shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you damage a too small ring trying to remove it from your finger?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
This may seem like a really dumb question, but I searched and couldn''t find an answer.

My aunt has an 18kt yellow gold eternity band with round channel set diamonds in it. The gold surrounding the channels is pretty thin, so it''s not a very thick band we are talking about. She wears it all the time b/c it is pretty snug on her finger and is afraid she is going to damage either the gold or the channel itself by tugging on it to remove it.

Can she actually bend the gold or damage the channel set stones trying to remove it and put it back on? She said she really needs to tug it to get it off, and if she does need to, she runs her finger under cold water and it comes off a little easier that way. This ring is fairly new -- just got it last year for an anniversary so it is sentimental, and she would obviously hate to "break" it.

Thanks for any advice.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Windex Windex Windex! Long Live Windex!
It makes getting too-small rings on and off soooo much easier.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have know idea if the ring can be damaged but sounds like it might be pretty rough on her finger to keep having to tug it off
40.gif
. I think she should get it sized up 1/4 or something..

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pebbles,

Not everyone''s finger is the same shape and people have different ideas about what constitutes really tugging. If she can do it, go talk with a local craftsman and let them watch her take it on and off. They should be able to advise on both the risks and the solution. Yes, it''s possible to damage a ring doing this but it''s more of a concern that she might damage her finger. Sizing it up a little bit isn''t usually either difficult or expensive.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Windex works but for really stubborn rings, the best solution is dental floss. My ring became stuck so tight I almost went in to have it cut off. Floss did the trick for me.

But yes, why not just size it a little?

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies. When she was at my house this weekend, she didn''t want to show me how hard she had to tug to try to get it off, but it looked really tight to me. I think I was always confused over whether or not eternity bands can be sized up or not. Since this is channel set, I thought it fell into the "should not try to resize" category. She said she will try to get to a jeweler this weekend and see what they can do.

Thanks again.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does dental floss get off a ring?

Can anyone post a pic how to use floss?

A pic would be worth 1000 words.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Cold soapy water.

IF that fails, fingers are very prone to swelling in response to diet . I know this sounds silly but if she were to eliminate salt and carbs in her diet for a few days and really watch her calories (even if not overweight) her fingers may shrink a little. Salt and carbs can cause fingers tobe puffy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m with Kenny, not understanding how dental floss helps?? I hope it can be sized pebbles.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard that you can either thread the dental floss through the ring and wiggle it off, or wrap it fairly tightly around the finger working downwards, then often the ring can be eased off, I expect Jazmine will be back later and tell us her method. I have had success with a really stubborn ring by soaking my hand in icewater for a few minutes, then squirting dishwashing liquid over my finger thickly so it doesn't foam, then the ring would come off, it sounds like a tiny resize might be best in this case though.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve tried the dental floss...didn''t work for me though.
I''m intrigued by the windex solution!! I''ve never heard that one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results