shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I TRUST the jeweler???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

josephd05

Rough_Rock
Hello folks,

I purchased my center stone online and now need a setting created. My question is, how do I know the jeweler will not pull a switch-a-roo with my stone? I know a guy who said I should tell the jeweler I would need an appraisal done after the ring is made before I pay them in order to make sure everything is legit. I''m sure there''s a standard procedure for this. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You need to be familiar with YOUR diamond. YOU ought to be able to recognize it by the inclsuions or a laser inscription. If and when you decide to trust anyone, then get a written receip[t for the diamond you are leaving. A bench jeweler may not be qualified to clarity grade or color grade a diamond, but you already know about those factors. Get the jeweler to sketch a plot of the inclusions onto their receipt and to also acknowledge if there is a laer inscription. Get them to put the exact weight and measurements of the dimesnions of the diamond into the receipt, too.

Unless they are bad folks, you''ll get your diamond back without a problem. If there is a problem, then you have a receipt that does not match the diamond and you can make your case. A problem is rare, but can be prevented by being careful.

If you act suspicious, the jeweler will sense it and probably be as afraid of you as you are of him. DIstrust breeds return distrust. Be optimistic and careful, but don;t make an enemy out of the person who is going to work for you.

It is a balancing act.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Dave that was exactly what I was posting before I got booted off
29.gif
29.gif
Darn internet connection
14.gif

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Dave. Know your diamond! I spend a lot of time with my clients letting them ''visit'' their stone under my scope so they know the unique characteristics. No fooling someone knowledgeable! Cindy

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Some stores have styling events where they bring in settings. You can choose your setting and watch them set your stone - you might want to see if any stores near you are having an event like that or if any of them will let you watch them set your stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results