shape
carat
color
clarity

Can this diamond be saved with a re-cut??

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @Garry H (Cut Nut), @Karl_K, and @DejaWiz -- that is super-helpful! I feel so lucky to have access to this level of expertise on a public forum!

I will leave this one alone and make a pendant! No one I know has any need for a pendant but we will come up with something! It's not terrible to be constrained like that every now and then. And it's reassuring to know that there is a "use case" that can leverage the strengths the stone has; I can't throw this one back.

the table needs to be parallel with the scope lens and the camera lens parallel with both.

Yes -- and I could not achieve that with the pre-drilled holes; the stones rocked in the holes and even when I used a wide, flat plate to force the table parallel to the tabletop (horizontal), it did not (seem to) stay that way for any of the stones. I tapped gently with forceps and it "looked" correct but it never was. The photos are exactly what my eye saw so it's not the photography. I may need to experiment with drilling/melting (?) my own holes in the acrylic base-plate.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes -- and I could not achieve that with the pre-drilled holes; the stones rocked in the holes and even when I used a wide, flat plate to force the table parallel to the tabletop (horizontal), it did not (seem to) stay that way for any of the stones. I tapped gently with forceps and it "looked" correct but it never was. The photos are exactly what my eye saw so it's not the photography. I may need to experiment with drilling/melting (?) my own holes in the acrylic base-plate.
They are good enough to get what we needed from them.
You did good.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see signs of a tilted table, actually.

If the table on this stone wasn’t tilted - per the table reflection veering to the right of center, the stone would be tilted a bit downward in the divot on the left side. Green arrow. And if the table on this stone wasn’t tilted - the crown would be wider on the right side than on the left, because of the stone being a bit tilted in the divot. But that’s not what I’m seeing in any of the photos - actually to me looks slightly wider on the left. Either a tilted table or a #warped pavilion :bigsmile:

Regardless though, totally agree with prior posters - @LilAlex don’t touch this one!! Recut would mean significant weight loss. It must be blazingly bright IRL!! Stick it in a pendant or a bracelet and enjoy it :bigsmile:

Attachments

• 2BB8E392-201D-4A4F-AF33-BDCA2E3C5BF0.jpeg
    2BB8E392-201D-4A4F-AF33-BDCA2E3C5BF0.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the table on this stone wasn’t tilted - per the table reflection veering to the right of center, the stone would be tilted a bit downward in the divot on the left side

Good thinking, as always, @yssie! The image you posted is of the "positive control" -- the well-cut CZ. Both stones are tilted in the well for my images. I guess I can stand it on its head and make sure that the culet is well centered... But the fact that I see the tilting with the control and the test case (my stone of interest) makes me think there is an issue with my set-up.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! Okay, reading comprehension is obviously too much of a challenge for me right now. Carry on, carry on :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results