shape
carat
color
clarity

Can a diamond crack on the inside but not the outside?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newbride

Rough_Rock
My husband bought me a diamond ring that is a little over 1 kt. One day I accidently dropped my ring on the floor and my husband looked it over for any damages.

He said that it looks cracked on the inside and I thought that it always looked that way, I thought that it was just the way it was cut. It was $8000 but he paid half of that. My question is, is it possible for the diamond to only crack on the inside but not the outside? I took a needle and gently rubbed the diamond to see if it really is cracked but I feel no nicks or abrasions on the outside. Could this just be our eyes playing tricks on us?

Any help from the pros would be much appreciated!

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 3:15:39 AM
Author:newbride
My husband bought me a diamond ring that is a little over 1 kt. One day I accidently dropped my ring on the floor and my husband looked it over for any damages.

He said that it looks cracked on the inside and I thought that it always looked that way, I thought that it was just the way it was cut. It was $8000 but he paid half of that. My question is, is it possible for the diamond to only crack on the inside but not the outside? I took a needle and gently rubbed the diamond to see if it really is cracked but I feel no nicks or abrasions on the outside. Could this just be our eyes playing tricks on us?

I highly doubt that you "cracked" the diamond when you dropped it. It''s quite possible what you see is actually an inclusion. A feather inclusion maybe.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2007 3:46:56 AM
Author: CdnBlingGal

Date: 10/29/2007 3:15:39 AM
Author:newbride

I highly doubt that you ''cracked'' the diamond when you dropped it. It''s quite possible what you see is actually an inclusion. A feather inclusion maybe.
It is possibly an inclusion that you have noticed, as some can look like a crack on the inside such as feathers. I would look at the grading report, as the inclusion may be marked on the plotting diagram, if not, let a pro check it out. I don''t think you have anything to worry about as it sounds as if you know your diamond and it is something your Hubby just noticed. What clarity grade is the diamond?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would guess that it is either an inclusion or a girdle reflection. Where is the "crack"? Does it run east to west?

blueyes157

Shiny_Rock
Newbride, I had the same thing happen to me. 2 days after being engaged, I banged my hand hard on the wall and was of course freaking out that I ruined my new rock! Well, I saw a line in the inside and I knew it WAS NOT there before when we had bought the stone. So,we hoped in the car and went back to the jewlery store where we had gotten it to see what we could do about getting it replaced. Well the jeweler had the magnified images of the diamond on file, and low and behold it was a feather that was there before. They said if we were not happy that they would work with us to get a diamond we were happy with, because I do not remember seeing that feather before. They said it takes a pretty good hit to crack a diamond, but they are not indestructable, contrary to what many make think and that it will most likely not crack from the inside out. You will see damage on the outside.

Go back to your jeweler, most have the images on file, to at least give you piece of mind.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I would like to suggest that if you''ve not done so already, get it appraised by an independent appraiser (one who does not also sell jewelry!) and during that appraisal they will plot the stone so you can see where the inclusions are. It is always good to know your stone''s identifying markers so that when something like this happens you already know "yeah, that thing was there before..."

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I freaked when I saw my girdle reflection for the first time
32.gif
...(I was in the dressing room at the GAP, and looked in the mirror and YIKES!!! The caboose had gotten bigger. Oh, that's not the girdle we are talking about is it?) anyway....like your hubby... I knew I had internally cracked my stone.

In my case...my super spidey sense kicked in and was able to see through the diamonds beautiful outward reflection...that had blinded me previously. And that is how I saw that wiggly little stream across my stone (girdle reflection). I think I was so in love with the silly thing, that all I saw was beauty. Anyway that girdle reflection has bitten several posters before...and until everyone learns of it...they too thing it is broken cracked...flawed...even switched.

It has been more than once that someone believed after a cleaning or sizing that the jeweler either switched or damaged the stone. Go to a trusted jeweler and ask them to help you familiarize yourself with your stone. They will assure you that it isn't cracked...more than likely anyway
2.gif

DKS

newbride

Rough_Rock
Whew thanks for the piece of mind! My appraisal says;

"One ladies 14 karat yellow gold solitaire ring mount. Tapered wide solid thick pipe shank with highly polished finished. Complete with raised four claw white gold setting in center. Set with:

! round brilliant cut diamond
of approx 1.00 carat total weight
Clarity: I1 Average
Colour: H mounted

Weight: 6.6000 grams

And it was appraised at $8000.00"

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Well with an I1 stone you might be seeing an inclusion because they can be seen with the naked eye.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results