shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone tell me if this is a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

doublek1229

Rough_Rock
I was looking at some rings for my girlfriends birthday she kind of likes unique jewelry. Anyway I saw this piece on EBay and was told I could have it for $375 shipped. Is this a good deal? I am not sure how rare the gem is or anything but it looks cool I thought. Here

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
seeems pretty good to me..I am not an opal expert though but looks nice

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an opal expert, but I wouldn't buy any opal with a closed back setting like that. It could be a doublet, triplet, or composite, and it's difficult to tell with a closed back. Now I could be entirely wrong, and some opal expert could look at that and say that's a typical real black opal, but that's just my opinion. I also prefer opals with some red in them, and not just blue and green. I think that the fact that it doesn't have any red keeps the price down if that is in fact a true black opal. It's also a rather small stone at 90 points, which also keeps the price down. Not all black opals are valuable.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I am very much not an opal expert. But I believe that opals with red are the rarest and most valued. also the structure of the color play, eg. rolling flash, broad flash, harlequin...are considerations in value and general enjoyment of a piece. Does it flash from all angles and present a seemingly different arrangement of color and pattern as it moves through those angles? also a consideration is the shape of the top; is it flat, low dome high dome? A dome will usually have more roll or play at different angles than a flat top. Is it all crystal or is there matrix underneath. how thick is it?
This one looks to be a flat top. also it doesn''t have much roll or play, just on and off. The palate is constrained to blue and green with a hint of yellow but not enough to relieve they eye. Then too opals are fickle stones and not so hardy. they fracture they scratch easily they can lose their water (not all of them but I wouldn''t have one if I lived in Santa Fe) they can lose their polish from pollution (like all of us).
In general, they''re not so general.
This one? Well if it came and you were disappointed with the stone or quality or workmanship making an overseas return will be a real pain. If you think opal would be good for her how about getting a real nice small loose opal and having it put in a setting like a hearts of water?
In the thread about settings for stones under 1 carat one of the first ones is a delicate ring of a thin band with a fine twist to it and a bezel that also has a fine twist,. that I think would be nice with a good opal

here is a place for loose opals:

http://opal-trader.com/solid-opal.asp

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Aren''t opals somewhat fragile? I''d be afraid of it getting ruined.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
my mom had an opal ring..sucker popped out in the cold winter of South Dakota ..she loved it too.

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t seen a blue and green opal before- interesting. It''s pretty, in a unique way. I''m not sure that it looks like a $400 ring to me, though, but that''s probably just my vintage style. This one sure is modern. I wonder how thick the opal is?

My grandma had an opal ring for years. It was a thick round top opal (I''m not sure what you call it) with diamonds around. Vintage/antique. She wore it for decades and it held up. Then again, that was solid antique craftsmenship... and she was fairly careful with it, and took it off when doing things like gardening or washing dishes. I''ve heard opals are something to be babied, as they can dry out, scratch, etc., like others have mentioned. I''ve been looking for an opal ring or pendent myself.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
the colours are pretty - but I know nothing about opals - the others sound like they had some good advice :)

doublek1229

Rough_Rock
Guys these responses have been great and very useful, I am going to hold off on that offer for now and keep looking around. I am open to any kind of rare stones that might make a great ring. Any suggestions from you guys/girls as you seem to know a lot more than me! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results