shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I trust an auctioned jewelry piece with a GIA report?

zedflying

Rough_Rock
I just won a bid of a vintage Blue Sapphire ring at EBTH. It comes with a GIA report (shown on the auction site). Since this is my first purchase from EHBT, I am a bit nervous. The stone is said to be unheated and originating from Sri Lanka in the GIA report. Can I trust it? Also, it's a ring, but in the GIA report, the item is described as a loose stone -- not sure how that is possible. Can anyone provide some insights and suggestions? My DH thinks I am crazy to buy something a few thousands worth off an auction site...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just won a bid of a vintage Blue Sapphire ring at EBTH. It comes with a GIA report (shown on the auction site). Since this is my first purchase from EHBT, I am a bit nervous. The stone is said to be unheated and originating from Sri Lanka in the GIA report. Can I trust it? Also, it's a ring, but in the GIA report, the item is described as a loose stone -- not sure how that is possible. Can anyone provide some insights and suggestions? My DH thinks I am crazy to buy something a few thousands worth off an auction site...

My guess is that the stone was loose when graded at GIA and then set prior to the auction. If it comes with a GIA report (different from an "appraisal from a GIA gemologist"), then yes I would think you can trust it.

zedflying

Rough_Rock
My guess is that the stone was loose when graded at GIA and then set prior to the auction. If it comes with a GIA report (different from an "appraisal from a GIA gemologist"), then yes I would think you can trust it.

Thanks for the prompt response. It is a GIA report that i can look up at GIA.edu as well. But since this is an old ring (from estate sales), is it normal to remove the gem first, does the assessment, and then remount it back? And it kind of surprised me that many jewelry pieces auctioned at EBTH that have GIA reports show the items as loose stones...

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the prompt response. It is a GIA report that i can look up at GIA.edu as well. But since this is an old ring (from estate sales), is it normal to remove the gem first, does the assessment, and then remount it back? And it kind of surprised me that many jewelry pieces auctioned at EBTH that have GIA reports show the items as loose stones...

Yes, this is quite common to do, as impounding the stone makes it easier to polish the facets or recut and make the gem look good as new again. I would just pay close attention to whether the loose stone in the GIA report looks similar to the stone in the mounted setting in the auction listing. Make sure they're sending you the physical GIA report, in case it's an eBay vendor that stole the image, and so had the GIA report done but "lost" the physical copy.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just pay close attention to whether the loose stone in the GIA report looks similar to the stone in the mounted setting in the auction listing. Make sure they're sending you the physical GIA report, in case it's an eBay vendor that stole the image, and so had the GIA report done but "lost" the physical copy.

+1 to this.

Never had trouble with this approach before when dealing with jewelers I knew. When I look now at EBTH (for the very first time), it mostly looks like "commercial-grade" jewelry. Congrats if you found an actual fine colored stone there!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results