shape
carat
color
clarity

Can diamonds be damaged?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Midnight00

Rough_Rock
I heard that if you lightly bang diamonds together, you can damage them. One jeweler (not mine) told me that if you put your diamond jewelery in a jewelry box, and they touch each other, that they can actually damage each other. I''m thinking about getting diamond studs, but I am worried about hitting my engagement ring against the earrings. This seems to happen alot with my czs, especially putting hats/scarves on during the winter. Any thoughts? He said something about diamonds being cut with other diamonds. Thanks!

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
Diamonds are the hardest thing known. They are not tough. They have perfect cleavage and if struck right can break. Jade is tougher than diamond. Diamonds will scrach each other. I don''t think that putting your hat on and having your ring hit the diamond is going to damage it. However if you take up karate take your ring off before you break a brick.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes diamonds can be damaged by contact with another diamond, some inclusions can threaten the integrity of the diamond, thin girdles and just being unlucky and hitting the diamond the wrong way can do it. Just take the normal precautions and you should be fine!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I always think of Laney (pricescope member) when the topic of breaking diamonds comes up. Her diamond actually broke when she slammed her hand in car door (did I get that right???) Whatever, alll I know is that her diamond actually BROKE!!!! When my friends ask why I dont wear my e-ring to work I respond with- " I dont want something to happen to it, I know someone who broke her diamond!!!!" Well, it is kind of true....
emwink.gif

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Yep...diamonds can definitely be damaged by another diamond.

But, don''t be afraid to wear them. Just make sure you have adequate (all risk) insurance.

It''s a crime to keep them in a jewellery box, in case of damage!

Enjoy!

Blod
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Dani, I was thinking of Lani''s rotten experience but couldn''t think of her name, appalling luck for her, but I am glad she was insured and able to get a lovely new diamond
30.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results