shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Singapore Foodies!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I know a lot of you long for food from home... did you see the article in this week''s New Yorker about Singaporean cuisine? By Calvin Trillin himself? He says that ex-pat Singaporeans are the most culinarily homesick people in the world. I believe it too!

Here''s the abstract:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/09/03/070903fa_fact_trillin

I still have dreams about the wonderful things I ate when I was there.... mmmmm... so... good.
16.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
IG, what did you have? I''m biased, but I think Singapore has terrific food.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
We miss Singapore food even when we are travelling overseas! Nothing beats the food here in my opinion - there is variety, it''s clean and cheap! (Noticed I didn''t really mention healthy..
9.gif
). I think Singaporeans are the only ones that drive round the country (it helps that the country is tiny) to get to a popular restaurant or food store.

What did you have previously? I bet Singaporeans can tell you lots more that you have not tried and that are good too!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I miss Singaporean food so much!!! I''m a Singaporean living in Melbourne, and it''s really hard to find authentic Singaporean dishes here. It''s so cheap to eat out in Singapore, I stuff myself silly every time we go back.

What''s everyone''s favourite Singapore dish?

I love fried Hokkien noodles, Char Kway Teow and Chilli crab.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 12:38:16 AM
Author: wolftress
I miss Singaporean food so much!!! I''m a Singaporean living in Melbourne, and it''s really hard to find authentic Singaporean dishes here. It''s so cheap to eat out in Singapore, I stuff myself silly every time we go back.

Chilli Crab, Pepper Crab, Claypot Crab with noodles and Butter Crab from this eating place known as Mellben!
Chicken Rice
Prawn Noodles
Kway Chap
Char Kway Teow
Chai Tow Kway
All the different types of Nonya kuehs (steam cakes) and Peranakan food
All the different types of Teochew kuehs
Teochew fish soup
Steamboat
Beef noodles
Roasted Duck
All sorts of Dim Sum
Barbeque chicken wings (Singapore Style)
Satay
Malay dishes such as Mee Rebus and Mee Soto
Nasi Padang with beef rendang, curry chicken and curry vegetables
Grilled Stingray and Grilled squids with sambal chilli
Indian food such as Roti Prata, Roti John and Mee Goreng
and so much more!

I am salivating as I am typing this post!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 2:02:09 AM
Author: simplysplendid

Chilli Crab, Pepper Crab, Claypot Crab with noodles and Butter Crab from this eating place known as Mellben!
Chicken Rice
Prawn Noodles
Kway Chap
Char Kway Teow
Chai Tow Kway
Teochew fish soup
Steamboat
Beef noodles
Roasted Duck
All sorts of Dim Sum
Satay
and so much more!

Oh my goodness, my stomach is rumbling!! Have you heard of Har Cheong Gai? It''s chicken marinated in prawn paste and deep fried. KFC has NOTHING on it!!! The chicken is delicious, salty, prawny, spicy goodness and just melts in your mouth.

I am really missing Indian Mee Goreng. There are one or two places in Melbourne that do a good version of it, but it''s just not as yummy as the Singaporean version.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Wolftress, oh yes.. and Gim Gok Gai and Kam Long Gai...yum yum..

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Well, I've no idea what HALF the stuff I ate was actually called! I just know I was in heaven. I'd go to a stall and say 'Give me something tasty!' Two things I absolutely loved that I DO remember the names of were roti prata, which I could eat all day, and Laksa which I got addicted to when I was staying in Malaka, and then kept eating in Singapore. I still don't know what's actually in Laksa, but I decided not to look too closely, and just to enjoy. That stuff is in my top ten foods of ever! So yummy that my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 2:02:09 AM
Author: simplysplendid

Chicken Rice

Prawn Noodles

Kway Chap

Char Kway Teow

Chai Tow Kway

Teochew fish soup

Steamboat

Beef noodles

Roasted Duck

All sorts of Dim Sum

Satay

and so much more!

Holy cow that made me so hungry. I''m not Singaporean but I lived there for 4 years and was completely spoiled by all the food...moving back to the States for college was the most depressing thing that''s happened in my life, food-wise. I miss it so much
39.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Indy Gal, I think laksa is a coconut based spicy broth with (this could be insanely wrong) dried shrimp to flavour the soup. I used to tell hear crazy things like hawkers used worms or used bandaids to flavour the soup... but I refuse to believe it
6.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
But Wolftress, what were all those weird (if tasty!) things floating in it?!?
23.gif
In the Malaka version, was able to identify what I thought were fish balls and what I thought might be friend tofu... but beyond that... I was lost.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 8:18:12 PM
Author: Independent Gal
But Wolftress, what were all those weird (if tasty!) things floating in it?!?
23.gif
In the Malaka version, was able to identify what I thought were fish balls and what I thought might be friend tofu... but beyond that... I was lost.
I think you''re referring to ''tao pok'' or deep fried tofu. It''s very absorbent and with each juicy bite comes a lovely squirt of laksa gravy! Or maybe you''re referring to sliced fishcake? It''s white, chewy and springy.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I''m pretty sure there were both those things! (The yumminess probably accounts for the ''friend tofu'' rather than ''fried tofu'' typo! mmmm... friend tofu).

There was some other stuff too. maybe some other kinds of fish balls? Are there sometimes multiple kinds?

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 8:50:51 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Yes, I''m pretty sure there were both those things! (The yumminess probably accounts for the ''friend tofu'' rather than ''fried tofu'' typo! mmmm... friend tofu).

There was some other stuff too. maybe some other kinds of fish balls? Are there sometimes multiple kinds?
Mmm.. gimme some of that friend tofu!

There are so many types of fishballs... my mum is the fishball queen. She makes homemade broths to go with the different types. Some are made with specific types of fish, others are stuffed with yummy goodies like pork mince or fish roe. There are also cuttlefish balls and prawn balls, just to name a few!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please stop torturing me!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 10:03:41 PM
Author: DiaDiva
Torture yourselves some more and check out the food reviews in http://www.hungrygowhere.com/index.php!

Enjoy....
Ahhh... I am counting down the days till I can go back to Sg and stuff myself silly!

Has anyone tried cooking authentic Singapore hawker food at home? I''ve tried cooking fried prawn Hokkien noodles and Char Kway Teow. Both were ok, but not quite the same.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results