shape
carat
color
clarity

Camera Lens for Diamond Pics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Moko

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

What kind of lens do you use for your diamond pictures?
I see so many beautiful diamond pictures here and I am wondering which lens you are using. I have Canon Digital SLR camera, so I am thiking about buying EF-S60mm/F2.8 Macro USM lens. Some people say 100mm macro is better than 60mm macro for jewelry pictures because the object is so small.
Is there any recommendation? Thank you!!

P.S. If here is not the right forum for this kind of question, please move this post.
5.gif
Thank you.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What other types of pictures do you shoot and which lens do you have?
Which Canon SLR do you have?
The 100mm macro is a kicken macro lens and also works well as a med telephoto and for portraits.
The 100mm also works on the 5d and 1D series if you ever plan on moving up the 60mm dont.

Moko

Shiny_Rock
Hi Strmrdr,

Thank you for your quick reply!

My camera is EOS Digital Rebel XT and the lenses I currently have are:

EF85mm F1.8 USM for portrait
EF-S17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM for everyday, every occasion

I tried to take a picture of my E-ring using EFS17-85, but I was not able to take a close-up.
I tried both Program and AV mode but if I get too close to the ring, it looses focus.
So, I gave up.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
That's just an inherent limitation of the lens - no program mode will allow you to circumvent this.

Another option you might consider is a close-up filter such as the Canon 500D - it screws on the end of one of your other lenses and allows you to come in closer and still get focus.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
We have a Olympus and don''t use any special lens. The best way I take pictures is to use the macro mode and then after I download it to the computer, I crop it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2007 12:12:03 AM
Author: Moko
Hi Strmrdr,

Thank you for your quick reply!

My camera is EOS Digital Rebel XT and the lenses I currently have are:

EF85mm F1.8 USM for portrait
EF-S17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM for everyday, every occasion

I tried to take a picture of my E-ring using EFS17-85, but I was not able to take a close-up.
I tried both Program and AV mode but if I get too close to the ring, it looses focus.
So, I gave up.
before spending money try this f/11 on the 85mm at a distance of 34 inches then crop the image.
It should work for the web ok.
For printing you need the macro, hmmm you dont have a long lens have you considered the sigma 70-300 APO macro?
It would fill out your range with simular IQ too the 17-85 as well as good macros.

Otherwise replace the 17-85 with the sigma 17-70 macro. Which is what I would do the IQ is a lot better than the 17-85 and it works great for macro

edit: another option if you shot inside a lot would be the sigma 18-50 2.8 macro to replace the 17-85.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2007 12:30:14 AM
Author: oshinbreez
We have a Olympus and don''t use any special lens. The best way I take pictures is to use the macro mode and then after I download it to the computer, I crop it.
It''s a lot trickier on SLR''s due to their larger lenses. Point ''n shoots win out here.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2007 1:08:25 AM
Author: stebbo

Date: 10/3/2007 12:30:14 AM
Author: oshinbreez
It''s a lot trickier on SLR''s due to their larger lenses. Point ''n shoots win out here.
that they do...but for reasons more complicated than that...
which brings up another option a small pns for when you dont want too use the SLR.
The canon 570IS is sweet for $200

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2007 1:14:51 AM
Author: strmrdr
...but for reasons more complicated than that...
Like?

Moko

Shiny_Rock
Strmrdr, Stebbo and Oshinbreez,

Thank you so much for all of your advice.
Like you pointed out, due to the inherent limitation of the lenses, what I can do in current situation is taking a picture and crop or enlarge the image on PC. I think I will go for a close-up lens idea. It is the most economical way. According to my research, the Macro lens (just lens) is the most expensive choice!

EF-S60mm/F2.8 Macro USM lens is approx. $390
Canon PowerShot A570IS is approx. $172
Canon close-up lens is approx. $90

I asked one of my friends to take her diamond e-ring using by her Canon PowerShot. She reported me that she was able to take a very good picture without even trying. Maybe for shooting a tiny object like a ring, the Point 'n shoots camera works much better than SLR without a macro lens. Anyway I am not so crazy about shooting flower or insects; I decided not to spend $390 on only lens, in stead, just getting the close-up lens for try.

I think I got infected some contagious disease here in PS. My symptom is getting worse every day. First I just wanted to learn about some designer’s setting here. But I have been obsessed with diamond since I got here, I ordered a new diamond setting, bought a loupe & ideal scope, and now I want a new lens or a new camera to take a picture of diamonds. I hope the taking a picture thing is the last stage of the sickness besides purchasing more diamond jewelry.
41.gif

Thank you again for all your help!

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/5/2007 10:59:26 PM

Canon PowerShot A570IS is approx. $172
Canon close-up lens is approx. $90

For only $80 difference, I''d be mighty tempted to grab the point ''n shoot if you don''t do much other macro stuff and it won''t break the bank. They''re just so versatile--I must have 10 grand worth of SLR gear, but my little Canon point ''n shoot gets used just as much. No-one should be without a point ''n shoot!

Moko

Shiny_Rock
Hi Stebbo,

Thank you so much for your wise advice! After I read your post, I called Canon. The nice customer service lady also recommended PowerShot for my current need. She also recommended PowerShot over the Macro Lens for shooting a diamond ring.

According to her, the close-up lens will allow me to get closer to the ring when I shoot, but the e-ring will be still small in the photo. She said with the PowerShot A570IS, I can be much closer to the ring, and it has "the image stabilizer," so that it makes easier for me to shoot a tiny ring. But if I use EF-S60mm Macro, I may have to use a tripod, she said.

She said recent Point ''n shoots cameras work really well on Macro shooting, and which is actually much easier than dealing with SLR. Of course she did not forget to recommend PowerShot G9 and S5IS!! (Just FYI, with G9 we can shoot 1cm away from the object, and with S5IS 0cm away. But I am not going to spend $400 above!)

Anyway, you are right, Stebbo, I have read in somewhere, even National Geographic Photographers always carry their Point’n Shoot Cameras in their bags. So it is always nice to have those. Thank you again for your input, you really helped me out.
35.gif

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/7/2007 11:44:23 PM
Hi Stebbo,

Thank you so much for your wise advice! After I read your post, I called Canon. The nice customer service lady also recommended PowerShot for my current need. She also recommended PowerShot over the Macro Lens for shooting a diamond ring.

According to her, the close-up lens will allow me to get closer to the ring when I shoot, but the e-ring will be still small in the photo. She said with the PowerShot A570IS, I can be much closer to the ring, and it has 'the image stabilizer,' so that it makes easier for me to shoot a tiny ring. But if I use EF-S60mm Macro, I may have to use a tripod, she said.

She said recent Point 'n shoots cameras work really well on Macro shooting, and which is actually much easier than dealing with SLR. Of course she did not forget to recommend PowerShot G9 and S5IS!! (Just FYI, with G9 we can shoot 1cm away from the object, and with S5IS 0cm away. But I am not going to spend $400 above!)

Anyway, you are right, Stebbo, I have read in somewhere, even National Geographic Photographers always carry their Point’n Shoot Cameras in their bags. So it is always nice to have those. Thank you again for your input, you really helped me out.

35.gif

I'm glad it all worked out well, but it was Storm (and even Oshinbreez) that first suggested the Point 'n Shoot, so I can't take that credit!

It was spot-on advice from the rep re tripods too.

I'm pretty amazed by how close these newer point 'n shoots can focus--thanks for sharing. Might have to upgrade!

Moko

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 12:05:37 AM

but it was Storm (and even Oshinbreez) that first suggested the Point ''n Shoot,

Oh, that’s right!
Strmrdr, Oshinbreez, please forgive me for my rudeness!
I never thought about Point’n Shoot Camera as an option until you mentioned, but it seems that it’s the best!

Strmrdr Oshinbreez and Stebbo, thank you so much for your very useful information!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Point and shoot cameras work better with lenses like the ideal-scope - just leave it in normal (not macro) mode - zoom in and click.
Point and click are alson not big and black - small and silver is better - keep your hands out of the image - sometimes punching a hole in a sheet of white paper helps. Or put a donut of white cardboard on your big canon lens

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys made my mind up for me... I just bought the A 570 myself (litterally just logged on and bought one...lol). Wanted the SD750 but this one is just so affordable, and it really has more of what I want, and I don't need a super slim camera. Just in time for the new setting. Got it from Costco, like the return policy and extra memory card, plus the confidence in costco (and their 1 year warranty extention) to back it all up. Thanks!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 1:52:13 AM
Author: Gypsy
You guys made my mind up for me... I just bought the A 570 myself (litterally just logged on and bought one...lol). Wanted the SD750 but this one is just so affordable, and it really has more of what I want, and I don''t need a super slim camera. Just in time for the new setting. Got it from Costco, like the return policy and extra memory card, plus the confidence in costco (and their 1 year warranty extention) to back it all up. Thanks!
kewl you will love it.
Its a lot of camera for the money.
Im holding out for the s5is but that is just because I want the manual control.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 1:06:56 AM

Date: 10/8/2007 12:05:37 AM

but it was Storm (and even Oshinbreez) that first suggested the Point ''n Shoot,

Oh, that’s right!
Strmrdr, Oshinbreez, please forgive me for my rudeness!
I never thought about Point’n Shoot Camera as an option until you mentioned, but it seems that it’s the best!

Strmrdr Oshinbreez and Stebbo, thank you so much for your very useful information!
its kewl
just dont forget too share the pics! :}

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2007 2:14:18 AM

Like?
Warning this is deeeeeeeeeppppppp and hard too understand subject and an expert in the field would be sputtering at my over simplification going but but but but....

Tiny apertures and short lens.
The lens aperture is the ratio of focal length to effective aperture diameter.
The area that light goes thru at f/4 on a 100mm lens is bigger than many p&s camera lens.
Most p&s lens are actually 6mm to 24mm or so actual focal length.
So at f/4 a 24mm lens has an opening of 6mm
A 100mm lens at f/4 has an opening of 25mm which is longer than the focal length of the p&s lens, to get the opening as small as the p&s it would have to be at f/16 but still wouldn''t have the same dof due to other factors.

Simple way of putting it:
Now remember playing with pin hole focus as a kid where the smaller hole had a longer depth of field?
Yep same thing here....

Also the smaller the lens the flatter the actual internal "glass" is, a flatter lens can focus closer while maintaining infinity focus.
In camera lens design there is always a trade off of close focus and infinity focus which is why there are separate macro lens made.
Lens like the sigma 18-50 macro trade a small amount of long range focus ability for better short range ability but not as much as a dedicated 1:1 macro lens.

More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth-of-field and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture
and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_camera

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We employ the same camera you have, a Canon Rebel XT. I put a Sigma 50mm lens on it and it takes great jewelry shots. You need good lighting and a photostand or tripod. We use a rather high F stop to reduce light entering the lens along with long enough exposure to compensate. Using a fhigh F stop increases depth of field allowing more of the item to appear in focus properly. Canon also makes a 50mm lens which is about the same.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 5:52:38 AM

Date: 10/3/2007 2:14:18 AM

Like?
Warning this is deeeeeeeeeppppppp and hard too understand subject and an expert in the field would be sputtering at my over simplification going but but but but....

Tiny apertures and short lens.
The lens aperture is the ratio of focal length to effective aperture diameter.
The area that light goes thru at f/4 on a 100mm lens is bigger than many p&s camera lens.
Most p&s lens are actually 6mm to 24mm or so actual focal length.
So at f/4 a 24mm lens has an opening of 6mm
A 100mm lens at f/4 has an opening of 25mm which is longer than the focal length of the p&s lens, to get the opening as small as the p&s it would have to be at f/16 but still wouldn''t have the same dof due to other factors.

Simple way of putting it:
Now remember playing with pin hole focus as a kid where the smaller hole had a longer depth of field?
Yep same thing here....

Also the smaller the lens the flatter the actual internal ''glass'' is, a flatter lens can focus closer while maintaining infinity focus.
In camera lens design there is always a trade off of close focus and infinity focus which is why there are separate macro lens made.
Lens like the sigma 18-50 macro trade a small amount of long range focus ability for better short range ability but not as much as a dedicated 1:1 macro lens.
Which can be summarized as "larger lens"
2.gif

I choose my words very carefully before.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 1:38:31 PM

Which can be summarized as ''larger lens''
2.gif

but but but but
LOL ok....

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 1:49:15 PM

Date: 10/8/2007 1:38:31 PM

Which can be summarized as ''larger lens''
2.gif

but but but but
LOL ok....
1.gif

The ''silver'' issue Garry brought reminds me of a pet hate of Canon wildlife photographers - their bright white L lenses don''t camouflague too well. It''s not uncommon to see Canon guys shooting with Nikon lenses via adaptors, just because they''re black.

Moko

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for all of your help!

Wow, we are getting into the serious professional photography session here. Strmrdr and Stebbo, I learned a lot about lens mechanism. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. PS people are not only experts in jewelry, but also experts in photography!

Garry, thank you so much for the instruction how to take a picture with ideal-scope.
I wanted to have my diamond’s ideal-scope image in the picture and I was just wondering how to do it. Thank you very much! I never thought the black camera would cause a problem.

David, thank you so much for sharing the professional techniques using Canon Rebel XT. I love my Canon Rebel XT and I would like to try the macro lens sometimes in the future. I will try the way you explained to me when the time comes. I will make sure using the appropriate light setting.
I was told by the Canon lady that the soft light would be the best for diamond shooting. Probably the way you told me will do. right?
From my research I realized that many people love Sigma lens. Maybe I will try for a change.

Gypsy, could you please post your comment on using A570 when you have a chance? I am pretty sure I will go for PowerShot, but I still cannot make up my mind between A570 and S5IS. S5IS is more expensive but it has attractive features. One thing I don’t like about S5IS is its heavy weight and big size for a point’n shoot camera… And it’s black!! Hmmm….., I guess I may join the A570 club.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/10/2007 12:43:41 AM

Garry, thank you so much for the instruction how to take a picture with ideal-scope.
I wanted to have my diamond’s ideal-scope image in the picture and I was just wondering how to do it. Thank you very much! I never thought the black camera would cause a problem.
Did i give you this link Moko?
http://www.ideal-scope.com/newsletters_issue008.asp

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since you allready have a dslr a G9 would be a better option than the s5is if you want too step up from the 570is.
Or one of the SD series with IS if you want too go really small.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 12:43:41 AM
Thank you so much for all of your help!

David, thank you so much for sharing the professional techniques using Canon Rebel XT. I love my Canon Rebel XT and I would like to try the macro lens sometimes in the future. I will try the way you explained to me when the time comes. I will make sure using the appropriate light setting.
Heh if you feel like playing around with your Rebel and your two lenses, pop your 85mm on and then tape the 17-85 on to the end of it, but reversed. Like this:

stckd.jpg

Set the zoom to 17mm and you'll get close to a 5x magnification at the sensor.

Here's a shot from two of my lenses (neither are macro, no close-up lens either) with the 70-200mm attached @ 70mm, and the 17-35mm reversed @ 35mm

s70-35.jpg

And just for fun, here's the 70-200 @ 200mm and the 17-35mm at 17mm:

s200-17.jpg

For reference, that's a 0.73 carat diamond, 5.85mm diameter. Shots haven't been cropped either. That prong tip you see is about 1mm long.

The approximate magnification at the camera's sensor of the first image is around 2x, being 70mm/35mm. The second one is around 11x (200/17).

Set up some nice lighting, clean the diamond (!), take your time with focusing (depth of field is ridiculously small as you can see) and you'll get much better than these.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 6:49:08 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
That diamond is whispering:- clean me, please clean me
Is "I've been waiting for it to rain" acceptable?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 7:01:39 AM

Date: 10/10/2007 6:49:08 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
That diamond is whispering:- clean me, please clean me
Is ''I''ve been waiting for it to rain'' acceptable?
If it were still in the ground it would be.
11.gif

And you edited.
25.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results