shape
carat
color
clarity

Camcorder questions…low cost, low light, Sony or Canon (or even Panasonic)…a no brainer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Pricescope friends...

My wife and I are charged with getting a birthday gift for our 13 year old of a camcorder. Our budget is $180 - $250…because, by my reckoning…it can be. But while the range of choices in this price range is plain…

a) either the Canon ZR 850 or one of the newer 900s
b) either the Sony DCR HC 52 or one of the other newer or older ones
c) or the Panosonic PV GS 320 (because it, like the Canon, makes a couple of the CNET lists)

I am trying to understand why this isn’t a no brainer for the Sony, which used to frequently be recommended (and I’ve only used these personally), but now gets on no recommended lists at all.

Reading with some effort through camcorder forums, there is agreement that finding a camcorder that works well in low light can be both highly desired, and also, a challenge. Still…the Canon appears on everyone’s recommended lists, and yet, it’s described as being challenged by low light conditions.

But…the Sony’s continued use of infrared technology seems to deal with this very nicely, making the need for even an extra light unnecessary, and making viewing the captured images in low to no lighting a possible and even interesting process. I’m even told the newer models have modified the off coloration that has been associated with this process, to make the results even better. And yet…this is no ones first or even second choice on recommended lists.

I see I can get the Sony 52, and it will still do this (provide infrared technology). It even seems to come with stabilization functionality that is not present in the Canon.

Can anyone share with me why the Sony isn’t widely valued for its unique ability to work well in low light conditions? Why would someone choose the Canon (or Panasonic) over it, given the importance to most casual users of this desirable functionality?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Looks like I played stump the band with this one.

I second look at CNET, as well as engagement on their forum has pointed me to the less popular Panasonic, but with some trepidation.

Any words of caution or wisdom are welcome.

Regards,

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
Can''t comment directly on your choices, but I upgraded my old sony hi8 to a canon mini-dv (i think that''s the format) a couple years ago and am very happy with it. Like you I looked for the model with the best low-light performance. At the time that was the canon - I think my model is the optura - and I''m very happy with it.

Some time in the next year or two I''ll probably upgrade again to an HD model. Funny that I had my original Sony for 9 years, and the optura will probably get upgraded after 3. But after getting an HD TV over Christmas now I want to watch everything in HD!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Chiefneil,

We ended up with the Canon (following my earlier Canon purchase of a point & shoot, recommendations at CNET forums, and of the local dealer). Also, we figured that since we already have a family Sony, we can rely on that for the night/dark shots. Ended up with the 930, which allows for an external mike, too. After the fact, it''s looking like my HP Pavilion A 1644x comes with the port for fire wire, so my son can do editing...which has always been his plan.

My 13 year old is growing up, and I''m learning with him. Lots of fun!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results