shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I do this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if it would be ok/ appropriate/ acceptable to ask a local jewelry store if they would match an internet vendor''s price? How likely is it for them to agree to this? Has anybody here done this and if so, what has been the reaction?

Thanks so much.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of course you can, don''t know if they will, but always good to try.
2.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
It sure can''t hurt to try, but maybe the whole thing will go a little easier if....

1) have all the details on what you''re looking to have them match price-wise, so they''re comparing apples to apples

2) be understanding of the concept that they have higher overhead & such, while stressing that you either value your relationship with them or look forward to establishing a long-term connection. They are looking for potential repeat sales & service opportunities.

3) give them a little flexibility in pricing if you''re really sincere about making a purchase from them

and just curious, but why not just buy from the on-line vendor? if it''s because you don''t want to make such a purchase over the internet just beware that some of your bargaining power has just disappeared- there is a reason B&M stuff sometimes costs more and the face-to-face sale has some value of its own to many people. The vendors who advertise on PS offer better value & relationship selling than most B&Ms , but I think the vendors here are the exception in the on-line world.

(just so you know where I''m coming from, in my line of sales work -non-diamond industry- I sell products that my customers can buy anywhere in the nation and many times get the same exact thing for less than what my company charges. What sets my product apart is the service/relationship/value we provide to our customers. When they ask me to sell to them strictly on price they aren''t taking what I as their rep bring to the equation. That''s a tough pill to swallow and often I have to walk away from those sales. Work with potential repeat customers on price alone and you will lose them to the next lowest bidder
8.gif
)

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto everything FFF said! Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Sure! Why not? The worse they can do is say "NO."

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Thank you fountainfairfax. I just discovered this site last week and I am more and more inclined now to purchase online. I was just afraid of not seeing and actually being able to hold the product before buying. I understand what you''re saying about having a relationship with whomever you do business with. Price is not the only factor.

Another question: Would the internet vendors be able to order a setting that they don''t carry? I''ve looked at whiteflash, goodasgold, and niceice and they don''t have the setting I want. It just seems that from what I''ve read here, most people buy a loose stone, buy a setting somewhere, and have another set the stone. Am I correct? I just want to be able to have one company do and be responsible for the whole work, I guess.

Thanks again.

molly3795

Rough_Rock
I, like you, fell into PS...I KNOW that you can do so much better on line...B&M places...are higher...with less selection. Once you find the diamond vendor to work with,(I have picked USACERTED because they send the diamond for an appraisal in your area and you CAN view it before paying for it) I will then have it set somewhere they are comfortable with...this is just my opinion...but i HAVE spent hours, hours,hours shopping for my diamond on line and now I feel confident with the process....good luck

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
I''m so glad that I found PS and ultimately WhiteFlash.

THe BMs just couldn''t compete.

Just be prepared for the BM store to make a face and say bad things about buying a diamond online.

We had a jeweler take my hand and look me in the eye and say "Promise. Promise me this one thing. That you will not buy your diamond over the internet"

Little did I listen to him!

How can all of this positive PS word of mouth be wrong??

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2005 8:03:01 PM
Author: rocks&purses

Another question: Would the internet vendors be able to order a setting that they don''t carry? I''ve looked at whiteflash, goodasgold, and niceice and they don''t have the setting I want. It just seems that from what I''ve read here, most people buy a loose stone, buy a setting somewhere, and have another set the stone. Am I correct? I just want to be able to have one company do and be responsible for the whole work, I guess.

Thanks again.

My preferance would be to buy the stone and setting at the same place too. the only way you can find out if they can get what you are looking for is to ask the vendor. Many companies and jewelers won''t set a stone you didn''t buy from them. it''s even harder to find someone to set your stone where you didn''t purchase either the stone or setting from them. i would suggest purchasing the setting you like and having it shipped to the vendor whom you purchase your stone or finding a place that can take care of the whole process in one step.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for everyone''s input. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results