shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling me "Hon." Is there a protocol?

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I never use those terms when addressing people, but when they use them towards me affectionately, I find it endearing. It's always another woman who calls me Hon or Dear.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The 30-ish woman behind the counter at Dunkin Donuts kept calling me "hon" after almost everything she said to me and it made me think of this thread. It didn't bother me one bit - I actually thought it was kind of nice and it made for an easy dialogue during my short visit:)

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do believe that God has a sense of humor when it comes to our lives. Ever since I have posted this thread, I have had several young women call me "hon" in the retail setting. I am coming to the conclusion that this is the new thing to do among the younger ladies in order to show that they are trying to be friendly. I am also submitting to the fact that I am being taught a lesson. I need to be much more tolerant and not take matters such as these so seriously.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1428157343|3856860 said:
I do believe that God has a sense of humor when it comes to our lives. Ever since I have posted this thread, I have had several young women call me "hon" in the retail setting. I am coming to the conclusion that this is the new thing to do among the younger ladies in order to show that they are trying to be friendly. I am also submitting to the fact that I am being taught a lesson. I need to be much more tolerant and not take matters such as these so seriously.

I love your postings, House Cat!

Deb :wavey:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was complaining to my older, male boss that I was treated rudely by a client.
He agreed that the client is a notorious a$$hole, and said "Don't worry about it, darlin' "
I felt much better, and calling me "darlin' " (he's a Texan) made me feel like he was sympathetic.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

=)

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1428159812|3856879 said:

I love your postings, House Cat!

Deb :wavey:
Thanks Deb! The feeling is mutual. :))

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't bother me at all if another woman calls me Hon. Usually an older waitress. Midwesterner living in the South.
My husband works as a bartender and I remember a few years ago him complaining there is no safe word to refer to women especially middle-aged women. Can't say "woman." Can't say "miss." If you say "Ma'm" a good chance at least one in group will be offended. He got used to saying "Young Ladies" as in "Young ladies your seating is over here" but one day got raked over the coals by a group of woman for saying that as well....

I swear the English language would be a much impoverished if every single local vernacular was purged from the language.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1428591302|3859266 said:
Doesn't bother me at all if another woman calls me Hon. Usually an older waitress. Midwesterner living in the South.
My husband works as a bartender and I remember a few years ago him complaining there is no safe word to refer to women especially middle-aged women. Can't say "woman." Can't say "miss." If you say "Ma'm" a good chance at least one in group will be offended. He got used to saying "Young Ladies" as in "Young ladies your seating is over here" but one day got raked over the coals by a group of woman for saying that as well....

I swear the English language would be a much impoverished if every single local vernacular was purged from the language.

That's true - it's tough to know how to properly address someone and even when you think you're doing it right, you can easily offend someone.
I have a fairly large group of close women friends and we were all hanging out the other night. I noticed that we all refer to each other as "sweetie", "hon", etc. I assumed that was typical with close friends, but I thought of this thread and wanted to ask how others address their friends?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy said:
part gypsy|1428591302|3859266 said:

That's true - it's tough to know how to properly address someone and even when you think you're doing it right, you can easily offend someone.
I have a fairly large group of close women friends and we were all hanging out the other night. I noticed that we all refer to each other as "sweetie", "hon", etc. I assumed that was typical with close friends, but I thought of this thread and wanted to ask how others address their friends?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that HouseCat (the OP of this thread) was asking how we feel about strangers and colleagues etc calling is "hon" and other terms of endearment. I don't think most of us have a problem with good friends/loved ones calling us these words. In fact my dh and I never call each other by our names but instead prefer terms of endearment like sweetheart, darling and the ever popular (with us that is) booby or bubbala... :cheeky:

And in any case just like in the do words matter thread it is all about intent, tone and the context. I love being called sweetheart etc by my cherished friends and loved ones. Not so much by strangers however it does depend on the context and intent 100%. So not universally offended by the use at all. It just depends on the circumstance. As does almost everything.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
No, you're not wrong, missy - I was just asking of others referred to their friends with names like "hon", "sweetie" - I noticed that in my group of friends, that we do it a lot, so I wondered if others did too. It seems common for people to use these terms in relationships with SO's, so I wondered if the same was true for friendships =)
DH and I almost never refer to each other by our first names either - the few times that we have, it actually sounds sort of weird :???:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results