shape
carat
color
clarity

Can rubies be fissure filled even before they are cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I am asking this question as I recently saw a very inexpensive ruby being sold by a popular cutter. I asked if the ruby had been fissure filled, and he replied that it had been heated and that he cut the stone himself. Its about a half carat being sold for a little under $50. He seems like a really honest guy...any chance he''s been duped into buying filled rough? Or does filling occur only after a gem has been cut?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hmm...good question. I will be looking for answeres as well! I would assume not though cause fractures can happen deep in the rough.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 5:38:40 PM
Author:szh07
I am asking this question as I recently saw a very inexpensive ruby being sold by a popular cutter. I asked if the ruby had been fissure filled, and he replied that it had been heated and that he cut the stone himself. Its about a half carat being sold for a little under $50. He seems like a really honest guy...any chance he''s been duped into buying filled rough? Or does filling occur only after a gem has been cut?
Fracture-filling with lead glass is done prior to cutting. The rough is first preformed to remove any traces of matrix or other foreign material. For a good description of the treatment process see this report from the AIGS lab in Bangkok:

http://www.aigslaboratory.com/FieldTripsDetail.aspx?tID=41&type=Publications

By the way, we routinely see cut and polished fractured filled rubies being sold at about $30 a carat, even in larger sizes. So $50 for a half carat stone would be quite expensive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m too lazy to start a new thread so I’m going to add my question here for everyone. I also presume that emeralds are oiled and resin filled before cutting as well? I suppose a cutter will be able to tell that the emerald rough has been treated as such before he cuts?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morecarats - is it possible to fill after cutting also? The reason I ask is that I once purchased a very very very cheap Ruby that had been filled but according to the certificate only "at facet junctions". Bearing that in mind, one would assume filling after cutting????

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/12/2009 7:59:24 AM
Author: Chrono
I’m too lazy to start a new thread so I’m going to add my question here for everyone. I also presume that emeralds are oiled and resin filled before cutting as well? I suppose a cutter will be able to tell that the emerald rough has been treated as such before he cuts?
Some are filled prior, some after, really depends on how the cutter came across the stone and what type of filler. The traditional method of oiling a stone is typically done after cutting. As for if the cutter knows, some are knowledgeable, and some aren't. Higher end treatments, such as ExCel, are typically done after the gemstone is cut. With emeralds, 99% of stones are filled and it is unwise to assume you came across one that isn't unless it comes with a GIA, AGTA, or AGL lab report.

--Joshua

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/12/2009 8:12:37 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Morecarats - is it possible to fill after cutting also? The reason I ask is that I once purchased a very very very cheap Ruby that had been filled but according to the certificate only ''at facet junctions''. Bearing that in mind, one would assume filling after cutting????
Yes you can fill at any time in the process. What lab had that treatment listed like that?

--Joshua

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 7:59:24 AM
Author: Chrono
Most emeralds are treated with cedar oil before they are cut and polished. The cedar oil is thick sticky stuff and it requires heat and pressure to get it penetrate the microscopic cracks in emerald. Usually they do this in hydraulic containers with heat and pressure controls.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Morecarats - is it possible to fill after cutting also? The reason I ask is that I once purchased a very very very cheap Ruby that had been filled but according to the certificate only ''at facet junctions''. Bearing that in mind, one would assume filling after cutting????
If you read the the article I mentioned, the idea of selectively treating certain portions of a gemstone (''at facet junctions'' only) seems far-fetched.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2009 8:16:21 AM
Author: serenitydiamonds

Yes you can fill at any time in the process. What lab had that treatment listed like that?

--Joshua
I''ll see if I can find the Certificate. It was one in Thailand but they had only been asked to look at the Ruby specifically for treatment.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Morecarats and everyone else that has contributed!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results