shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you debate an opposing view?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Threadjack:
Ringster''s back!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/22/2008 7:54:21 PM
Author: ringster

Date: 9/22/2008 2:40:31 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Date: 9/22/2008 2:37:20 PM

Author: Daydreamer7130

I believe that is it truly admirable and honorable that McCain while a POW inspired so many other American POWs to hang on and keep faith and then stayed to be the last one released. I do believe that he does love his country will all of his being.

I also admire all the charity work that Cindy does for the children of the world. The story of her being in Mother Theresa''s orphanage and MT handing her a little girl and begging Cindy to take and raise her was especially touching. Especially since she did ... without her husband''s knowledge and consent. She is now 15, I believe. Cindy also talked her close friend in adopting a little girl from the orphanage also- which they did.
Daydreamer, I didn''t know this . . . thanks for posting it! And good for Cindy! That''s definitely very admirable!
36.gif

threadjack - would like to prevent false info being spread --

cindy''s story about mother theresa is a lie

http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2008/08/20/watchdogs-make-it-harder-for-politicians-to-stretch-the-truth/

---
Well, that''s disappointing!
7.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 8:27:00 PM

I believe that is it truly admirable and honorable that McCain while a POW inspired so many other American POWs to hang on and keep faith and then stayed to be the last one released. I do believe that he does love his country will all of his being.

I also admire all the charity work that Cindy does for the children of the world. The story of her being in Mother Theresa''s orphanage and MT handing her a little girl and begging Cindy to take and raise her was especially touching. Especially since she did ... without her husband''s knowledge and consent. She is now 15, I believe. Cindy also talked her close friend in adopting a little girl from the orphanage also- which they did.
Daydreamer, I didn''t know this . . . thanks for posting it! And good for Cindy! That''s definitely very admirable!
36.gif

http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2008/08/20/watchdogs-make-it-harder-for-politicians-to-stretch-the-truth/

---
7.gif

Yeah the MT part is questionable to say the least, but I still admire her for bringing the girl home. She''s really cute, she was at the convention.
5.gif

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 8:13:15 PM
Author: Harriet
Threadjack:

Ringster''s back!

;-) ... just poking my head up. hope you are doing fantastic married lady!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/22/2008 8:51:13 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS

Date: 9/22/2008 8:27:00 PM

36.gif

---
7.gif

Yeah the MT part is questionable to say the least, but I still admire her for bringing the girl home. She''s really cute, she was at the convention.
5.gif
Sarah, so do I! Even if MT was not involved, adopting that little girl was still a very admirable thing for Cindy to do.
36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well the MT part was new to me...the RNC video only had the part that she adopted the girl from abroad....

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG, not to spoil it for you but I watched him speak last week in what was a more unrehearsed speech from Florida about the economic issues facing our country. He was, quite frankly, not eloquent. He was FINE, he made his points, but he stumbled and was not magnificent. To me it showed that without a lot of prep, he is not any better at getting out there and speaking than anyone else might be. And I feel that while it is nice to listen to a more polished orator, it does not mean they are better at leading. I only point this out because McCain is NOT a great speaker in terms of polish or charisma and much has been made about Obama''s abilities. I found that in a normal, more typical setting, i.e. something coming up and the President must get out there amongst the people or on camera, he was not electrifying or amazing. Just thought that was worth noting.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 11:07:46 PM
Author: diamondfan
TG, not to spoil it for you but I watched him speak last week in what was a more unrehearsed speech from Florida about the economic issues facing our country. He was, quite frankly, not eloquent. He was FINE, he made his points, but he stumbled and was not magnificent. To me it showed that without a lot of prep, he is not any better at getting out there and speaking than anyone else might be. And I feel that while it is nice to listen to a more polished orator, it does not mean they are better at leading. I only point this out because McCain is NOT a great speaker in terms of polish or charisma and much has been made about Obama''s abilities. I found that in a normal, more typical setting, i.e. something coming up and the President must get out there amongst the people or on camera, he was not electrifying or amazing. Just thought that was worth noting.
He''s better than McCain diamondfan, that is for sure. Is he Clintonesque? Probably not. But he''s better than Bush!

And yes, I know it does not mean he will make a great leader. But it is a good quality to have...to inspire and pique the imagination.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyone is better than Bush!

McCain is not eloquent but he speaks from his heart, you may not like the sentiments but I see realness there.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 11:43:00 PM
Author: diamondfan
Anyone is better than Bush!

McCain is not eloquent but he speaks from his heart, you may not like the sentiments but I see realness there.

Yeah, I enjoy this as well. Obama is very good, don''t get me wrong, but McCain just pulls me in sometimes. Annnnnd sometimes I forget he''s talking.
12.gif
But when he pulls me in..he really pulls me in.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get ya ladies. But we''re supposed to say something nice about the other candidate...hehehe.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 11:48:30 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I get ya ladies. But we''re supposed to say something nice about the other candidate...hehehe.

Yeah I will get back on topic.
5.gif
Hehe. Obama''s youth is refreshing to some people.
5.gif
See, that''s positiveish!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOOHHHH! I thought this was RHETORICAL! (as in could you ever, not just politically, debate the opposing side to your views).

Okay, Obama has seemingly energized previously apathetic young people to register and has gotten them interested in the political process.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I''ll contribute....

I appreciate Dems making health care for all a top priority.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Can I say something nice about one of the other Republican candidates in the primary? As much as I disagree with Huckabee politically, I think that man is hilarious! I think that of all the candidates in the primary, republican or democratic alike, he''s the one I''d want to have over for dinner.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Sarah Palin''s "First Dude", Todd, is hot. Good job Sarah!!!
31.gif

I don''t know if that counts, but I''m just saying... he could get it...
3.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 1:41:21 AM
Author: ladypirate
Can I say something nice about one of the other Republican candidates in the primary? As much as I disagree with Huckabee politically, I think that man is hilarious! I think that of all the candidates in the primary, republican or democratic alike, he''s the one I''d want to have over for dinner.
He is funny. Too bad he couldn''t run with Chuck Norris.
Then they could run as Chuckabee!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2008 11:53:18 AM
Author: iluvcarats

ROFLMAO!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 11:57:10 AM

ROFLMAO!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
He is totally hilarious...I was a fan and liked him better than McCain. I did wonder if the guy was too goofy to be president, but then, look who we have in office.
3.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
McCain has shown people that they do not need to retire at 65, that one can still be very active at 72.

I also really like his book on people who inspire, its short bios of lots of regular people who did rather extraordinary things. My ELL (English Language Learner) students used to love reading from it, short, concise passages, with a nice message.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
To answer the thread title: yes, I can debate the opposing view. I think being informed about the opposing view is just as important as being informed of your own. Law students such as myself are actually often times forced to debate the opposing view and it is one of the things I love most about law school. I think all of the candidates have admirable qualities that would be much more visible outside of the context of the election. It is unfortunate that it brings out the worst in people, but I think it is a reality that we will have to deal with well into the future. It has become somewhat of a circus/soap opera every four years; I couldn''t imagine any squeaky clean politician (oxymoron to begin with) making it through the primaries. That being said...reality is so much juicier than fiction!

Since I am voting for McCain/Palin, I will say nice things about Obama/Biden. I think Obama is a very eloquent speaker and can engage his audience in a way few people can; I think he has gotten a lot more people off their rears and registered to vote on both sides, so that''s great too. I think Biden''s work on the VAWA is commendable.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Obama is against privatizing social security. I know this is very un-republican of me, but I don''t think it is a good idea to leave retirement in the hands of the people. For *me* it would be great...I love saving for retirement. But not everyone does, and look what happens when you let people go hog wild with their money...you only have to look at the current financial crisis to see what it does.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m a McCain supporter so here''s my good things for Obama:

I''m in IL and therefore quite familiar with Obama. I think he had a great start on improving chemical plant security (we have a large plant in our area). He''s also doing some great work for our veterans by trying to convert a hospital into a VA facility. Currently all of our area veterans have to drive hours to receive VA healthcare. And, he''s proactive on trying to gain funding for our recent series of floods in IL.

Wow, I did better than I would have thought...

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been shamed by IrishGirl into posting here.
9.gif

There are good things to say about Obama; I did say once that I had a completely open mind about the man before we got too far along in the process. So, obviously, he has some qualities that I can appreciate.

He is an excellent orator; and as we saw with Clinton (and lamented with Bush), that is a good thing. He would represent us well in that respect, no matter where in the world he went.

All of his ideas are not crap, of course. I''m right with him on nixing privitization of SS, for instance. I do believe we could do a much better job in matters of diplomacy; I agree that we appear to be thumbing our noses at times to the rest of the world. I''m sure that I can find others things we agree on, as well.

He seems to be a devoted dad and husband; and in general, he gives the overall impression of being a kind man who wants the best for people. We may not agree on methods, but I can''t fault his sincerity.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Okay, that was funny!
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/24/2008 1:54:13 PM
Author: HollyS
I''ve been shamed by IrishGirl into posting here.
9.gif

There are good things to say about Obama; I did say once that I had a completely open mind about the man before we got too far along in the process. So, obviously, he has some qualities that I can appreciate.

He is an excellent orator; and as we saw with Clinton (and lamented with Bush), that is a good thing. He would represent us well in that respect, no matter where in the world he went.

All of his ideas are not crap, of course. I''m right with him on nixing privitization of SS, for instance. I do believe we could do a much better job in matters of diplomacy; I agree that we appear to be thumbing our noses at times to the rest of the world. I''m sure that I can find others things we agree on, as well.

He seems to be a devoted dad and husband; and in general, he gives the overall impression of being a kind man who wants the best for people. We may not agree on methods, but I can''t fault his sincerity.
Holly, THERE you are!
9.gif

And I was not disappointed . . . very nice post!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results