shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I trust the GIA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

qqfish

Rough_Rock
Hi, I recently bought a D diamond from NY''s diamond district. I am a bit worried that the stone I got is not what I paid for (around $20k). I''d like to get GIA to verify my stone, but am concerned that GIA may lose or switch my stone (I remember GIA''s scandle a few years ago, i.e., certifigate) during the 5 days I have to leave my stone and the original GIA certificate with them. What shall I do? Can I trust GIA to do this right?
33.gif

I want to first confirm that the diamond I bought is the diamond in the certificate and then I may get an appraiser to appraise the value. Can anyone recommend a reputable appraiser in New York City who can appraise on the spot for a reasonable fee? Many thanks in advance for any helpful advice.
21.gif

qqfish

Rough_Rock
Karl, thanks for the link. Do you think it is wise to go back to GIA to have it re-certified? Have you heard of any stories of GIA misplacing diamonds or switching the stones? Thanks again.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
As far as I know of, and I would considerable myself an informed source, the GIA has never switched a stone.

A couple of their employees might have been guilty of over-grading very large, very high end stones for very influential clients, but they were very quickly detected and eliminated.

I don''t think you have anything to worry about. I would send a $20,000 stone to GIA without even thinking twice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results