shape
carat
color
clarity

Can one use .25 and .30 in an eternity band?

angiegra

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1436827504|3902412 said:
I concede that while this isn't the way I would do it, it's not my ring :)) .

OP, are you planning on putting the couple of mm of metal between the 0.25 and 0.30 and then have another area where the 0.25 and 0.30 are adjacent?

If so, I'm going to say it will look nicer to have the 0.30's on top with the 0.25's flanking the 0.30s on each side with the metal portion on the bottom of the shank (where it'll rest at your palm). I believe this is what VRB is describing as well. It will also rest nicer on your finger this way. BUT, this is my opinion only. It will also visually give you a little more wow, since at one point you said you're all for bigger diamonds!

Please post photos once your ring is completed and hand shots are always welcome :naughty: .

Thanks JDDN. Yes, your idea is a great one. Putting the spacer at the bottom is a good idea. This would make it more even.

Post some pics?????? I don't know if I could handle all you very, ( now how should I put it nicely), very passionate people here and heir comments......lol

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angie, your ring is going to be gorgeous and you will love it because you've spent so much time hand picking each stone and you must have a vision for what you want it to look like. I suppose some of us can be a little too critical at times and I want to sincerely apologize if I have come across as such. I think I can speak for most on PS in saying that we appreciate ALL jewelry whether it's our personal taste or not. Something I love about PS is the enthusiasm, positive energy, and genuine love of other's pieces.

With all that in mind, I am sure I will ooh and ahh over the finished product, so don't be shy!!!

angiegra

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1436842032|3902480 said:
Angie, your ring is going to be gorgeous and you will love it because you've spent so much time hand picking each stone and you must have a vision for what you want it to look like. I suppose some of us can be a little too critical at times and I want to sincerely apologize if I have come across as such. I think I can speak for most on PS in saying that we appreciate ALL jewelry whether it's our personal taste or not. Something I love about PS is the enthusiasm, positive energy, and genuine love of other's pieces.

With all that in mind, I am sure I will ooh and ahh over the finished product, so don't be shy!!!

No apologies necessary JDDN. You are so very sweet.
I will post some pics for sure. I am really hoping that it will look nice. I think it will. I really like your idea of putting the spacer in the center at the bottom is great.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Please post pics once your ring is completed. Or place the stones out in various patterns & get more input. People are truly trying to give you good advice to make your project easier on you or less expensive. However, you have some lovely certed stones already collected and your plan in place so I'm sure it will all come together perfectly for what you want. :dance: We will be happy to ooh & aah over the photos of your ring once it's finished! After all....it will have lots of pretty diamonds in it and this is a diamond forum! :naughty:

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Angie, what sort of setting (channel set, shared prong, u-prong, etc) are you planning? Apologies if this was already asked & answered but i think that would make a big difference!

I just saw my jeweler about a custom 5-stone and even though my diameters ranged from 4.10 to 4.51mm, he felt comfortable with a shared prong style. Now, the diameter difference is ultimately too substantial and bothersome for me to use that smallest stone, and I'm sticking with 4.35-4.51, but perhaps that's helpful. Or perhaps my jeweler is too optimistic, though I've loved custom work from him before.

angiegra

Rough_Rock
evergreen|1436925274|3902941 said:
Angie, what sort of setting (channel set, shared prong, u-prong, etc) are you planning? Apologies if this was already asked & answered but i think that would make a big difference!

I just saw my jeweler about a custom 5-stone and even though my diameters ranged from 4.10 to 4.51mm, he felt comfortable with a shared prong style. Now, the diameter difference is ultimately too substantial and bothersome for me to use that smallest stone, and I'm sticking with 4.35-4.51, but perhaps that's helpful. Or perhaps my jeweler is too optimistic, though I've loved custom work from him before.

Hi evergreen; No, have not been asked what setting I will be using, just told it was a really bad idea at the beginning but I'm seeing some optomistic posts recently about my choice to do my unusual eternity band.....lol

I plan on doing a shared prong setting, and my jeweler really doesn't have a problem with it. He said that the setting can be custom made, and I have seen a lot of graduated stones put in eternity bands too, so I think it won't be a problem. My measurement range is the same as yours.

So I'm going to go with 9 .30ct on top, flanked by 3 .25ct on each side with a spacer at the bottom for future sizing.

I wonder how I can figure out, how many stones I need. Anyone know how they do that.
My ring size is 6 3/4.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a reason you're jumping from 30 to 25 points? I think another poster had suggested, and I agree with, maybe a gradual transition. Like, 25-25-25-27-27-30-30-30-27-27-25-25-25. I bet it wouldn't look "tapered" but you may be more comfortable with smaller stones towards the side than stickin gwith a bunch of 30s. Plus, cheaper, for the same look? My ring size is 6.5 and five 4.3-ish-mm stones go about 36% of the way around my finger, i.e. cover the top of it without wedging in the between-finger area.

I'm going to borrow Brian Gavin's photos of basically the setting I discussed with my jeweler, since I didn't take any while I was there -- http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/wedding-and-anniversary-bands/eternity-bands/five-stone-shared-prong-18k-white-gold-5408w18

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing. :)

Your jeweler should help you choose how many stones are needed. But if you want to calculate it out yourself, roughly, you need to know the diameter of your ring size, and then add at least the pavilion depth of your deepest stone plus a millimeter or so to figure out what the circumference of the ring should be at the girdles of your diamonds (i.e., circumference is 2 * pi * radius, where radius is the radius of your 6.75 ring size plus the pavilion of your deepest stone plus about a mm of metal between them). Assuming the girdles are nearly touching, the "length" of diamonds you'll need, plus your intended sizing bar, should roughly equal that circumference. With this method, expect you may be short or over the number actually required -- a lot will change based on how closely the diamonds are set together, and how low-to-the-finger they are. But it's an acceptable approximation. (Also, the sizing bar will give you some wiggle room.) But, that said -- ask your jeweler so you don't vastly overbuy. :)

eta: diameter/circumference confusion -- trust me, it's still a confusing explanation but it's better when I use the right words :oops:

angiegra

Rough_Rock
The reason for the different size stones, is that I already purchased 6, .25 online and presenlty the prices of the .25ct are more expensive than the .30, and they don't have that many.

So in essence I would be making a larger ring, and the price would be less.

Thanks everygreen for the instructions on roughly calculating how many diamonds I need.
I have seen eternity bands with graduated stones. Mine will have two sections which are "graduated" and hopefully not that noticeable.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
angiegra|1437007088|3903350 said:
The reason for the different size stones, is that I already purchased 6, .25 online and presenlty the prices of the .25ct are more expensive than the .30, and they don't have that many.

So in essence I would be making a larger ring, and the price would be less.

Thanks everygreen for the instructions on roughly calculating how many diamonds I need.
I have seen eternity bands with graduated stones. Mine will have two sections which are "graduated" and hopefully not that noticeable.

This is the part we're all trying to warn you of, but that you are insistent on ignoring.

If you wanted a unique ring with a stepped size differential, and were perhaps planning to play it up (adding a coloured stone at each transition, etc.) because it's a deliberate aesthetic choice, you would receive nothing but enthusiastic ideas. However, given that it's pretty clear that the look you're going for is a simple, uninterrupted eternity, we're trying to tell you that mixing 0.25s and 0.3s is NOT going to give you what you want. No matter how much less it costs.

These baubles we indulge in are expensive - too expensive to "settle", and no one here wants to see another PSer settle for less than exactly what she wants when what she wants is very do-able!

Can you make a full eternity with 0.3s and use the 0.25s in another piece? Or hold off until more reasonably priced 0.25s come in? Or trade the 0.25s in with your jeweller for more 0.3s?

angiegra

Rough_Rock
Thanks Yssie for your advise.

I understand that they won't all be the same all the way around, but the very minimal difference in size, which will be at the bottom won't bother me.

Spoke to the jeweler who would be doing it, and I will be placing 9 .30 on top and flanked by 3 .25s on each side with a small sizing bar in the middle at the palm part of my hand.

They will custom make the setting and allow for the difference in measurement.

LydiaLY

Rough_Rock
Hi Angie,

Congrats on all your pretty diamonds! If you're still open to suggestions, maybe alternating a .30 with a .25 would be quite pretty. My engagement ring has the following approximate stone size (in this order) .25, .38, 1.0, .38, .25. I can vouch for the .38 and .25 looking quite nice next to each other. I'm not sure I would appreciate the look as much if it wasn't a sequence though (ex: .38, .25, .25, etc) as an eternity band. I find there is a visible difference between my .38s and my .25s. But that's my own personal taste. While on the subject of personal taste, most ppl recommended I get a plain wedding band to go with my e-ring. Benefit of the doubt I went to a jewellers and tried plain or melee diamond wedding bands and didn't like the look at all. My jeweller is currently in the process of making me two, one on either side, trellis set 5 stone diamond wedding bands (total carat weight 1.25 each) - I know, overdoing it huh? to go with my e-ring. I like my bling, what can I say and I'm willing to go against the grain because I'm confident I'll be 100% happy with it.

That being said, what's more important in the design that you are proposing is diamond diameter. Not all .25s, unless ideal cut, I assume, are the same diameter. Same goes for the .30s. Maybe the ones you have are cut in a way that makes the weight difference less noticeable to the naked eye?

Above all, it needs to be a piece that you enjoy and love so much you would want to wear it all the time! Generally speaking, unless you point out this difference to an observer while your ring is on your finger, ppl shouldn't notice it if the transition is well positioned. If you like it and feel 100% confident you won't regret your design choice later on than go for it! It is your precious after all :). Can't wait to see your ring!

angiegra

Rough_Rock
Thank you LydiaLY.

Your engagement ring is gorgeous

Love the setting. All the bling, wow.....

I agree with you that it will not be that noticeable to the naked eye, unless you really look closely.
I'm looking forward to putting it together. I have just purchased all the .30 pointers and hopefully soon I will have it done.

I have purchased 15 all together. 6 .25ct and 9 .30ct. Hopefully once I get all the measurements I will be able to see if they are enough. I think they should be enough for a 6 3/4 ring size. The jeweller will let me know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results