shape
carat
color
clarity

Can this ring be reset with another stone?

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello! :wavey:

I have ring that I purchased from a chain jewelry retailer about 17 years ago. It's a three stone ring, with an oval sapphire in the center. Th ring was my original engagement ring, and I loved it until I learned that there were much better sapphires out there. I replaced the ring Ruth a diamond solitaire, and haven't wine it in more than 10 years. However, I would love to replace the stone with another sapphire or spinel. Is that possible, I've been told by a jewelry sales person it would be difficult. I don't know if they were telling me the truth or not.

I would love to hear your opinion, and soak up some of your knowledge. Do you think that it would be possible to reset it with a precision cut stone? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I don't know why my photos are sideways, and please excuse the lotion on my finger nails, I just finished giving my baby a bath)

img_14761.jpg

img_14762.jpg

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh boy! I have some wicked typos in there. My grandmother would be appalled! Please excuse my errors, I typed my post on a phone between playing with my two year old, and tending to my baby. :wall:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi P-B: You didn't mention what type and quality of metal was used in your ring.

Please bear in mind that I am NOT a jeweler, but... from what I can see, it should be possible to use that setting with another stone. The main problem I see would be 1) finding a comparably sized replacement stone, and 2) the possibility that the prongs holding the center stone might have to be re-built to accommodate another stone. This is especially true if you use a round stone, but could also happen if you use a shallower or deeper oval, or if the prongs are cut or damaged in removing the current stone. It's also possible that original setting is not of particularly good quality - i.e., if it's particularly porous - which could make it prone to damage or more difficult to work with if the stone is replaced.

It's possible the jeweler you talked to saw a mass-produced ring and made assumptions about how much you'd be willing to spend on the re-set, or that he/she anticipated some of the potential issues and was trying to discourage you, or that they were not capable of doing the re-set well. You might want to get another opinion from another jeweler. Look for a shop that does original work as well as repair work so you can see examples of their work. Keep in mind that your reset could get complicated and a little pricey.

I enjoyed your typos! ;-) :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course it is possible to reuse a setting. The caveat is that you enlist an experienced jeweler who may need to build up the prongs if necessary.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can be done. I've reused 2 settings (1 cheap 14k ring that's over 20 years old and standard stock design and 1 20k ring) to change out the middle stones. Not an issue and even the not very highly skilled jewellers where I'm currently based can do it.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Now you get to do the fun part of choosing a stone!

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! You knowledge is so helpful.

It's just a 14kt white gold setting. Considering that it came from a chain retailer, I wouldn't expect that it would be particularly
great quality. I suppose that since resetting it is possible, I should probably measure the stone, and keep an eye out for a stone of similar size. If I can't find anything, I guess I could just give it to my daughter when she's a teenager...

I'm glad that you found my typos amusing, VRBeauty! I was mortified when I saw them, and it was too late to correct them.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Yes, just bring it to a good bench, like TL said.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To reuse the setting they might have to put new prongs or a new head in for the center stone. No problem per my jeweler when I talked to him about a ring I have.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be sure to also measure the depth of the stone, and have a jeweler/bench tell you how deep a stone the setting can accommodate. Some gemstones are cut much deeper than others, so you want to know that measurement (as well as L & W) before you start the hunt for a new stone. And the hunt is the best & funnest part! :wavey:

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone, for the great advice! I'm going to take all of that into consideration. I think I will will have the stone removed from the setting soon, so that it can be measured. I'm not in any hurry to find a replacement stone, but I can certainly start looking once I get all the measurements. I figure that since I haven't worn then ring in nearly a decade, I can take my sweet time finding a great stone. I will certainly seek advice and suggestions on this forum once the search begins. :wavey:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd urge you to take the ring to a jeweler who does bench work............many B & M jewelers have not a clue about actual bench jewelry work. Have the stone removed by a bench local to you.

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Digdeep. That's great advice! I know of a couple of bench jewelers in my area, but I've never needed their skills. If anyone in the Phoenix area has a jeweler that they would like to recommend, that would be awesome.

crescentgems

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi,

yes , the stone can be replaced , I would suggest you get the size of the Stone and shop for a new stone first . then take it to the jeweler to replace it. I have many contacts in the trade I would recommend this jeweler in phoenix

J goldman Ltd., http://www.jgoldmanltd.com/jewelry-repair

wishing you all the best
From Sunny Sri lanka

Ahmed shareek

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results