shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I see pictures of different prong types?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cluelessL

Rough_Rock
I''m trying to decide on the type of prongs I want for my 1 ct. RB in a custom pave setting, similar to this Ritani one.
As of right now, I''m really liking the split/claw prongs, but I''d like to see pictures of my other options as well....especially flat prongs.

Thanks!
L

020980ritani.jpg

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade

cluelessL,

Hello! I''m not sure exactly what you mean by "flat prongs"? Can you explain?

Here are photo''s of a ring we did awhile back for someone who posts here on PS. She wanted double prongs at first, but the corners of the stone really didn''t lend themselves to that look so we came up with these stylized single prongs...

jx1.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its hard for me to choose pictures with prongs from my HD...I have so many.

I would just say to go into the Eye Candy thread in SMTR and start scrolling through. There are tons of types of prongs. Leon Mege and MWM have their trademark prongs, aka LM has his tiny finger split prongs and MWM has his heart shaped prongs.

I will say that when we first had our ring done the prongs were WAY too big for me. When I got my new stone from WF I had them really shave down the prongs so they are unobtrusive in regular viewing. The stone looks perfectly round. I love it.

I dislike large prongs, kind of similar to many of the Tacori styles, because I feel like it makes the stone look like it''s a different shape, so many of the large prongs give the stone a squarish shape..well if I wanted a SQUARE stone I''d have gotten one right?!
31.gif

So I''d also say go into a store and try on a bunch of different styles and designers of rings to get an idea for what type of prong look you like. For me it''s 99.9% about not seeing large prongs. But there are those one or two styles that look good with more visible prongs, aka the hearts etc.

Good luck!

cluelessL

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/26/2005 11:48:58 AM
Author: James Allen Schultz

cluelessL,

Hello! I''m not sure exactly what you mean by ''flat prongs''? Can you explain?

Here are photo''s of a ring we did awhile back for someone who posts here on PS. She wanted double prongs at first, but the corners of the stone really didn''t lend themselves to that look so we came up with these stylized single prongs...

Thanks Jim for that picture! I really like the prongs in the picture you posted...actually I like the entire ring!
I''m not really sure what the flat prongs are...someone had mentioned in another post that they were deciding between the double prongs or single flat prong, and that''s why I wanted to see pictures.
Perhaps this is what they meant?

18P18pearlmans.jpg

cluelessL

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/26/2005 12:12:54 PM
Author: Mara
Its hard for me to choose pictures with prongs from my HD...I have so many.

I would just say to go into the Eye Candy thread in SMTR and start scrolling through. There are tons of types of prongs. Leon Mege and MWM have their trademark prongs, aka LM has his tiny finger split prongs and MWM has his heart shaped prongs.

I will say that when we first had our ring done the prongs were WAY too big for me. When I got my new stone from WF I had them really shave down the prongs so they are unobtrusive in regular viewing. The stone looks perfectly round. I love it.

I dislike large prongs, kind of similar to many of the Tacori styles, because I feel like it makes the stone look like it''s a different shape, so many of the large prongs give the stone a squarish shape..well if I wanted a SQUARE stone I''d have gotten one right?!
31.gif

So I''d also say go into a store and try on a bunch of different styles and designers of rings to get an idea for what type of prong look you like. For me it''s 99.9% about not seeing large prongs. But there are those one or two styles that look good with more visible prongs, aka the hearts etc.

Good luck!
Thanks Mara-
I will go through the eye candy thread & see what I find. I completely agree with you about the large prongs changing the shape of the RB....i''m going for the same look as you mentioned - not seeing the prongs! I''d love to hear your suggestions for accomplishing this without sacrificing the safety of the stone....and pictures would be helpful as well
28.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's my rings with the modified smaller prongs...I will dig up a closeup professional shot and post it so you can see what they look like a bit magnified. This is more a 'real life' version. They are almost invisible in this shot though you can see them if you focus, in reality the stone looks almost perfectly round. In terms of safety, I have not had a problem with them in 2+ years since I had them shaved down...and I just get them checked every 6 months or so. The stone did become loose 2ce in the head so I just had the prongs tightened each time ASAP.

rings on side sparkle big J.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s a shot that shows my old H to my new J comparison, the prongs on the H were newly shaved down and they are even a tiny bit smaller on the new J..they managed to use the same head which I wanted.

So hope this helps!! I don''t know if I can find my old pre-shaving prongs but they may be posted on here somewhere!!

WF Diamonds Comparison H to J SideBySide b.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and I don''t really like that pearlman''s pic with the big chunky prongs...that''s an example of where I feel like the ring is fluid and stunning but then the head doesn''t seem to match at all. It''s a little pet peeve of mine that many times heads and prongs are entirely overlooked for customization.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2005 11:48:58 AM
Author: James Allen Schultz

cluelessL,

Hello! I''m not sure exactly what you mean by ''flat prongs''? Can you explain?

Jim was this Diamond Girl''s gorgeous ring?

Scintillating...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results