shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling LIANE...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am absolutely in LOVE with your wedding set!

The colour of the 18k unplated wg makes my heart go pitter-patter as no other metal can
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Would you mind telling me more about it? What alloy did Green Lake use? My stone will be a J like yours (2.7c) - in the pictures your diamond looks much, much whiter than the setting, do you find this to be true in most lighting situations IRL? In a perfect world I want the setting colour to match the diamond from the side
1.gif
How are you liking it 4mo in?

Thankies!
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie did you find your upgrade stone?? Tell tell!

ElizabethRose

Rough_Rock
So...I will take this opportunity to ask you about your upgrade! I love your three stone, but I can''t find any previous threads about making the decision to change it? Won''t you please satisfy this nosey PSer''s curiosity
17.gif
?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie is trying to do a stealth upgrade, but she has underestimated the rabid curiosity of her PS friends
2.gif

ElizabethRose

Rough_Rock
Ah, I see. Thank you Dreamer! Mums the word then, I will wait patiently.

PS can be a tough crowd if you are trying to keep some thing low key. Make one little slip, and the next 10 posters demand photos!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 8:29:32 PM
Author: ElizabethRose
Ah, I see. Thank you Dreamer! Mums the word then, I will wait patiently.

PS can be a tough crowd if you are trying to keep some thing low key. Make one little slip, and the next 10 posters demand photos!

She has never confirmed her stealth plans to me
3.gif
I am just guessing based on her stealthy nature and her posts that allude to a larger diamond. She needs to appease us soon or else we will have to send in the hounds.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stealthy nature, dreamer?

Hmph!
11.gif

But... YES, I FOUND MY NEW STONE!!!! Well, WF found my new stone - I haven't seen it yet. Soon, soon. Will start a new thread this week with (hopefully) tons of pics!! I'm so excited
9.gif

Elizabeth - I loved my three-stone too
1.gif
It was ALMOST perfect. I never could get over the few little things that were bothering me, though, so... live and learn. I do plan to keep the same setting style, just raise the stones a bit so my WB won't block the centre culet - and have it made in this gorgeous unplated wg
30.gif
And because I'm a total size w*** I'm making the big J-jump and gaining a full mm
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie, I am jacking your thread, but of course I am very happy for you! Will you still use the same side stones and will it be a three stone? What color were they?

Am I correct that you had an I color before? Gosh it is so tempting to drop to a J color, you get so many more mm for your buck. I will be deadly curious to know what you think of the change! I too will be upgrading soon, so I shall live vicariously through you for now
2.gif

How will you fit such a large diamond on your itty bitty finger??
25.gif

ETA And I was just trying to bait you by calling you stealthy
4.gif
It worked and you spilled the beans... muahahahaa
11.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer!

You're sweet
1.gif

I did have an I before... I confess, I'm a little nervous about the J. An I in the same size is a pretty penny more, so I figure I can always upgrade later... the J 3.5 HoF was awfully pretty
9.gif
but I had it in hand for all of an hour so perhaps not the best sample.

I've been following your upgrade thoughts
1.gif
I'm very interested to see what you choose! I'm thinking colour is more important to you than it is to me - a J is close to a K, and a big step down from a G
39.gif

I'll be using my 0.9ctw J studs as sidestones, I've worn them perhaps five times in the two years I've had them..same three-stone trellis design. My old sidestones were 0.7ctw Hs, I was originally going to upgrade them to a little bigger to keep the proportions the same but there didn't seem much point in having two pairs of ~0.4ct around so I did a buyback and took the loss.

Wedding cake and reception food tasting is just around the corner, that itty bitty finger may not be so itty bitty in a couple of weeks
3.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I think that you will be happy with the J since you were happy with the large I before. And all of this going on before the wedding... is there a firm "no upgrades" policy after the wedding? Gotta get it in before?
4.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I had my ring made I did platinum because I convinced myself it was better for swimming (and it is) but I never liked the look of platinum and I still don''t. I actually like silver and steel better. I absolutely regret not getting it in unplated white gold and I''m so glad there''s a fan club for it now! I decided to get my next ring done in unplated wg and then when I reset my diamond to do the same. Maybe I''ll have to have it checked up on more, but who cares! I always thought it would look better with my J stone - all like antique lace with the wg and the hue of the stone :)

I can''t wait to see what you do!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2010 10:08:16 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
When I had my ring made I did platinum because I convinced myself it was better for swimming (and it is) but I never liked the look of platinum and I still don't. I actually like silver and steel better. I absolutely regret not getting it in unplated white gold and I'm so glad there's a fan club for it now! I decided to get my next ring done in unplated wg and then when I reset my diamond to do the same. Maybe I'll have to have it checked up on more, but who cares! I always thought it would look better with my J stone - all like antique lace with the wg and the hue of the stone :)

I can't wait to see what you do!!
And that, Cehra, is exactly what I'm hoping for: antique-y and romantically swirly.

I'm sorry you have regrets, though, your stone is a beauty! I suppose at least this way, when you do reset (if I remember right - in a couple of years when you get back?) you'll know for certain that unplated wg is right for you - no wondering 'what if'..

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so glad you bumped this thread or I would never have seen it. I''ve been a bad PS''er lately and haven''t checked the boards in ages.
6.gif

I''m afraid I don''t know exactly what alloy they used at Green Lake. All''s I can say is 18K unplated WG. I''m sure they''ll tell you if you ask, though -- the people I dealt with at Green Lake have always been wonderful.

The diamond is similar in color to the setting but it''s never an exact match. I don''t know if it''s ever exactly "whiter," either. My (admittedly pretty limited) experience with low-color stones is that if you put them in platinum, they look yellower, and if you put them in unplated WG, they look steelier.

Under office lighting, the color match is closest, but the diamond shows a distinct grayish tint. Outdoors, the stone appears to be more of an antique/creamy white, which is the color I fell in love with and was hoping to accentuate. In both cases, I think a lot of what I''m seeing is the metal reflecting upward through the stone, since my stone is almost fully enclosed within its setting (everything from the girdle down is covered).

I can''t get a good side view on mine because it''s bezel-set and deliberately very low to protect the stone. The stone does appear to be pretty much the same color as the metal when viewed from the side, but again, I think that''s mostly because it''s reflecting the color. It would probably be different if it weren''t bezeled.

I really love my ring. I will admit that I went through a period of doubt because most people who see it think that it''s an engagement ring (although it''s not), and I was worried that they would think my fiance chose poorly because I have a big (albeit clean and well-cut) low-colored stone, and every once in a while you see people make snarky comments about that sort of thing in one thread or another. But I feel like a certain amount of second-guessing will happen no matter what kind of stone you buy, so I''d probably have felt the same doubt about some other aspect if I''d chosen differently. And whenever I catch it sparkling or see it outdoors in indirect sunlight, it just fills me with such a sense of serenity and wonder.

Maybe that''s a little too narm-y but it''s true.
2.gif
I love this ring. 18K unplated WG is a really unique look that sets off tinted diamonds so nicely.

Every once in a while I get people asking what the metal is, because even though they like jewelry they''ve never seen it before, so I tell them and sometimes they''re surprised that WG doesn''t actually look like its plating. That''s kind of fun.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for responding Liane, that was really helpful! Sorry I called it a wedding set - I should've said publishing set or something. I think I will call GL and ask what they used, if you don't mind me referencing your rings.

Your descriptions of how the stone looks against the metal have me swooning
30.gif
I hope I'll find they complement each other from the side without the bezel reflector effects! I see what you mean about white vs. yellow - I had an I in platinum that actually looked quite untinted from the side, bright white face-up, I think the darker grey of platinum masks diamond tint better than the bright bright white of plated wg, even though they're both icy, steely metals, if that makes sense? I do believe that white metals (or rather, white heads) are most flattering for colourless or near-colourless diamonds, so I've always gone with white, but I also know that high karat yellow gold is most flattering on my skin, and I like my pieces to all have one colour 'theme' so two-tone isn't an option.. unplated white is the perfect compromise! Though it's unfortunate that there are jewellery salespeople who don't recognize it for what it is.

I did have doubts about the stone before I saw it - colour, clarity, chunky arrows... now that I've seen it, though, I truly love it
1.gif
Bring on the big, low-coloured, clean and well-cut stones
2.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: I just called them, and they did say that if you didn''t specifically ask for palladium-wg then they would have used the nickel alloy, which would create that slightly yellow cast
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results