shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone explain to me..

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies! I can't say I get it still, especially the blue box??? Wink sends a lovely wooden box. Whiteflash sent a lovely box and champaign and chocolates. But I'm gonna start a new thread on what DO you really covet?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoyed reading this thread. I think the easiest reason to "get" is that it's simpler than contacting a bajillion vendors and getting edjumakated.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Special thanks for no one knocking anyone else's treasure! We all have one!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have a few Tiffany silver pieces. Nothing more then $200-$300, just little charms I have picked up here and there through the years. Tiffany honestly just doesn't do it for me. Most big time designers don't actually. I perfer to get bigger and better pieces for cheaper. It is the deal seeker in me. However, with that said my favorite piece of jewelry is my Cartier Love braclet. It is the WG version with 4 diamonds, which I wear everyday. I absolutely love it. When I was 16 yo I had a wg bangle sautered (sp?) permenately onto my wrist. While I loved the look I needed something else to balance it out. I saw the Love bracelet several years later and absolutely fell head over heels in love with it. I really doubt I could have had something similarly made that could hold up for 24/7 wear for years. So I (well DH really) made the big slurge and bought it for me when I turned 29.

Did I hate paying extra for the brand name....yes I did. But the whole experience of buying it with DH was a great/ wonderful/ funny moment for us. I'll never feel that my bracelet isn't good enough/ big enough/ shiny enough compared to others like I probably would a ring if that makes sense.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I thought of one more thing. Some of Tiffany's original designs (e.g. flowers, unique shapes) are beautiful and classic, and I've found that the knockoffs are not executed well. I own one Tiffany piece, and it was a design I grew up loving. My husband bought it for me for our first anniversary. The sentiment behind it is priceless.

My husband has pretty poor taste in jewelry, so while I would not buy something that is branded jewelry, I would prefer he go with branded jewelry so I don't end up with something that 1) I can't return and 2) I dislike. He does not have the motivation to get on PS and get educated either.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the allure of Tiffany's either speaks to you or it doesn't. It's clear there is a lot of emotion, symbolism, etc. tied up in those purchases. The wedding bands I have purchased from them are truly unlike any other in terms of make. You could have it recreated certainly but not with the same detail or feel on the finger. I've resold two for almost the amount paid; the name recognition made that possible.

Great value for the money? No, but then are luxuries ever great values? Depends on what you value I guess - some things are just priceless to the beholder. As Kenny says, people vary!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1361757726|3389568 said:
Thanks for the replies! I can't say I get it still, especially the blue box??? Wink sends a lovely wooden box. Whiteflash sent a lovely box and champaign and chocolates. But I'm gonna start a new thread on what DO you really covet?

I dunno, there's just something about it! I think I like my Tiffany boxes almost as much as the jewelry! :lol: People covet and love them so much that you can get good money for one if you sell it on ebay.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple sterling Tiffany pieces, but that's as far as I'll go with the brand. I think their designs are beautiful, and the allure of the blue box is strong, but I've been around enough to know it's mostly marketing. There is only one designer I've taken particular interest in since finding PS, and I have purchased 4 pieces total, but those purchases really weren't made on the basis of the name. I honestly just loved the style and hadn't seen similar done by anyone else.

I actually bought my Tiffany's pieces because I was so attracted to their style as well. I gifted myself a heart tag toggle bracelet for my 30th birthday. I'd seen my ex-sisters-in-law wearing them and I didn't even know they were T pieces at that point in time. I just saw them and thought I loved their chunky style and that that type of bracelet would look great with my watch I wore every day. My second (and last) piece was a key ring that I bought for myself to celebrate the purchase of a new vehicle after I divorced my first husband. I just wanted a nice treat. When I started a new job a couple years ago, one of the guys I worked with moved my car for me once and made a snide comment about my key ring being Tiffany. Many people look down upon it, unfortunately. Oh, well. ;))

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
So, I debated whether or not to answer this thread, as I do have a Tiffany e-ring. In my case, it wasn't really what I would have chosen, but I have to have it because it's what my hubby chose and getting something bigger/better quality was never as important as not hurting his feelings by saying I didn't 110% love the ring. I've never been secretive about that here.

pregcurious|1361761822|3389612 said:
My husband has pretty poor taste in jewelry, so while I would not buy something that is branded jewelry, I would prefer he go with branded jewelry so I don't end up with something that 1) I can't return and 2) I dislike. He does not have the motivation to get on PS and get educated either.

This is how I ended up with a Tiffany ring in the first place. He chose to go there because it was a "good" place and it made him feel comfortable. My DH has never researched anything in his life, so I wasn't overly surprised that he was willing to pay a premium for a branded piece.

I have really fallen in love with OECs and am planning to have a new "upgrade" ring made at some point. However, I will keep my original ring out of sentimental value. I have a couple other silver pendants from Tiffany that I've had for years and I think they're really cute, and not designs I've ever seen done well elsewhere. I don't actually wear them much anymore, but would love to give then to my hypothetical future daughter(s) when she (they) turns 13 or some other special milestone.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just a tiffany lover through and through. I know I can get bigger elsewhere, but I love the service, the ease of trying a bajillion things on and then just taking it home.

I own a TON of silver pieces and I even own a rubedo ring....I know I know...oh the horror!!!! It's metal not even GOLD! I get more compliments on the rubedo ring than anything else. My future e ring and wb will be from there too, and SO even found a T&Co wb that he wants.

I know it's not a popular choice around here, hence why I probs won't even make a STMB thread or anything when I do get engaged.
I think when it comes down to it, IMO it's a pretty dummy proof way to shop. It makes me happy, he likes to make me happy and I put up with his expensive watch habits...so i get blue boxes :Up_to_something:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
makemepretty|1361712160|3389175 said:
People on this board usually pay more for GIA diamonds than EGL, IGI etc. I don't see it as any different than someone paying more for Tiffany as opposed to Jared.

I do.

Getting a GIA diamond means it really is a F VVS2, vs an EGL F VVS2 in which you don't know what grades the diamond has and therefor what the price should be.

Getting a Tiffany ring means you may be paying more for more real quality but much of the higher price you are paying is for image and brand.
Getting something real vs. something imagined is quite different.

That said, there's nothing wrong with paying for something imagined if it's worth it to you.
Unlike a few above I don't hate a woman for saying, 'It's small but it's Tiffany."
More power to her.

Personally, I'd NEVER buy a Tiffany diamond ring.
But live and let live.
It makes some people happy.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have several Tiff silver pieces - all colored stones with the sole exception of one key. They have all been gifts, I even count the one I bought myself as a gift. I bought it the day after our wedding as a gift to myself to remember our trip by.

I love the designs of the items I have. It wasn't the lure of the mystical blue box (I have way too many of them and they are taking up valuable jewelry storage space!) or the Tiffany brand, I just liked the designs of the items.

I'd love to get a Tiff Swing ring, but no way could I justify that kind of price!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LoveLikeCrazy|1362196814|3394286 said:
I know it's not a popular choice around here, hence why I probs won't even make a STMB thread or anything when I do get engaged.

:errrr: WHY would you deny us the pleasure of looking at sparklies?!?!

I'm of the opinion that if YOU love (insert expensive luxury brand here) who cares if we don't like them??? As for me, do I want a Tiffany piece? SURE! Would I willingly go to Tiff's for their 3stone w/pears or go to BGD for a different version and larger center, HECK YEAH! :D

We all have different tastes, I am a yellow gold and round brilliant fan, so the princess/plat/wg versions aren't that appealing to me. Does this mean that there's something wrong with the sparklie or the one who loves it? No.

As was stated before on this thread and other places on this forum (by Kenny and those who've quoted him): People vary. :D

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
LoveLikeCrazy said:
I'm just a tiffany lover through and through. I know I can get bigger elsewhere, but I love the service, the ease of trying a bajillion things on and then just taking it home.

I own a TON of silver pieces and I even own a rubedo ring....I know I know...oh the horror!!!! It's metal not even GOLD! I get more compliments on the rubedo ring than anything else. My future e ring and wb will be from there too, and SO even found a T&Co wb that he wants.

I think when it comes down to it, IMO it's a pretty dummy proof way to shop. It makes me happy, he likes to make me happy and I put up with his expensive watch habits...so i get blue boxes :Up_to_something:
You HAVE to share it!!! Tiffany's makes lovely pieces and we don't get to see too much of it on SMTB. An engagement ring - heck, all jewelry! - is an emotional purchase. Buy what you love!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
With technology, I prefer to buy Apple products. They are overpriced. But I love how easy they make everything. And I love the packaging. I could easily do some research to find the best non-Apple computer for my needs and save 20%. But I'd rather spend my time doing other things. I have the money for Apple, it absolutely does what I want it to do, so, easy choice for me. I never look at my computer/iPhone/iPad and think "I really overpaid for that." I just enjoy using it. I think it's a similar situation. I adore jewelry, so doing the research to find the very best item for me at the best price point for me is part of the fun.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
haha, I LOVE looking at everyone's sparklies here as well! That's why I'm here! I don't have my sparklies yet but maybe when I do I'll rethink the SMTB thing :Up_to_something: I also can't wait to be in a place to start a project (poor college student here!!) and I can't wait to work with one of the vendors here.

TBH, I've even gotten some crappy responses from my friends and my SO's friends about wanting T&Co and it made me feel really crappy for a while. I know my friends were mostly jealousy, one has a 999$ Kay jeweler illusion ring...she originally wanted a Tacori and her bf got her THAT :errrr: My SO's friends are a little older and they all keep saying I'm stupid to get a name brand and I can get bigger elsewhere. I can appreciate that argument, but bigger doesn't matter to me. I don't want a craptastic stone though, so he will still have to do SOME work.

Ditto to everything Rosebloom said (apple fangirl here..!!!) This questioning can really parlay into much of the things people buy in life. Why name brand clothes? Why expensive watches when a Casio tells the time just as a Rolex? It's all into what people like and what makes them happy.

At the end of the day if your purchase is mind clean and you enjoy it, you've made the right choice for YOU and that's all that matters! :appl:

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I read a thread on another forum from a woman getting engaged that was unhappy with her Tiffany ring.
Basically the cut was deep. And this woman was clearly size sensitive. The customer service seemed adequate at best, but her reason for choosing Tiffany was so she would not have to do a lot of research and learn about diamonds. As someone said, she wanted to feel safe.
I felt she just did not do her due diligence as a consumer, but I sympathize with the desire to use a trusted vendor.
I would not buy a big diamond piece from Tiffany myself, but I have a few smaller bands, necklaces, and earrings that I enjoy. I think their craftsmanship is generally wonderful...and my spouse finds it easy to select items there....he's not a jewelry person.

I've also had the impression from my niece that she was scared to buy from anyone else for an e-ring.
I think her Tiffany SA somehow tapped into her fear of buying something worthless, inferior, or fake. But she loves her ring, and is very sentimental about that piece.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Harpertoo|1362242854|3394570 said:
I read a thread on another forum from a woman getting engaged that was unhappy with her Tiffany ring.
Basically the cut was deep. And this woman was clearly size sensitive. The customer service seemed adequate at best, but her reason for choosing Tiffany was so she would not have to do a lot of research and learn about diamonds. As someone said, she wanted to feel safe.
I felt she just did not do her due diligence as a consumer, but I sympathize with the desire to use a trusted vendor.
I would not buy a big diamond piece from Tiffany myself, but I have a few smaller bands, necklaces, and earrings that I enjoy. I think their craftsmanship is generally wonderful...and my spouse finds it easy to select items there....he's not a jewelry person.

I've also had the impression from my niece that she was scared to buy from anyone else for an e-ring.
I think her Tiffany SA somehow tapped into her fear of buying something worthless, inferior, or fake. But she loves her ring, and is very sentimental about that piece.

Like I mentioned before, some people like Tiffany because they think it's easy and foolproof so they don't bother to do their own research :read: ...luckily that is not the case with our posters here so I think if our posters here CHOOSE Tiffany's, it is with the full knowledge that they still know the basics of diamond buying and would not let the SAs take the wheel and make all the decisions for them on what is "best". For that reason, LoveLikeCrazy I hope you will still share your rings on SMTB!!! I don't think anyone would say at that point "you should have gone with the Vatche U113 and saved all your money for xxx" because that isn't the "spirit" of SMTB.

Freke I would also love the Swing but that price is unjustifiable!! Now if only the marquise sections were actually baby marquise stones, and not 2 RB... :naughty:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

GAH that thread. Talk about FWP. My diamond isn't bigger and better than my friend's! As someone who has been repeatedly trying to help that specific person, who you are correct, is clearly VERY size sensitive, and appears to also be very competitive with the specs rings of those around her...I hope she finds what she wants. I do think that their customer service was a fail in the respect of not explaining cut or anything to her whatsoever, and I think it's obnoxious how little detail they seem to be sharing with her (mind you, that's just based on her words and not fact). She seems to want something unrealistic for the budget she has to work with. She can either go down on color and get the size she desperately wants, or get color and not size, but she seems unwilling to move on that...it's...frustrating.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
AprilBaby thanks for starting this thread. I'm not drawn to Tiffany pieces myself so I have wondered occasionally what the mystique is about.

Having said that, I really hope you post your Tiffany piece LoveLikeCrazy! I would love to see it and I think it's a shame that more PSers don't post their Tiffany pieces. Who knows, maybe I'll convert to Tiffany!

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1362245761|3394595 said:

GAH that thread. Talk about FWP. My diamond isn't bigger and better than my friend's! As someone who has been repeatedly trying to help that specific person, who you are correct, is clearly VERY size sensitive, and appears to also be very competitive with the specs rings of those around her...I hope she finds what she wants. I do think that their customer service was a fail in the respect of not explaining cut or anything to her whatsoever, and I think it's obnoxious how little detail they seem to be sharing with her (mind you, that's just based on her words and not fact). She seems to want something unrealistic for the budget she has to work with. She can either go down on color and get the size she desperately wants, or get color and not size, but she seems unwilling to move on that...it's...frustrating.

You're so right! That situation seemed like a recipe for frustration! I admired your very helpful responses on that thread.
I just think a consumer really needs to understand and be clear about what they want & value to begin with....it was a little unclear to me if that OP had even done enough homework to be clear about what she wanted.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

now im interested on reading this thread....sounds like an interesting read! :Up_to_something:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harpertoo|1362246523|3394602 said:

You're so right! That situation seemed like a recipe for frustration! I admired your very helpful responses on that thread.
I just think a consumer really needs to understand and be clear about what they want & value to begin with....it was a little unclear to me if that OP had even done enough homework to be clear about what she wanted.
From what I can tell, the only homework she did was "what are the specs of my friends rings" and then do whatever it takes to exceed them within her budget, even if only by like 3 points in size. But I think she needed to be more clear to her fiance what she valued with this purchase besides the name recognition bec it's clear size wins over all, then color.

ANYWAY. That was offtopic a bit. And I am going to keep trying to help though I suspect we'll just see what we see when she comes back.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Some people need the emotional security of knowing they purchased a brand with a reputation. Some people need the recognition factor, like those who feel the need for Statement Bags.

Or, there are the people who simply prefer an iconic Tiffany design. Those designs have stood the test of time.

The only people who will either be inordinately impressed or judgmental about a Tiffany ring (or any other famous brand) are the people who can recognize those designs. That is a miniscule percentage of the population.

My personal preference is to not pay Tiffany prices for quality. It can be done. But to those who desire a specific hallmark, comparable stones and designs will not do. So, to each their own.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Harpertoo|1362246523|
I just think a consumer really needs to understand and be clear about what they want & value to begin with....it was a little unclear to me if that OP had even done enough homework to be clear about what she wanted.[/quote]

show me the thread... :bigsmile:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope Wherever you choose your ring, if you love it, you will share your beauty with us!!!!

Btw, the Apple comparison was a big help! I love apple products!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results