shape
carat
color
clarity

Can tanzanites be safely bezeled?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Are tanzanites too soft and fragile to bezel? (this would be for a pendant) And for example could a stone like Making the Grade''s be bezeled with the facteted girdle?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually sent pics of the tanzanite to JKT, and she said that it could be safely bezeled (by her at least) but that she would recommend a really soft metal of 22k. She''s bezeled tanzanites for clients before, you can see pics on her website.

Fiaind

Rough_Rock
I think, it would really depend on the bench jeweler you''re working with. I work with one that''s set rhodochrosite (moh''s of 3.5-4.0) and sphalerite (moh''s of 3.5-4.0) for me, into bezels. The rhodochrosite into white gold, and the sphalerite into sterling. I''d have no problem asking Jen to set tanzanite (moh''s of 6.5) for me, with her track record.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2009 6:42:03 PM
Author: Fiaind
I think, it would really depend on the bench jeweler you''re working with. I work with one that''s set rhodochrosite (moh''s of 3.5-4.0) and sphalerite (moh''s of 3.5-4.0) for me, into bezels. The rhodochrosite into white gold, and the sphalerite into sterling. I''d have no problem asking Jen to set tanzanite (moh''s of 6.5) for me, with her track record.
Completely agree. I would also add:

1. Are you prepared to take the risk because in the hands of a very skilled benchman, accidents can happen?
2. Does the gemstone have any inclusions that may weaken the gemstone?

I have many Tanzanites but would never bezel set a valuable one (in terms of monetary value but also in sentimental value) because I wouldn''t take the risk. That''s just my personal take on it. For a less expensive stone such as Apatite etc., I''m prepared to take the risk.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the bench person. Some will do it, and some won''t and some will do it and charge a buttload for it. my local guy won''t bezel tanzy at all. My guy is setting my sphene, though not in a bezel (but the prongs are super heavy).

-A

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have some bezel-set tanzanite, but they''re small pieces, like this one:
onyxtanzanite.jpg

I got that ring already set though. If I were deciding how to bezel a larger, higher-quality tanzanite, I think I''d go with someone like Julia who has an extremely strong track record with handmade bezels.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree to have someone you trust but I think it would be beautiful.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. I am glad you replied MTG because I was wondering about the "points" on stones like yours and whether that would make it more difficult also as opposed to more rounded girdles.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2009 10:32:49 PM
Author: Cind11
Thanks for all the replies. I am glad you replied MTG because I was wondering about the ''points'' on stones like yours and whether that would make it more difficult also as opposed to more rounded girdles.

It may very well be more difficult, but it seems an experienced jeweler can handle it :) Did you have a tanzanite in mind? Would love to see pics!
9.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 10:34:19 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Date: 10/7/2009 10:32:49 PM
Author: Cind11
Thanks for all the replies. I am glad you replied MTG because I was wondering about the ''points'' on stones like yours and whether that would make it more difficult also as opposed to more rounded girdles.

It may very well be more difficult, but it seems an experienced jeweler can handle it :) Did you have a tanzanite in mind? Would love to see pics!
9.gif

Well, I was thinking about the trillion tanzanite on Gene''s website although that is such a funny shape (all those points on the edge of the stone for lack of a better term) that I don''t know if it could be bezeled even if it wasn''t a tanzanite. Actually, I would use a cushion tsavorite, and a round yellow grossularite garnet I have (those two are from Gene as well) plus the tanzanite for a three stone pendant.

I love your tanzanite by the way.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That trillion is very pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results