91 a month and still can't stream! We've had both Wild Blue (Dish TV) and Hughes Net (Direct TV). Neither is better or worse. They're both pretty expensive and basic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results