shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Yssie - 16mm white south sea (and friends)

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Pearl lovers. I’m afraid I’m not very knowledgable at all about pearls but I do love them.

I recently bought an Art Deco style Pearl necklace but the Pearl quality is poor. I’d like to replace the Pearl with something better.

BBD2C02F-5B51-4121-8F72-D922531AB051.jpeg

I also have my eye on matching earrings and I want to replace a dud mabe Pearl in a brooch with a glorious 16mm upgrade.

So I’m ultimately looking for a 16mm, a 14mm and a pair of 10-12mm white / cream south seas.

I’m looking for as white as possible - I’d rather not have any obvious or strong overtones (pink etc) but could tolerate a slight creaminess.

They don’t have to be 100% round because they will all go in “cap” settings - which might help with the cost.

My only experience of buying pearls before was going through Takahashi - but that was just for a cheap Pearl stud pair for my daughter.

Is Takahashi the best option here, given I’m looking for good quality but also value for money (of course)? Or should I be going elsewhere?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i cant help you but i sure am excitted for you

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
The Pearl Society has large pearls at good prices. I've bought several things from them.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ionysis I believe most of the money you paid for the pendant in the photo went to the striking setting.

To find a pearl that would fit that setting, I believe one would need to find out how deep and perhaps how wide it is first, and suspect the existing pearl has a long "tail", if you know what I mean.

The existing pearl may need to be removed in order to confirm the dimensions etc...

DK :))

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
@Ionysis I believe most of the money you paid for the pendant in the photo went to the striking setting.

To find a pearl that would fit that setting, I believe one would need to find out how deep and perhaps how wide it is first, and suspect the existing pearl has a long "tail", if you know what I mean.

The existing pearl may need to be removed in order to confirm the dimensions etc...

I suspect you’re right. But that means I can’t wear it until I finish my Pearl procurement process (dammit). I might just have to suck it up.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Pearl Society has large pearls at good prices. I've bought several things from them.

Thanks - will check them out

Pearl Society has 2 shops on Etsy to also check out: ROLAY and ROLAYdesign.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! :wavey:

I would definitely agree with everyone else - you’ll want to unset to find out more about shape and size fit before buying replacements. You might have more (or less!) leeway than anticipated.

I don’t recall if you’re based in the US?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I laughed reading this actually - I was chatting with @pearlzaustralia on IG (she posts as katbran here on PS) and she mentioned she’d had a very similar search not too long ago! A client who wanted a WSS pair - high quality but minimal coloured overtone. Apparently it took pulling some strings to find this pair, but her client was very pleased - and then requested more of the same!

So perhaps reach out to her directly, since she found *exactly* what it sounds like you want pretty recently for someone else ::)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was lucky in bagging the mis-matched pearl drops from Takahashi recently, and am expecting to wait for a while before I find a pair each of well-matched Tahitian and WSS drops as I am very fussy about the shapes and matching.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I also have my eye on matching earrings and I want to replace a dud mabe Pearl in a brooch with a glorious 16mm upgrade.

So I’m ultimately looking for a 16mm, a 14mm and a pair of 10-12mm white / cream south seas.

If you want matching earrings and brooch, best to get the matching items at one go rather than separately. Shades of white are hard to match!

Does the current pearl fit perfectly into the setting? Any gap? If not then is probably stock 16mm setting. So long as the pearl is not really odd shaped it should fit. Are you in Dubai? If you can go to one of the jewelry shows you may be able to find the pearls yourself at the show. If not then yes probably easier to ask a vendor to search for you.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I laughed reading this actually - I was chatting with @pearlzaustralia on IG (she posts as katbran here on PS) and she mentioned she’d had a very similar search not too long ago! A client who wanted a WSS pair - high quality but minimal coloured overtone. Apparently it took pulling some strings to find this pair, but her client was very pleased - and then requested more of the same!

So perhaps reach out to her directly, since she found *exactly* what it sounds like you want pretty recently for someone else ::)

Thanks so much.

I’m in UAE so perhaps a bit more of a challenge. I will unset the necklace and the brooch. I definitely want to buy all together to get the same colour and quality. Obvious mismatches would drive me nuts.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
If you want matching earrings and brooch, best to get the matching items at one go rather than separately. Shades of white are hard to match!

Does the current pearl fit perfectly into the setting? Any gap? If not then is probably stock 16mm setting. So long as the pearl is not really odd shaped it should fit. Are you in Dubai? If you can go to one of the jewelry shows you may be able to find the pearls yourself at the show. If not then yes probably easier to ask a vendor to search for you.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Buy all at once.

My jeweller could source for me I’m sure but that is likely to be more expensive I think. I will ask him to pull some in perhaps and cross check pricing and quality.

Thanks all for your assistance.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What a gorgeous setting ! It's going to be interesting to see the pin placement . The pearl obviously doesn't sit flush with the setting.

Step one is to have your jeweller remove the pearl so you know exactly the setting you're dealing with and just what shape pearl you need. I would be nice to find something that sits in the setting a bit better.

I'm thinking that with that gap around the top that the solvent will be able to get in there and allow the pearl to release. Do keep us posted, this is interesting !

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous setting ! It's going to be interesting to see the pin placement . The pearl obviously doesn't sit flush with the setting.

Step one is to have your jeweller remove the pearl so you know exactly the setting you're dealing with and just what shape pearl you need. I would be nice to find something that sits in the setting a bit better.

I'm thinking that with that gap around the top that the solvent will be able to get in there and allow the pearl to release. Do keep us posted, this is interesting !

Thank you so much. I will take it in and get the pearl removed. It’s quite ugly up close to be honest and the setting definitely merits something nicer.

I will post a picture of the brooch too and you can see the ugly mabe as well!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results