shape
carat
color
clarity

Can o'' Pumpkin - Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I picked up a couple cans of pumpkin while at the grocery store, thinking "mmmmm, pumpkin!" but now I don''t know what to do with it. The obvious is pumpkin pie, bars, or bread I suppose, but I was wondering if anyone had any variations on these or interesting fall dessert or savory/dinner recipes that call for a can or two of pumpkin. Please share if you do!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies!!!! I made these for a bake sale a few weeks ago, and they were a huge hit! Whoopie Pies are apparently very well known in Northern New England. These are really, really good!

PUMPKIN WHOOPIE PIES

Pumpkin Cake Ingredients:

3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups light brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 - 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (no spice added)

Filling Ingredients (from Erin Cooks below, this is the doubled recipe):

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 pinches salt
8 ounces cream cheese, chilled
2 cups confectioners’ sugar

Cake Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place oven rack in the center of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, and salt.
In the bowl of your electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment (can also use a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and pumpkin puree. Beat in the flour mixture just until incorporated. Drop heaping tablespoons (can also use a small ice cream scoop) of the batter onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. With moistened fingers or with the back of a spoon, smooth the tops of the cakes. (Note: I used a regular sized ice cream scoop, but filled it only about 2/3 full and then tried to shape as best I could with the back of a spoon.)
Bake for about 10 - 12 minutes or until the tops of the cookies, when lightly pressed, spring back. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. (Note: I had to bake for slightly longer than 12 minutes, maybe up to 15-16 minutes because I used more batter per cake than recipe calls for. I waited until the cakes sprung back when lightly pressed.)

Filling Instructions:
Using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter with the cream cheese. Add the confectioners’ sugar and the 4 pinches salt and 1 teaspoon vanilla; mix on low speed until blended, then beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.

To Assemble:
Take one cake and spread a heaping tablespoon (or more, there will be some filling left over) of the filling on the flat side of the cake. Top with another cake. The assembled cookies can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for several days. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Cake Recipe is from:
http://www.joyofbaking.com/PumpkinWhoopiePies.html#

Filling Recipe (doubled) is from:
http://erincooks.com/pumpkin-whoopie-pies/

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
You can get spice cake mix, add the pumpkin in place of the eggs and oil, and end up with some fab pumpkin muffins!

Or add to oatmeal and/or pancakes. Mmmm.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
A few years ago, I had a sample of pumpkin lasagna at Trader Joe''s, and it was YUMMY! I know it sounds weird, but it was a surprisingly good combo. I can''t find my copy of the recipe now, but I bet if you google pumpkin lasagna, you could find some version of it.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pumpkin soup. MMmmmmmmmm. (and VERY easy)

Pumpkin ravioli.

Pumpkin muffins. (essentially pumpkin bread in a muffin shape)

Pumpkin pudding. (pretty much just a pie without a crust. Gets a more cake-like texture -- but not really cake-like -- and is really yummy. My grandmother did hers in an oval baking dish. I prefer ramikins.)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pumpkin bread (I love it as much as banana bread)

I saw pumpkin chocolate chip cookies at the grocery store; I also so on allrecipes website a pumpkin chocolate chip recipe too!

Pumpkin pancakes, mmmmmmmm
3.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Mmmmm, these sound great!! Yanno, whoopie pies are big around here, but I've never had one! Maybe now is the time to try. :) I'm really feeling the pumpkin soup, though. DH and I have been doing Soup Thursdays, so I'm thinking it might be the winner for next week. Thanks for the ideas!!!

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
I love pumpkin whoopie pies
18.gif
! I make those or pumpkin bread with the canned pumpkin, and with the leftover pumpkin I usually make dog treats. Im not sure if you have pooches Elmorton, but if you do they will love them! All I do is mix equal parts pumpkin/oats with 1 egg and shape them into little bisquits. They go nuts!

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
My personal fav is a pumpkin roll. You make it in cookie sheet and when it''s cool you frost it with a cream cheese frosting and roll it up. if you google pumpkin roll you will find many many recipes for it. here is a pic though n the meantime. YUM!!!!!! YUM!!!!!

pumpkin-roll.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never got to try it, but the office was raving about a pumpkin cheesecake one of the providers made. I don''t have a recipe or anything tho, sorry!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pumpkin Baked Ziti! Just google it and you''ll see some recipes. Yum!

I also second Pumpkin cheesecake!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I''m making these sometime next week
***********************************************************************************

Mini Pecan Pumpkin Pies

Prep Time: 25 min Inactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time: 30 min Level:
Easy Serves:
2 dozen Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
For the dough:
1/4 cup pecans
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for shaping dough
6 tablespoons butter, ice cold
2 to 3 tablespoons ice cold water
For the filling:
1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup canned pumpkin filling
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup pecans, chopped plus 24 halves for garnish
Special equipment: 2 (12-cup) mini muffin tins
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray the bottoms and sides of the mini muffin tins with cooking spray.

For the dough:
In a food processor, pulse pecans with the sugar, salt, and flour, until the nuts are ground and the ingredients are combined. Add in butter and pulse until dough resembles coarse meal. Slowly pour in ice water through the feed tube, pulsing, until the dough comes together. Remove from processor bowl onto clean work surface sprinkled with flour.

Form dough into a ball and divide evenly into 24 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and evenly press into each cup, until the bottom is covered. If the dough is sticky, dip your finger in flour first.

Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until the crusts are very golden. Check periodically to make sure they don''t get too brown.

Meanwhile, make the filling: In a medium bowl, whisk the egg and yolk with the corn syrup, sugar, pumpkin filling and vanilla. Stir in the chopped pecans.

Remove dough from oven and spoon 1 tablespoon of the filling into each cup. Top each with 1 pretty pecan half. Return the pans to the oven and continue baking, for 12 to 15 minutes more, until the pumpkin filling is set. Allow to cool before removing from the pans.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Pumpkin bread & Pumpkin ravioli are def my fall faves....here's a quick bread recipe from an old textbook:

Quick Rum/Pumpkin Bread

1-2 cups golden raisins
3/4 cup dark rum

2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs, room temp
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups pumpkin puree
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds [optional, pecans are my fave]

http://www.cookingbread.com/articles/measurement.htmlPlace the golden raisins into a saucepan add the rum and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to sit in the rum for 60 minutes or until they absorb rum and look plump, remove raisins from the saucepan and discard the remaining liquid. Set raisins aside for later.
In a large bowl, whisk: Baking soda, Bpowder, salt, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, both sugars, eggs, oil, and puree. When mixture is well incorporated add the flour and stir with a spatula just till blended, add raisins and pumpkin seeds and stir a few times.Place mixture into 2 greased 9x5 loaf pans. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 60 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 180 -185F. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Place on a wire rack to cool.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
One of my favorites is pumpkin bread/muffins with chocolate chips. If you love pumpkin and chocolate separately, you need to give them a try together. Sadly I don''t have a recipe handy to give you.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I made pumpkin pancakes for the first time yesterday. They came out delicious, and were so easy to whip up this morning before work from the left over batter. (They also work well with canned sweet potato)

Ingredients

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 tablespoons brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 1 cup pumpkin puree
* 1 egg
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons vinegar

Directions

1. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt, stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

And for extra domestic goddessness: Heat 1 1/2 cups of frozen blackberries in a small sauce pan with 1/3 cup of maple syrup for an outrageous compote.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m in the process of making pumpkin-applesauce wholewheat muffins! The applesauce was home-made as well, we went apple picking recently. If they turn out any good, I''ll post my recipe up!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
You''re all making me hungry for pumpkin! I love pumpkin pie, and things like squash ravioli, but have never tried most of the things you''ve listed. Keep the recipes coming!

niccia

Shiny_Rock
I''d never heard of pumkin roll before, but after reading this I made a recipe off all recipes and it turned out wonderfully! My roll kind of broke after I put the frosting on, but it still looked nice and tasted great - just like carrot cake actually. There was no butter in the roll part, so I didn''t think it would work but I guess the pumkin helped.

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/1/2009 1:44:04 AM
Author: ladyciel
One of my favorites is pumpkin bread/muffins with chocolate chips. If you love pumpkin and chocolate separately, you need to give them a try together. Sadly I don''t have a recipe handy to give you.

I also love pumpkin bread with chocolate chips!! So yummy! Here is a recipe. It''s really yummy and vegan if you use vegan chocolate chips but since I''m not vegan, I just use regular chocolate chips.

I also stumbled on this pumpkin muffin recipe on Pioneer Woman''s blog. I think I may make it tomorrow, the pictures are making my mouth water!
18.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Elmorton, since you''re looking for savory, I''ll offer up this one:

Grilled Pumpkin Crab Cakes

1 pie pumpkin (about 4 pounds and 6 ¡± diameter)
1/2 pound premium canned crab claw meat
1/2 pound premium canned jumbo lump crab meat
2 poblano peppers
4 teaspoons finely-grated fresh ginger (about a 4¡å piece)
2 teaspoons finely-grated fresh lemon grass (about a 6 ¡± piece)
16 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 tablespoons finely chopped scallions (about 3 scallions)
Fresh zest of 1 lime, finely chopped
2 egg yolks, beaten
1/3 cup melted butter
1/4 cup mayonnaise (canola mayonnaise is preferred)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2/3 cup panko (Japanese crunchy bread crumbs) -plus about 1 cup for coating crab cakes
One red bell pepper cut to 1/4¡å dice
Optional - 1/2 teaspoon ground Galangal (similar in flavor to ginger, but more flowery and intense ¡ª also known as Laos powder )

Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Juice from 1/2 lime
1 chipotle chile from canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce

Directions
1. Preheat grill for cooking with two zones: one for direct grilling over high heat, and one for indirect grilling.
2. Scrub the outside of the pumpkin clean.
3. Cut the pumpkin in half and remove and discard the seeds and pulp.
4. Cut the pumpkin into roughly 2¡å squares (precision is not important).
5. Grill the pumpkin pieces over direct heat with the skin side down and the hood closed for approximately until the skin side is completely black, and the sides of the flesh are beginning to char (between 5 and 10 minutes).
6. Remove from the grill and let cool.
7. Use a knife to remove and discard the thin layer of burnt skin and then cut the roasted pumpkin pieces into a 1/4¡å to 1/2¡å dice.
8. Cut the poblanos in half lengthwise.
9. Discard the veins, seeds and stem.
10. Roast the poblanos, skin-side down with the hood closed, over direct heat for 1 or 2 minutes until the skins are black.
11. Remove from grill and let cool, wrapped in paper towels. When cool, use a knife to scrape off the burnt skin. Discard the skin and finely chop the peppers.
12. Drain the crab meat if necessary and place in a large mixing bowl. Pick over the crab to remove any pieces of shell.
13. Add the poblanos, red pepper, ginger, lemon grass, garlic, scallions, lime zest, egg yolks, melted butter, and mayonnaise (and optional Galangal).
14. Mix together with a spoon.
15. Add the bread crumbs and stir until well mixed.
16. Add 2/3 cup panko and stir only to slightly mix. Gently stir in 2 cups of the roasted pumpkin without crushing the pieces.
17. If the mixture is too dry for forming crab cakes, stir in a little more mayonnaise. If it is too moist, stir in more regular bread crumbs.
18. Fill a plate with some of the remaining panko.
19. Form one round ball of crab mixture at a time and compress with your hands to make firm. Roll each ball in the panko to thoroughly coat, and then flatten into a crab cake about 1¡å thick. Use your fingers to make sure the edges of each cake are well compressed and firm.
20. To make the sauce, combine the mayonnaise, lime juice, chopped chipotle and adobo in a bowl and whisk together.
21. Grill the crab cakes over direct heat for about 30 seconds per side to brown. Move to the indirect cooking zone and continue cooking with the hood down for about 12 minutes at 500 degrees (use longer indirect cooking times if you grill cannot achieve high-temperature indirect grilling).
22. Remove the crab cakes from the grill and drizzle with the chipotle mayonnaise sauce.
23. Serve with more sauce on the side and accompany with lime wedges.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, thanks Rachie! I was just about to go hunting for a recipe and now I don''t have to.
1.gif
And, not to thread-jack, but Rachie you need to get your butt over to Hangout - the MI/OH ladies are discussing a GTG for the near future.

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 11:16:04 PM
Author: ladyciel
Oooh, thanks Rachie! I was just about to go hunting for a recipe and now I don''t have to.
1.gif
And, not to thread-jack, but Rachie you need to get your butt over to Hangout - the MI/OH ladies are discussing a GTG for the near future.

Thanks for the heads up! I''m heading over there now!
1.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like making pumpkin bread pudding. I''ll have to find my recipe though....stay tuned...

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
For a quick breakfast, I just mix equal parts Vanilla yogurt and Canned pumpkin and add a little pumpkin pie spice. Quick, easy, and it tastes like the inside of a pumpkin pie!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
ricotta cheese, pumpkin, splenda and PP spice is a great low carb dessert too.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to pop in to say that I made that Pumpkin Baked Ziti last night...heavenly!

I added more pumpkin, chicken stock, and cream for the sauce, since a lot of reviews said it was too dry. It came out perfectly.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I just made my grandma''s pumpkin cookies for the first time.. YUM! I used pureed pumpkin but not cooked. I was surprised it worked!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results