shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone give me some advice on this diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcu1276

Rough_Rock
round brilliant, measurements 7.69-7.79x4.52 mm., weight 1.60carats, depth 58.4%, table 61% girdle thin to medium, FACETED, culet none, finish: polish very good, symmetry GOOD, clarity grade VS2 color grade E fluorescence NONE. VS2. Is this diamond worth $16,000?

How much is this diamond really worth?

jcu1276

Rough_Rock
This is what the seller has described to me. Also it is GIA certified. I don''t know if she has the depth and table reversed. Isn''t this diamond considered a fish eyed.

Thank you for the response.

-John

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nvm

jcu1276

Rough_Rock
What does nvm mean? I just want to know if this diamond is worth purchasing and how much I should pay. Any expert opinion is appreciated.

jcu1276

Rough_Rock
Anyone expert out there think this diamond is worth buying for $11,000.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
As Garry mentioned, you can put the specs into the above "Pricescope your diamond" and find out what other diamonds with the same specs are going for. Without additional cut information, it is difficult for us to comment on it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2006 8:09:05 PM
Author: jcu1276
11k seems an awfully nice price!

I wish there would be some info about cut quality that I could ''read'' online - pictures don''t do much good unless they are taken in some standardized setup - like the ASET or IdealScope and that may not be easy either for you or the seller unless they did that before.

Be it 58 depth / 61 table or the other way around, the depth and table numbers alone are not enough to tell me if this is a lively stone or really not attractive. The new price is good, of course, but that is quite a bit of cash for a not so good looking diamond.

Of course, I wish it is a great looking stone as well as a well priced one! If you cared to compare it for cut quality with competing online offers (or other diamonds that you can''t line up next to it to look at), something like the IS might help. (see www.ideal-scope.com).

My 2c. I am not an expert.

Hope some of this helps.
1.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Wait, in your first post it says $16,000. Now you say $11,000. Which is correct?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2006 8:23:28 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

here's what a well cut 1.56ct F VS2 will cost.in other words, $11k will not buy you a nicely cut 1.60ct E VS2 with GIA report.

He, he! ;-) Sneaky... Most of the diamonds at GoodOldGold are 'Hearts and Arrows' - different plate.

JCU - is that what you are after?

There's an awful lot of talk about these stones online because the standardized, high precision cut leaves little to the imagination when the diamonds are not at hand to see. And these are beautiful stones by all means, online or off
9.gif

However, precision brings a premium - so from around 15k for 1.5cts E/VS it may get closer to 18k or so. At least judging from the listings here. Worth it? That's up to you.
38.gif

Edited to add...

speaking of 'Hearts and Arrows' - it may get E/SI1 instead of VS to meet the initial 15k mark (like this one). And if the stones are 'eye clean' which for SI1 is quite likely, perhaps the trade-off is not a bad thing. However, I would not feel good claiming that these diamonds with a 'pattern' are the only well cut or everyone's piece of pie. If yours happens to have good brilliance... the choice is not quite clear cut IMO.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2006 8:35:27 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 3/30/2006 8:23:28 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

here''s what a well cut 1.56ct F VS2 will cost.in other words, $11k will not buy you a nicely cut 1.60ct E VS2 with GIA report.

He, he! ;-) Sneaky... Most of the diamonds at GoodOldGold are ''Hearts and Arrows'' - different plate.
Ana
i did say well cut.
2.gif

jcu1276

Rough_Rock
Thank you to all that responded. I hope to meet up with this person tomorrow at a jeweler to get some input on the diamond for sale. She stated that the diamond was appraised for $16000, but would consider selling it to me for around $11-12 thousand.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2006 4:06:16 AM
Thank you to all that responded. I hope to meet up with this person tomorrow at a jeweler to get some input on the diamond for sale. She stated that the diamond was appraised for $16000, but would consider selling it to me for around $11-12 thousand.
try to get as much information as you can.keep in mind...most stones aren''t worth anywhere near the appraised value.

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 3:02:39 AM
This is what the seller has described to me. Also it is GIA certified. I don''t know if she has the depth and table reversed. Isn''t this diamond considered a fish eyed.

Thank you for the response.

-John
Before you spend $16,000, or $12,000 or $11,000, make sure you are confident with your knowlegde base, or have someone to help you. Returns are often not welcomed by most B&M sellers.

By looking at the dimensions, it is clear they the depth and table are not reversed, thus you are looking at a stone cut on the thin side. While some may persuade you towards a 61 table, I do not like a table size that large especially after it is set (prongs cover crown facets making table look even bigger).

"good" symmetry is two grades below the GIAs highest ranking and would DQ the stone from GIAs top cut grade (Ex). The crown and pavillion angles are likely too tight for GIA EX cut grade as well. If you want a clearer opinion, you would need to provide us those angles.

There is enough evidence that this is not a slam dunk super ideal stone. It may be well worth the money at the right price if you are looking for this kind of stone, the spread will be huge.

Sincerely,
David

jcu1276

Rough_Rock
I have the printout of the GIA report. There are no other dimensions available. This report was printed out in 1998 by GIA GEM TRADE LABORATORY.

The report states:

Round Brilliant
7.69 - 7.79 x 4.52mm
1.60 carats

depth: 58.4%
table: 61%
girdle: thin to medium, faceted
cutlet: none
polish: very good
symmetry: good
clarity: vs2
color: E
fluroescence: none

This is pretty much all the info I have. If I go to a jewelry store, how much do they charge for any advice to look at the diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results