shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you give me your opinion ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lam

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I found this site from a discussion on this forum regarding Benjamin Moore paint, and I hope can can offer your opinion.
For the last two days I painted a 20x13 room (two coats) of Putnam beige Matte finish(beautiful color). Since the room has beautiful white ceiling mouldings I decided to do ceiling as well with same paint. I started a new gallon and painted half the celing while I touched up all the edges of mouldings on ceiling and walls as well as any thin spots on the walls. A few hours later I noticed
6.gif
'');" height=15 alt="Insert smilie
6.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/6.gif" width="15 border=0">that the new paint where I touched up on the walls was a marketly different in color (more yellowish). I called the dealer and he suggested that since I already started ceiling and we didn''t know which batch of paint might be bad to finish the ceiling with the paint that I started with. Well, I ran out of that gallon 3/4''s way through and had to open new gallon. After finishing the entire ceiling and touching up all of the edges on the other side I now noticed that the new batch was mismatched (greyer). I coated 2-3 x and never had a problem like this before. Obviously there is a problem with the paint, and my neck is aching and I don''t want to do this all again.
15.gif
'');" height=15 alt="Insert smilie
15.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/15.gif" width="15 border=0">
Am I out of line to ask the dealer to send someone in to redo at his expense? If you think I am wasting my time fighting a battle rather than suck it up I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
35.gif
'');" alt="Insert smilie
35.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/35.gif" align="absMiddle border=0">

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lam!! Sorry to meet you under such frustrating circumstances. But welcome just the same!
35.gif

This happens often. Some cans don't get machine mixed well enough or we forget to stir...or the machine that makes it...just doesn't have the proper amount of tint to drop. They are mixed by humans and mistakes are made. They may have entered that the paint was a tinted base or not tinted and the formula got mixed up.

Can you decipher any differences on the label? Are all cans printed with the same lot number? Same sheen?

I know this isn't going to help you now...but in the future you can pop the lids and check before you paint. You can also dump all the paint in one container and mix it and then you know. Of course non of that advice is going to help this room. One more thought...did one person apply all the paint? Each one of us has a different amount of pressure and multiple painters will give you different results. Just wanted to add that in for thought.

Some one to fix it...isn't going to happen. But you can demand a remake of the paint...and this time don't leave until all cans are opened and checked. I wouldn't pay for the remake. As long as you are confident you mixed and stirred it sufficiently...it would be their fault. But labor isn't anything they cover at anytime. Even if they were wrong.

Think of a film developing counter for comparison. If they make a mistake and ruin your film, you are entitled to a replace roll of film...but not the services of the photographer to retake your photos.

Having your ceiling a shade or tone off from the walls isn't a bad thing. If you have enough paint and are able to ...I would get the ceiling as finished as I could. They go back and mix paint to make the ceiling paint can. So sorry for your frustration. I have been there...and it isn't a happy place. It will look different when you walk away a put another day between you. §

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results