shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling NY_resonant and Yssie (miki vs T)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this has been discussed to death and I really don't want to start an argument about mikimoto vs Takahashi. However, I'm wondering if anyone took comparison pics of a gem quality T strand vs Miki A+? I know @NY_Resonant has amazing pics of T versus miki AA and AAA, but I don't think I've seen any comparison pics between T and Miki A+.

Long story short: I might be able to buy a miki A+ strand pre loved, but want to ask about the quality vs T before I spend 3.5k (ish).

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately I don’t have any information on this one… @yssie, do you know if Mikimoto always used A+ pearls on their regular jewelry? If so, I imagine someone on this forum that bought Takahashi gems may have a regular jewelry piece from Mikimoto with an A+ pearl to compare?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I don’t have any information on this one… @yssie, do you know if Mikimoto always used A+ pearls on their regular jewelry? If so, I imagine someone on this forum that bought Takahashi gems may have a regular jewelry piece from Mikimoto with an A+ pearl to compare?

Ahhh gotcha. For some reason I thought miki used A on their regular pieces, but it's totally possible I'm wrong.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, what @NY_Resonant said - A+ is the standard for their jewellery

From when both pieces were basically new - smaller pearls are Miki A+, larger are Moline gems

1708991267728.png 1708991353228.png

Just looking at luster alone, if you can ignore colour - Takahashi gem will get you between AA and AAA -

1708991379524.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

From when both pieces were basically new - smaller pearls are Miki A+, larger are Moline gems

Just looking at luster alone, if you can ignore colour - Takahashi gem will get you between AA and AAA -

1708991379524.png

Thanks, that helps a lot. Still on the fence about if the A+ strand is worth it or not vs spending the same with T or general pearl. But definitely appreciate rhe pics!

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, that helps a lot. Still on the fence about if the A+ strand is worth it or not vs spending the same with T or general pearl. But definitely appreciate rhe pics!

Remember to ask yourself if the strand will be mind clean knowing you went for a lower quality pearl in the necklace when you had the other option…

@yssie’s pictures show a pretty distinct visible difference, IMO…

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember to ask yourself if the strand will be mind clean knowing you went for a lower quality pearl in the necklace when you had the other option…

@yssie’s pictures show a pretty distinct visible difference, IMO…

Agreed. I need to check with T what price point/quality they have right now. Because if $ were the same I'd want the highest quality

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,
Not sure what I'll end up doing here, but for the sake of helping others I wanted to share some info. Note that all strands are between 6.5 and 7.5mm because I wanted a strand that would feel ok for daily wear and be slightly less expensive than the 7.5-8.5 size range.

Options are the following

Choice 1:
A+ miki strand (there are a few options of these available preloved for around 3k)
One A+ option
s-l1600 (3).jpg

2nd A+ option
s-l1600 (2).jpg

Choice 2:
Supposedly a AA strand from miki in the 3k range. However, there's no paperwork proving it's AA versus A+, A, etc, so I am wary.
s-l1600.png

The strand above is the 2nd from right in this pic of 4
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Option 3:
Gem quality strand from Takahashi (2 options shown), ~3k

418210229_259310000552044_3129945629358675522_n.jpg

418287954_762676962463942_8177406925326661973_n.jpg

Option 4:
Highest available luster option from another vendor I trust (some minor blemishes because I told them I care the most about contrast and luster but can live with tiny blemishes). This is a bit cheaper ~2.5k
08181421_64deffef4bc52.jpg

08181422_64df0017850f8.jpg

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
My two cents:

1. I would skip any strands personally where I can’t verify it’s a real Mikimoto. I feel like it defeats the purpose of paying the overhead cost for the name.

2. I love love it the fourth option. It would be comparing 3 vs 4 for me.

3. Not blown away by the A+ mikimoto strands which don’t look as great as 3 or 4.

I will humbly await more trained eyes than mine to comment however!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two cents:

1. I would skip any strands personally where I can’t verify it’s a real Mikimoto. I feel like it defeats the purpose of paying the overhead cost for the name.

2. I love love it the fourth option. It would be comparing 3 vs 4 for me.

3. Not blown away by the A+ mikimoto strands which don’t look as great as 3 or 4.

I will humbly await more trained eyes than mine to comment however!

What do you think about 3 vs 4?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have no idea what quality these are rated as it doesn't say in the ad, but you could ask. Just a thought.

cheers--Sharon

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think about 3 vs 4?

I trust Takahashi’s and their eye and I would go with them—their photos are true, no color tuning, etc. I like the upper strand of their two, slightly higher luster? But I would ask them to pick lol, their eyes are way better than mine. Their customer service is also great, no issues with shipping, etc, etc. I know I would get a reliable product and experience with them.

4 looks great and hard to compare obv to 3 given the different light conditions and color balance, I do feel that the white backdrop of 4 shows possibly some color skew bc it appears to me to be off white (blue-ish tinged), so I wonder if that might make the strand appear to have greater luster than in real life with the color being a little off (enhancing the reflections). I would ask for more photos of 4 in diff light conditions and some close ups to better evaluate the luster.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I trust Takahashi’s and their eye and I would go with them—their photos are true, no color tuning, etc. I like the upper strand of their two, slightly higher luster? But I would ask them to pick lol, their eyes are way better than mine. Their customer service is also great, no issues with shipping, etc, etc. I know I would get a reliable product and experience with them.

4 looks great and hard to compare obv to 3 given the different light conditions and color balance, I do feel that the white backdrop of 4 shows possibly some color skew bc it appears to me to be off white (blue-ish tinged), so I wonder if that might make the strand appear to have greater luster than in real life with the color being a little off (enhancing the reflections). I would ask for more photos of 4 in diff light conditions and some close ups to better evaluate the luster.

Video of 4 (its on hold for me)

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I like the upper strand out of the two from Takahashi the most. I love the strong overtone colors shown.

I can't compare to option 4 across different pictures but it looks like a beautiful necklace and I do like the blue tones a lot.

My main issue with option 4 comes from the SURFACE quality of the pearls as shown in the video when he was rolling the pearls on the counter next to the window. I could see not only shark-skin (which I am fine with) but what looked like actual little "dips" in a number of the pearls. That defect bothers me more than shark-skin and would make me probably go with Takahashi since I know their gem quality surface will be superior to what I saw in the video.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the upper strand out of the two from Takahashi the most. I love the strong overtone colors shown.

I can't compare to option 4 across different pictures but it looks like a beautiful necklace and I do like the blue tones a lot.

My main issue with option 4 comes from the SURFACE quality of the pearls as shown in the video when he was rolling the pearls on the counter next to the window. I could see not only shark-skin (which I am fine with) but what looked like actual little "dips" in a number of the pearls. That defect bothers me more than shark-skin and would make me probably go with Takahashi since I know their gem quality surface will be superior to what I saw in the video.

So interesting! I didn't notice the surface quality at all in 4. I think I get hyperfocused on contrast and luster and don't look for anything else. Im going to ask for a video of the top T strand (that was my favorite of their 2 options)

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
So interesting! I didn't notice the surface quality at all in 4. I think I get hyperfocused on contrast and luster and don't look for anything else. Im going to ask for a video of the top T strand (that was my favorite of their 2 options)

Worth considering, anyhow.

If you wanted a closer apples-to-apples comparison, you might want to ask if Takahashi had a "Gem Luster with Minor Flaws" necklace --- That might close the pricing gap between the two as well.

Personally, for a $500 difference between necklaces, I wouldn't sacrifice on surface quality and glossiness of reflection though. It's a more muted feeling than luster/contrast but i've learned to appreciate it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Worth considering, anyhow.

If you wanted a closer apples-to-apples comparison, you might want to ask if Takahashi had a "Gem Luster with Minor Flaws" necklace --- That might close the pricing gap between the two as well.

Personally, for a $500 difference between necklaces, I wouldn't sacrifice on surface quality and glossiness of reflection though. It's a more muted feeling than luster/contrast but i've learned to appreciate it.

The difference is closer to 1k, bit it's also about size. T's strand is 7-7.5 and the other is 6.5, so that (to me) makes them even out with price overall

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

1708991379524.png

those top pictures are drool worthy and like from a glossy magazine :kiss2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update:
Decided not to go w any of the miki strands. The A+ isn't high enough quality, and the supposedly AA comes with crappy cell phone pics and no proof of quality.

So in rhe end if I buy anything it'll be either the T strand (waiting on videos/more pics) or the one from general pearl.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am just learning about pearls, but as a rule for larger purchases like this I think going with the known commodity/vendor is always worth the slightly higher cost. So I think you have made the right choice! The T strand also looks like the best quality to boot. It’s worth a little more $$ to get what you want.

concun

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs how did you get in touch with Takahashi? I messaged them on instagram but no response. Thanks.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs how did you get in touch with Takahashi? I messaged them on instagram but no response. Thanks.

I use IG. They have 2 accounts. Which one are you messaging?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@NY_Resonant do you still think the T strand is the best in terms of luster, clean surfaces, etc?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results