shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling PS World Travelers and Jet Setters!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
As every year, my dad has offered me airmiles for my birthday to go wherever I want. We had been planning to go trekking together with my sister, but that's fallen through. So, I'm off on my own (FI will be visiting his folks, but I LOVE traveling alone, so no big deal).

The catch is, as I've mentioned a few times, I am B-R-O-K-E from the condo-crisis. So, I need ideas of places to go that will be very cool and exciting, but where the day-to-day cost of traveling around won't too much exceed what it would cost me to hang out in the US day-to-day.

The only other restrictions: I don't want to go anywhere in North America or Europe, or anywhere with an active violent conflict (duh).

Some ideas I've been toying with: Sri Lanka? Chile?

Anyone been to these places? Other ideas?

ETA: This will be in December, so you can take into account any monsoon or other weather related caveats.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I''d love to help you out, m''dear, but I haven''t been to either of those countries yet. And, just to be sure--I haven''t used airmiles before, and it sounds like you have, so you probably know more than I do about what I''m going to say, but I do know that airfare jumps up in price the two weeks prior to Christmas and stays up through the two or three weeks after. You probably already know this, but in case not, I thought I''d mention it, since I was going to fly to Iceland for New Year''s a few years ago until I realized that the airfare tripled! Blarg.

So...yeah. I''m basically no help at all.
15.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Luckily, my dad has super-supreme-platinum-superior-superstar status with his airline, on account of he''s jetting around the world for his job several times a month, practically. That means his miles can be used for any seat on any plane of his airline or their partners, so it should be ok!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mumbai? You are a savvy traveler so you might enjoy that (it''s on the top of my list)

Or...New Zealand!

Buenos Aires?

Check out Macchu Picchu in Peru?

Costa Rica?

Turkey?

Of course, for TGuy I''d have to say, what about Australia?

(Can you tell I''ve been thinking about my "list" lately?)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine has just come back from Bali and said it was amazing and supercheap.

He bought 4 bespoke suits (which are beautiful) for $80 each.

The 5* hotel they stayed in was $100 a night between them for a suite.

They had lobster and seafood for less than $20 a head...

I am so going there!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora: do you have more info on the hotels there.What you described sounds really good...Thanks
IG:Is Mexico on your agenda?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2007 6:07:56 PM
Author: Pandora II
A friend of mine has just come back from Bali and said it was amazing and supercheap.

He bought 4 bespoke suits (which are beautiful) for $80 each.

The 5* hotel they stayed in was $100 a night between them for a suite.

They had lobster and seafood for less than $20 a head...

I am so going there!
Just don''t bring any pot there (not that I think you would) and lock your bags if you''re flying Qantas.
41.gif

poppie

Rough_Rock
Hi IG
35.gif

Have you considered Goa? I have been several times and love it there - people are amazing, lovely weather (november-april is the time to go) and so much to see and do. More importantly, very little spending money would be needed. You can eat at the local beach shacks for around $4 - $8 and have a feast! Lovely local curries and lots of freshly caught fish, mmmm.

Would be glad to tell you more if its on your wishlist,

Poppie

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''ll ask my friend and get back tomorrow - google should have some good ideas...

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Pandora..

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Oh, one of my old roommates went to Guatemala herself and did an awesome tour of the Mayan ruins. I have no idea how expensive or not it is, but I looooooove ruins and definitely want to go there one day!

I also have Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe/Zambia on my list, but that''s something so magnificent that you''d probably want to go with your honey. If jaw-dropping waterfalls are your thing.
1.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thanks guys!

I think Australia and NZ would be too pricey for now. I''d love to go trekking in NZ sometime, so I think I''ll save that for when I''m a little more flush.

I''ve spent a tonne of time in S.E. Asia, and always love it there. But I think I have to save the next Indonesia trip for FI since he''s itching to see Borobodur, the huge temple ruin on Java, same goes for Macchu Pichu. But I was thinking about Ecuador... anyone ever been there? I heard Quito''s a pit, but what about the countryside?

Anyone been to Panama?

Turkey is always GREAT! I love it there. Fab food. Fab architecture. Fab landscapes. Maybe going back there''s an idea, because it''s somewhat familar already so would be hassle free.

Poppie: I was just thinking about Goa and love that possibility... I''m actually surprised that it costs $4-8 for a feast there! You can have an Indian feast for that much in Toronto. I would have thought it would be even cheaper. Did you find it really touristy there? That''s the only thing that would hold me back. I love that feeling of being lost when I travel, which is hard to achieve when there are swarms of other holiday makers around.

Scarleta: My mom has decided that FI and I are going to Mexico for our honeymoon (long story!). Neither of us has ever been there and all our friends say it''s great, so we''re going along with it. I''d love to see Oaxaca, but I think we''re going somewhere beachy. Neither of us are beach people. OK, now I''m actually wondering how we got talked into this. Maybe it will do us good to go somewhere beachy and just chill... Also, in terms of cheap hotels in S.E. Asia, I stayed at the Westin Grand (and BOY was it GRAND!) in Bangkok once for about $100 a night. I mean, swank-o-rama. Or if you go to Ha Noi, for instance, you can dine at the very finest place in town and have three courses and wine for about $8.

OK, so now we''ve got: Turkey, Goa, Sri Lanka, Ecuador, Costa Rica, and Chile as possibilities.... Yay!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Gwendolyn Zimbabwe is probably not such a hot plan at the moment. 7000% inflation, food shortages, and a nutter racist dictator = not a fun holiday.
28.gif

But I'd love to visit Zambia sometime. My parents lived there for several years, but before I was born.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
what about Morocco? I''ve always wanted to go there too...

Vietnam is on the very very top of my list. I''d love to go there with my cousin and her hubby, as he is vietnamese.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
OOOOH Morocco! I've never been there, but FI's spent a lot of time there and loved it. He was once attacked in Tunisia so has sort of gone off North Africa, so that's a good place for me to go without him. Anyone know if it's easy for a woman alone (if you're modest and reasonably cautious of course).

Hey where is Rainbow Trout? Is she in Morocco?

Viet Nam is CRAZY awesome. It's in my top five favourite places.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
We''ve just come back from Hong Kong and Vietnam and if you''re short on money then I recommend Vietnam. It''s a wonderful place and there''s something to suit every type of traveller. The locals were extremely friendly and no matter where we went, we felt completely safe.

And it''s so cheap too. You don''t even have to change US currency. We saw so many Americans handing over the US dollar when shopping and dining.

I would definitely go back to Vietnam for a holiday.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I''ve spent quite a bit of time in Viet Nam and looooove it. Glad you had a good time there too!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve heard very good things about the Dominican Republic. A friend of mine is from there and he of course loves to visit. Another friend just went a few months ago and loved it, too.

Also Costa Rica-it''s apparently awesome and crazy cheap. My friend went there last year for around 10 days and her entire trip was under $800, including airfare and tons of fun activities!

My parents just got back from Costa Rica about 2 weeks ago and they liked it a lot, too, although they didn''t go the cheap route, so I don''t have much advice there. Costa Rica''s definitely on my short list, though!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''re taking a cruise down the Amazon River in November. Costs an arm & a leg to get there but meals, ground transport, boat ride, hotel, & excursions into the rain forest are included in the fee which I think is about $2500 per person.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about China? The people are super nice, accomodations and meals are very cheap, and there is a ton of stuff to do. We went in January one year and while the weather wasn''t the warmest around it certainly was more than bearable.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
What about Malaysia? There''s something there for everyone - you can go shopping in Kuala Lumpur or if you''re feeling more adventurous, you could go to Kuching or Malacca. You''d get a great exchange rate for the ringgit too!

Bali''s another nice place, but I think it''s a little too touristy.

China''s great, although my sister got terrible food poisoning when we were there, so do be careful about where you eat if you have a weak stomach. I can thoroughly recommend Shanghai. We had a great time there, and it didn''t cost an arm and a leg.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Actually, Malaysia was part of last year''s trip. I spent a full week in Malacca. Absolutely loved it. Great food. Very chilled out. Then I went jungle trekking in the Cameron Highlands, then north east near the border with Thailand (very weird and hyper conservative up there) and back south on the ''jungle railway''. Great trip! (Can''t say I loved KL, though
40.gif
)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I 3rd or 4th Costa Rica, haven''t had the pleasure myself but have friends and relatives who''ve been there and just loved it. Jamaica can be pretty cost-saving as well...just do your research and stay away from the crime-ridden areas. The Dominican Republic is a popular honeymoon choice around where we live because it''s relatively cheap but again be careful...

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Well everyone, it looks like Peru might be our winner. I was almost set on Costa Rica but was talked out of it by a friend of mine who has spent years living and traveling in South and Central America. She said that Peru is much cheaper, more culturally varied, and there are fewer mosquitos!

And I think I''m set on going due South at this point, because given the amount of half-way-across-the-world traveling I''m going to be doing this year, I could use one less jet lag trauma.

Best part is, one of my bridesmaids thinks she can come with me! Yay!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! Congratulations on reaching a decision. Are you excited?
1.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2007 7:05:32 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Gwendolyn Zimbabwe is probably not such a hot plan at the moment. 7000% inflation, food shortages, and a nutter racist dictator = not a fun holiday.
28.gif
*strokes chin* You may be on to something there....
3.gif

(This is what happens when I see pretty and don''t pay attention to anything else. Not good!)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear Peru is probably winning. That was going to be my suggestion. :)

I''m so jealous. That sounds like an amazing birthday present. I got something similar for mine ($250 for Southwest) so I''m having fun dreaming about where I can go. Having a blank cheque to get anywhere in the world is my dream present.
30.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I have to say, for someone with such itchy feet as I have, I am very lucky to have a dad with an endless supply of airmiles. An airmiles ticket has been my bday present every year since my dad got this job about 6 years ago... with the exception of last year when I had to fly to Singapore for work anyway, and just took a holiday from there. So last year dad gave me a short string of HUGE bubblegum pearls with matching earrings, and a little blue cashmere sweater... I am SO not a pearl and cashmere sweater girl, but those about converted me!

He doesn't even notice the miles, so it's nothing to him, but it's GREAT for me. But sooner or later, my dad's going to retire and the airmiles fun is going to stop. So I mayswell enjoy it while I can!
3.gif
The key thing with being spoiled with something is to really appreciate it and not take it for granted. Feeling lucky enhances the pleasure, while feeling entitled makes you into a Shmo.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Gwendolyn: Haha. I know, it''s hard to keep up. We subscribe to the Economist and I try to at least read their 2 page ''quick update'' every week, but it''s hard! Too many weeklies, too much PS! not enough time.

But yeah, Mugabe, not my favourite guy.

Funny thing about violent conflicts and local craziness though, I have a lot of friends who just ignore it and go wherever. I have a friend living in Kabul at the moment (mind you, she works for one of the armies stationed there). I have another friend - actually the one who said ''Peru!'' who lived in Uganda and then in Haiti for ages. Apparently, you just sort of get used to it.
40.gif

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/15/2007 11:11:48 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Yeah, I have to say, for someone with such itchy feet as I have, I am very lucky to have a dad with an endless supply of airmiles. An airmiles ticket has been my bday present every year since my dad got this job about 6 years ago... with the exception of last year when I had to fly to Singapore for work anyway, and just took a holiday from there. So last year dad gave me a short string of HUGE bubblegum pearls with matching earrings, and a little blue cashmere sweater... I am SO not a pearl and cashmere sweater girl, but those about converted me!

He doesn''t even notice the miles, so it''s nothing to him, but it''s GREAT for me. But sooner or later, my dad''s going to retire and the airmiles fun is going to stop. So I mayswell enjoy it while I can!
3.gif
The key thing with being spoiled with something is to really appreciate it and not take it for granted. Feeling lucky enhances the pleasure, while feeling entitled makes you into a Shmo.
Independant Gal,

What is your dad''s job? Curious. My husband is looking for a position right now. Through a series of unfortunate events not related to his skills and capabilities he needs to find a job in a high level managerial position. He has a MBA from Notre Dame, a ton of experience but the higher up one goes in management it seems the harder it is to find another job. I am totally stressing about it! So I''m always curious to hear about what other people do.

What a WONDERFUL present and how lucky you are to be so well travelled.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results